BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: 1992 Mercedes-Benz 600SEL
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2004 S500 no key

Hello,

I have a 04 s500 with no key. Dealer says car has to be towed to them to order key and program new key. My question, is there another way around this? Can I just get a used ignition box that has a key and swap out mine so I can start/drive car? Or is there more involved?

Thanks In advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 04:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2018
Vehicle: 2003 S430 4Matic
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEBENZV12 View Post
Hello,

I have a 04 s500 with no key. Dealer says car has to be towed to them to order key and program new key. My question, is there another way around this? Can I just get a used ignition box that has a key and swap out mine so I can start/drive car? Or is there more involved?

Thanks In advance
You'll have to reprogram the new ignition switch with SDS to fit the ECU of the car. I'm guessing you don't have SDS so that option would end up more expensive than going to the stealership for a brand new key.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Strglz,

Thanks for the reply. What all would I need to avoid reprogram. Would the ignition switch, key, and ecu out of the donor car be enough? Could prob get all that less than $300. New key and programming is prob a lil over $500 not including getting it towed there and possibly back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:17 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

The only way to do this is either fit a Complete and matching good used "theft relevant set", (i.e. from the same good running car), this will be Key(s), EIS, Shifter and ME2,8 ECU or .....................

Pay the Dealer to do the Key.

SDS cannot program used parts unless they have been "Virginised" first by an Eepromming expert, and even then IIRC you need a special "Workshop Key" from MB to be able to use SDS to program an EIS !!

Do you know for definite that the Car was running fine before the key got lost, or have you just bought it with no Key ..................

If you've just bought it without Key I'd expect a bunch of other issues, and an unscrupulous seller has just binned the Key

HTH,
Witek_M and STRGLZ like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you, that sounds like a lot. lol

Maybe I will just go the dealer route.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 06:04 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1972
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEBENZV12 View Post
Thank you, that sounds like a lot. lol

Maybe I will just go the dealer route.
If you have clean title in your name. Go to the dealer and order key at parts counter. You will have to sign TRP forms. They will make copies of your ID and title.

Keys are made in MB corporate PDC in Fort Worth, Tx. Once key arrives at your local dealer tow car there. Leave it on tow truck. Sign for a new key. Dealers rep will walk with you to the car and try to lock/unlock, open trunk and start the car. Only then key will be released to you.

Make sure battery is fully charged and in good shape.

There is absolutely no programming at the dealer involved. Key is programmed to the car at PDC. If dealer insists on programming find another.
Dave2302 likes this.

1972 280SEL 4.5
1999 ML320
2000 E320
2003 ML350
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:46 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Are you sure the car runs fine and just needs a key? (Was it running and you just lost the key ? ) Or is this a new/unknown history car and could it be a defect with another portion of the anti theft system ?? If so , Note that your problem
Might not be the key at all- so you’ve spent several hundred dollars buying a useless key you can’t return

If you don’t know the problem is definitely the key , It’s much better to buy the 4 matched parts (key shifter ignition switch and ecu) from a donor car and swap them in . Plus if it doesn’t work you can resell them for about the same price you paid . Matched sets of the 4 parts usually sell for about $360
Dave2302 likes this.

Last edited by tusabes; 02-13-2019 at 03:00 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2011
Vehicle: '00 E55 AMG - '80 300SD - '83 240D
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witek_M View Post
If you have clean title in your name. Go to the dealer and order key at parts counter. You will have to sign TRP forms. They will make copies of your ID and title.

Keys are made in MB corporate PDC in Fort Worth, Tx. Once key arrives at your local dealer tow car there. Leave it on tow truck. Sign for a new key. Dealers rep will walk with you to the car and try to lock/unlock, open trunk and start the car. Only then key will be released to you.

Make sure battery is fully charged and in good shape.

There is absolutely no programming at the dealer involved. Key is programmed to the car at PDC. If dealer insists on programming find another.
This. Do this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:33 PM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 709 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv81 View Post
This. Do this.
I would only do that when I had had the Car on SDS and knew absolutely 100% that the Key is the problem, or for example, if I had owned the Car and been using it the day before, then I lost the key scenario !!

OP has not answered my question which was history, has he just bought a Car with "lost key" ? Is the car known to him etc ?

Just buying a Key because you THINK it is faulty usually results in a waste of 370.00

HTH
cowboyt likes this.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in