BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: '04 S500 4Matic
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Slight idle vibration (intermittent)

Hi Everyone

Ever since I bought the car a year ago, I have had an issue with an intermittent vibration. Sometimes it's when the engine is cold (I can feel it through the seat, and the door shakes if it's open - this is even in Park). Sometimes it's when the engine is warm at a stop light. Shifting from D to N seems to reduce it a bit. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all for days at a time. It doesn't correlate to engine or ambient temperature.

Initially I was going to replace the engine and trans mounts but the mechanic says they look fine and are fairly new. Also, with it being intermittent, I didn't think it could be the mounts. If they were bad I would expect it to be more constant.

On Friday I am replacing the spark plugs, spark plug wires, air filter and I am also getting the mass air flow sensor and throttle body cleaned.

I was wondering if anyone can think of any other maintenance activities to do while I am at it? I have a new CPS that I keep in the trunk just in case but I wasn't sure if I should fit this until I need to. I have SDS and there are no errors or codes. I am hoping that it's an issue with the plugs or wires that isn't serious enough to generate a code, but is serious enough for me to feel it.

Thanks
Ollie

(2004 S500 4Matic, 190,000Km, Toronto, Canada)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Get about four feet of 1/4" - 3/8" rubber or plastic hose. Stick one end in your best ear, then use the other end as a probe to listen for the hiss of a vacuum leak. Go all over the top of the engine, and around the engine compartment. Be very careful to avoid moving parts and hot parts! You can tape the probe end of the hose to a wooden dowel or similar tool to make it a little easier to manipulate the probe into tight spots.
noetico likes this.

Wally
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Wally, I will check this out tomorrow and report back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The mechanic replaced the spark plugs, and also did the smoke test for vacuum leaks (he could not find any). He also checked 'fuel trim' which was normal.
On the drive home it was fine, but it's intermittent so I am not saying it's fixed yet.

I will reply again once I have used it for a few weeks.

Oh, and the valve covers are leaking a bit. We have cleaned it up and I will monitor to see how bad the leak is. So next job will be valve cover seals.

Funny that on the way to the mechanic my seat base would move back, but not forwards. On the way back from the mechanic it was fine. I put it down to lack of use. I will check the door control module with SDS later.

Thanks again
Oliver
Dave2302 likes this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 09:15 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 2006 S500 (W220, Designo Espresso, AMG Sport, LWB)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
If you've not had the fuel system flushed, try a serving of BG's 44K fuel cleaner. When I bought my '06 S500 year ago, it would occasionally miss during cold starts and when idling. After two tank refills using BG's 44K mine began running a lot smoother.
I went several tank refills without using it and it began running a little rough again. Now I use it every third or fourth fill up to keep it running smooth.
I've been a fan of their products since 1988!
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasol.../#bg-product-3
doni01 likes this.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:59 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: S500 4Matic 2005
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DGeorge View Post
If you've not had the fuel system flushed, try a serving of BG's 44K fuel cleaner. When I bought my '06 S500 year ago, it would occasionally miss during cold starts and when idling. After two tank refills using BG's 44K mine began running a lot smoother.
I went several tank refills without using it and it began running a little rough again. Now I use it every third or fourth fill up to keep it running smooth.
I've been a fan of their products since 1988!
https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasol.../#bg-product-3
^^ Agreed Great products and I use them often as well.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi everyone
I actually bought a can of BG 44K last year but left it on the shelf for some reason - I think I read it was a bit harsh. I ran some techron through the fuel tank and I only every use the Shell Nitro+ fuel.
I will try BG44K before the next big drive. Am I right in thinking it's best to do an oil change after use?
Thanks
Ollie
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverp View Post
Hi everyone
I actually bought a can of BG 44K last year but left it on the shelf for some reason - I think I read it was a bit harsh. I ran some techron through the fuel tank and I only every use the Shell Nitro+ fuel.
I will try BG44K before the next big drive. Am I right in thinking it's best to do an oil change after use?
Thanks
Ollie
Yes they do recommend changing the oil after running the BG 44K. I personally sometimes do if I am close to an oil change but if I am not close for an oil change, I don't bother changing it.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:53 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
The best way to use a fuel system cleaner is during normal short-trip driving, not on a long road trip. You get much more cleaning effect by repeated heating/soaking cycles than from just running it through on a long trip.
Astro14, doni01 and noetico like this.

Wally
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 04:56 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyp View Post
The best way to use a fuel system cleaner is during normal short-trip driving, not on a long road trip. You get much more cleaning effect by repeated heating/soaking cycles than from just running it through on a long trip.
^^ Great point!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in