post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: '04 S500 4Matic
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Removing battery to maintain it

I am still working on the condo board to allow me to install a power outlet in the parking garage so I can use my battery tender.

I really don't want to use the car in this bad weather.

Is there any risk associated with removing the battery if I am not going to use the car for a month? I thought I could plug it into the tender in the condo.

Thanks in advance
Ollie

(2004 S500)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Also, just to add. I understand I will need to reset the windows, seats, sunroof etc. I was more worried about the risk of breaking something
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2018
Vehicle: 2003 S430 4Matic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Worst case scenario I think you're just gonna have to resync more stuff, the question is what and how. From what I've experienced if you just fully charge the battery before storing it for a month you should be fine.
jimknock likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:38 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 2009 E350 4M Avant Garde, My Mistress 2002 S600, Wife 2014 C300 4M Avant Garde with AMG
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
I use my sister-in-law's condo garage to store my W220 over the winter. First year I disconnected the battery, but big hassle to get things going again.
Since then, for several years, I leave it as is, and once a month connect a NOCO (Canadian Tire) intelligent charger over night. I have installed a NOCO wire extension (provided with lugs) to the battery terminals, which I leave hanging out of the closed trunk. I just plug the charger into that wire extension when needed.
I just plug in a long extension chord from an outlet in the garage, and wrap the extension chord along the water & sprinkler plumbing to the car, and connect the charger. There is no way I could get a dedicated 110 outlet at the the car space (condos!).
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 04:44 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I got one thing to say .....................

linky:- https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w22...ension-18.html

Post #345

:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:06 AM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraut56 View Post
I use my sister-in-law's condo garage to store my W220 over the winter. First year I disconnected the battery, but big hassle to get things going again.
Since then, for several years, I leave it as is, and once a month connect a NOCO (Canadian Tire) intelligent charger over night. I have installed a NOCO wire extension (provided with lugs) to the battery terminals, which I leave hanging out of the closed trunk. I just plug the charger into that wire extension when needed.
I just plug in a long extension chord from an outlet in the garage, and wrap the extension chord along the water & sprinkler plumbing to the car, and connect the charger. There is no way I could get a dedicated 110 outlet at the the car space (condos!).
Canadian brother ?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 2005 S600
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Three weeks is about the limit for how long I would leave the car without running it, or topping off the battery charge.

Since you can't plug in a full time charger, which would be my preference, and you can't add a solar trickle charger, I would suggest one of the following:

1. Run a long cord out to the car for a couple of hours each month with a smart charger. I've got this one: https://www.batterychargers.com/en/p...engine-starter

2. Get a second, small 12V battery and connect it while you bring yours in for a full charge each month.

Now, I've not tried this, but my wife and daughter each have a NOCO portable jumpstart charger. They WORK. My daughter jumped a friend's car that was so dead, she had to use the 'Manual Override" to get it to connect. They have the GB-40. It charges via a typical USB tablet-size (not cellphone) USB brick from the wall. Very convenient.

List price is a bit steep, there are cheaper places to buy it. https://no.co/gb40

I wonder if, perhaps, connecting that to your battery periodically and setting up for a "jump start" would add enough charge to keep your battery topped off?

Current Fleet:
2016 Tundra 1794
2005 MB S600 (100K, Michelin AS3+, M1 0W40)
2002 V70-XC (228K Castrol 0W40)
2002 V70-T5 (198K, Mobil 1 0W40)
1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemount spares, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone. Coincidentally I bought a NOCO 7.2a charger yesterday. The maintenance man in the condo let me plug a long cord across the parking lot. When I plugged it in it showed under 25% charge, so I think I caught it just in time. It's been sitting for a couple of weeks and prior to that has only been out on short trips.

I like the idea of a second battery and swapping them out periodically, and maintaining the 2nd one in the condo.

I just need to figure out Dave's post that he linked to. I can't figure out how I can keep one battery plugged in at all times when swapping.

Also my current battery is a 'Motomaster' which I doubt is as good as a genuine MB. So my next step might be to go to the dealer for a decent battery. The good thing is, I don't think I have an abnormal draw when the car is off.

Thanks
Ollie
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverp View Post
Thanks everyone. Coincidentally I bought a NOCO 7.2a charger yesterday. The maintenance man in the condo let me plug a long cord across the parking lot. When I plugged it in it showed under 25% charge, so I think I caught it just in time. It's been sitting for a couple of weeks and prior to that has only been out on short trips.

I like the idea of a second battery and swapping them out periodically, and maintaining the 2nd one in the condo.

I just need to figure out Dave's post that he linked to. I can't figure out how I can keep one battery plugged in at all times when swapping.

Also my current battery is a 'Motomaster' which I doubt is as good as a genuine MB. So my next step might be to go to the dealer for a decent battery. The good thing is, I don't think I have an abnormal draw when the car is off.

Thanks
Ollie
Motomaster is rarely the best choice in any case.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 09:00 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: W219 320CDI -07 W220 320CDI -01 W210 270CDI -01 EX: W211 320CDI -04
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
jump start cables and spare battery parellel... but ALWAYS wait a while after connect another battery parallel to system, IF either of them is drained, big balancing current is running in cables which means great possibility to 'welding arc' or at least some harmful sparks when connecting cables... (sorry Dave didn't read you thread if you already mentioned it)

honestly I used to use double battery with my W211 but it was pretty ackward playing with cables and two heavy batteries in trunnk, so I went back to conventional way... only if I owned W203 I would use doubles, I never heard any other car so sensitive to voltage spikes...

edit: as a battery I use Varta and Varta only

-Do not try this at home -

Last edited by mersum1es; 02-09-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in