post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: S500 2000 (W220)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks Dave,

For clarity, is both the driver and passenger side meant to have 28", or is it driver side 26" and passenger side 28"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Secondly, are the Wiper Blades 28" Long ?
Both 28" yes
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Cheers Dave will let all know the outcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Fitted 28" wipers, but the rain sensor still isn't working well..

With the longer wipers, the outermost inch or so of the passenger (left) side doesn't make full, flush contact with the glass (this is right where the rain sensor is), due to the blade being so far away from the wiper arm. Is this always the case? We're using good quality wipers here - full price is $45 each ($90 for a pair!). We waited until they were on sale...

Does anyone know if Benz moved from a 4-segment to 10-segment rain sensor on later models due to problems with the earlier rain sensors?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi again,

Possibly two separate problems, but I have observed the following:

- On all wiper speed settings (auto, slow, and fast), the wipers sometimes just stop sweeping. Switching to 0 and then back on again causes the wipers to start sweeping again. This fault happens intermittently and relatively infrequently.
- Wipers have started not to "home" correctly before stopping, when the wipers are switched off. In some cases, wipers are an inch or two above the proper home position.
As a result, sometimes the wipers sweep once (when the car is turned on the next time), presumably because the car knows the wipers aren't resting in the home position.

Any advice? Obviously I want to avoid a situation where the wipers completely fail, if possible.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:41 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 2005 S600
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
What does SDS say? In my case, the (f) shows the problem to be the motor.

Stopping wiping in the middle of their motion suggests a problem with the motor. My understanding is that the sensor only affects the intermittent setting, which is really "wipe when needed". On low or high, they should just keep wiping.

I suspect you're in need of a motor...about $215 from MBOEMParts.com...
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi Astro14,

I don't have easy access to SDS. But to be clear, when they do stop when still switched on (to the II or III setting), they return to home position before stopping.

It's when they're switched to 0 during wiping they they often park an inch or two out of position.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 12:21 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2011
Vehicle: 2005 S600
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapzboy View Post
Hi Astro14,

I don't have easy access to SDS. But to be clear, when they do stop when still switched on (to the II or III setting), they return to home position before stopping.

It's when they're switched to 0 during wiping they they often park an inch or two out of position.
I think parking an inch or so out of position is normal, isn't it? They're "ready" to wipe again when the sensor says so.

I wouldn't worry to much about that...

But, help me understand here, when they're in position II or III, they keep wiping until YOU select them off, right?

Because in II or III, if they stopped and weren't selected off, then I would suspect that the motor is at fault, or is being overloaded by the transmission.

I've not tried to grease/lubricate the transmission, but I'm certain that there are articles available on how to do it. I would use a white lithium grease. The transmission itself is crazy expensive, like, $1,000 when I saw it once...so, I would sure try to clean/lubricate it before I swapped in a new one...
Dave2302 likes this.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 02:51 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapzboy View Post
Hi Astro14,

Hi,

C' mon now ,

You've been a good W220 owner / member on here long enough to have realised that you really should spend the 'wonga' on your own SDS System, and teach yourself how to use it, with some help from "us lot" if needed

I know I keep 'banging on' about SDS, but it is not just a Diagnostic Machine ................

It is a complete System, an arsenal of Workshop Manuals & Info, Parts Catalogues etc etc, it has all the same Software that MB Main Stealers do, SDS does absolutely everything that the Dealers can do ............... and more (because Developer Mode is not enabled on MB Dealers machines), they are not allowed to use it, it is for Factory use only, but we get it enabled on a clone system

I can never stress enough, with these Cars it is as essential as Screwdrivers, Torx Bits and Spanners

HTH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, fair point Dave, I will talk to Dad about getting one as he would get more use out of it than me, actually. How much are they going for these days? Any recommendations on which one to get?

As for the wipers, yes, even on II or III they stop sometimes.

And they are definitely meant to always park in the home position (especially if they are switched off). My rain sensor doesn't actually work very well, so I rarely use the first setting.
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in