Vehicle: 2001 s55 amg
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Questions about ignition cal and key not turning

My car is a 2001 s55 amg....

So I ran into an issue last night .
My key would not turn in the ignition .
I did a lot of research using the search button but I still have a few questions .
I already ordered a new key remote thingy key fob??? And had to bring my title and all that n it was 300$$ ..
Reason I believe it was my remote was it wasn't unlocking the doors even after I changed the batteries , then I opened it up and found that the power board had the wire wrapped part was dangling around so I rigged it enough to at least unlock the doors. I also seen one of the infrared sensors was loose .
Question 1 . Would this be a cause for the key not turning ? I got it to turn a few times as it made the connection but wouldn't crank the car over or anything .
Question 2 . Are there any specific fuses I should check just encase the remote was fine but happen to brake upon opening it up
Question 3 . Once my key arrive are there any special procedures or steps I gave to take to get it to work ? Or will I simply be able to slide my metal door key into it and gave it turn over and crank the car ??
Thx fir reading my novel guys , I appreciate your time and help very much .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2018
(Thread Starter)
This is the part I 1st initially found dangling around ... then I knowiced the loose infrared sensor that has now completely fallen off
And am I correct , is this a sensor on my finger ?
And could anybody solder these parts back on this remote for me and I could pay them for fixing it ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49831ECE-578B-4DD4-BAAA-571AB10EB5F6_1547332215704.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2480888   Click image for larger version

Name:	F3A09A5D-5EAE-42BE-BB5D-35B2CABCA1E8_1547332360586.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	2480890  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 01:43 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

Yes I strongly suspect this will be the cause of non unlock and non start, my advice is to not try and rig anything to start it, wait for the new Key, if you mess up the Immo on these cars it can write the car off

A Key supplied by the Dealer should work right off the bat

You have to treat Keys, EIS, Shifter and ME 2.8 Engine ECU with extreme extreme extreme care and respect, because if you FUBAR one part you often have no option but to change all 4 Parts then, as they make up the "Theft Relevant" set, (read Immobiliser)

Note that not even SDS Kit can "Re Code" Immobiliser Issues !!

There was a guy IIRC he is @93SoCal400E (< hopefully he will see the call up), he was on here a while back and he has successfully repaired some keys for MB owners, not sure if he could fix one as butchered as yours is but if you don't have a spare then it may be worth a shot !!

HTH,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dave2302; 01-13-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Now I already ordered a new key through m.b dealer but if I buy a key that is the same mh and part Number what would I do to get it working with my car , would a dealer have to further program it? I attached a pic if the receipt for the new key I bought and then the other pic is of the key for sale I'm wondering with how to get it to work with my car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6EB0B740-3868-46A5-A160-AFD8D3F2ECDC_1547476830713.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	2481560   Click image for larger version

Name:	988A9D31-8014-4F47-AA67-035F99C69611_1547477047046.png
Views:	28
Size:	468.0 KB
ID:	2481564  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 10:25 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

No Dealer can do Keys, and the MB PDC (1 in each Country), will not touch a Chinesium Key, they won't even deal with the public

HTH

Dave

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:57 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
First of all let’s go back -
The reason your key would not turn in the ignition is most likely because your car battery voltage was too low !

Start there , at your car battery - and confirm it’s fully charged , do not start investigation at the key
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabes View Post
First of all let’s go back -
The reason your key would not turn in the ignition is most likely because your car battery voltage was too low !

Start there , at your car battery - and confirm it’s fully charged , do not start investigation at the key
No my batteries were just checked and I could clearly see my remote was broken in a common spot but I did check my batteries and even unhooked the trunk battery fir awhile
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Hi,

No Dealer can do Keys, and the MB PDC (1 in each Country), will not touch a Chinesium Key, they won't even deal with the public [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/BenzWorld2/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

HTH
So only route is the route I just took? Through a dealership .... damn
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 11:07 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
No there is another way - swap a matched set of key , ecu, ignition switch and shifter from a donor car

No programming is needed that way . They sell matched sets in Ebay for about $360 taken from wrecked donor cars
You must swap all 4 parts taken from the same car
Dave2302 likes this.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:47 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabes View Post
No there is another way - swap a matched set of key , ecu, ignition switch and shifter from a donor car

No programming is needed that way . They sell matched sets in Ebay for about $360 taken from wrecked donor cars
You must swap all 4 parts taken from the same car
Hi,

That certainly works as I well know
However, that would really be my recommendation for a problem with EIS and or Shifter, Engine ECU and Key problems have cheaper alternatives that retain the Identity and Mileage of the Car

By changing the set, yes the Car will run, but then you end up with a Car that reports the wrong VIN on Diagnostic, also Post Facelift will lose the Mileage on the Cluster, and end up with either ------ or if the Donor Car has a higher mileage, you can end up with your Cluster reporting that higher mileage.

Lastly you definitely need SDS to at minimum check the Version Codings of the used modules and then correct if necessary, otherwise other faults can surface

If he had asked before purchasing the Key from MB, I would have recommended that he first get an Indie Locksmith to test all Keys he had, and then if proven dud, (well in this case, that one he has is definitely FUBAR), either Repair that one and / or program a new pattern Key. In UK we pay around 180 for that service with 1 new Key

BTW, to OP, since you disconnected the Battery expect things to not work correctly when you get it running, like Windows, Sunroof, Power Trunk Lifter etc etc, as these will now need Normalising, the procedures can be found in the Encyclopaedia

Disconnecting the Battery never does "reset" much, that is just "folk lore rubbish", I HARDLY EVER disconnect a Battery on Cars with this much Electronics, it causes far more grief than it is worth !!

HTH,
Witek_M likes this.

Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 01-15-2019 at 01:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in