Rear Head Rests - Loud POP, Passenger Side & Center Won't Fold Down - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 2006 S500 (W220, Designo Espresso, AMG Sport, LWB)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Rear Head Rests - Loud POP, Passenger Side & Center Won't Fold Down

Before I embark on this seemingly painful disassembly (https://w220.ee/WIS_91.16_Head-rest/Restraint) does anyone have tips, gotchas, or tricks to offer?
Given so many other plastic things on this vehicle seem to have brittled to the breaking point, I'm guessing the plastic vacuum actuator assembly has broken apart just like the front door lock ones have. I'm really starting to wonder if I'm going to have to fix/replace every one of them on the entire vehicle, or anything plastic that operates under load.
It's a damned shame, too, since most everything else on this car seems to be in near pristine condition!

Feeling down today...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 01:14 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

Don't feel down, a few plastic Vac Actuators are really minor problems to have !!

You are of course quite correct, you do need to disassemble and verify the problem, also replace the faulty Part !!

All Cars suffer with brittle plastic bits as they get older, MB didn't patent the built in grief

IIRC @cowboyt has done a complete shelf strip down, he put up a post somewhere about how to do it, perhaps he'll be along soon to advise where it is if you can't find it ................

Try "cowboyt trunk harness" in the Forum's Google search

HTH,

Cheers Dave
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
@Dave2302 , much appreciated! You certainly do provide a lot of help on the forum! I'll search up and read through the post.
Regarding brittle, I've owned a lot of very diverse cars (Volvo, MB, VW, Lexus, BMW, Subaru, Saab, Honda, Toyota, Audi, Ford, Jeep, Mazda, Fiat, Chevy, Dodge, etc. Most all of them were in my care beyond 10 years of age. Yes, some had brittleness issues. But this particular S500 literally takes the cake! It's the most brittle of them all!
From what I could find out about it's history it's been here in southern Texas the whole time, with the last few years being in Louisiana. All very humid climates. Short of it being a manufacturing defect or specific toxic exposure issue, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why this particular one seems to be so much worse. If this were a wide-spread issue across a given make or model, it would basically make them throw away cars.
IMHO. :-)
/EndRantHere
Breathe in, breathe out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 02:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
You should try owning one of the slightly older MB cars with the biodegradable wiring insulation...
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyp View Post
You should try owning one of the slightly older MB cars with the biodegradable wiring insulation...
LOL... No thanks! I already endured that pain when I had a 1983 Volvo Turbo. The engine wiring harness was French made and the insulation just crumbled off after it was about 10 years old. During the massive rebuild that ensued I basically hand re-built the majority of the vehicles electrical, wire by wire, connector to connector.
(I have actual photos of the rebuild, but not on this mobile that I'm replying from)
cowboyt likes this.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Try "cowboyt trunk harness" in the Forum's Google search

HTH,

Cheers Dave
Dave, I found the post. Lots of good intel in there. But the photos aren't showing up for me. I sent him a PM to ask if he still had them.
Your help (and everyone else's) is greatly appreciated.
Dave2302 likes this.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Hi 4DGeorge,

Responded to your PM; you're not the only one who's run into that. You might have a Web proxy, like I do at work, that blocks pixhost.to, which is where the images are hosted. You do *not* hgave to

Second, I just worked on the rear headrest for my S600 TT. Turns out the left rear one wouldn't go down. So, while I had the interior apart anyway (the right side interior got water in it due to that f****ng reed valve up front--since fixed), I worked on that as well. There's a PDF document that I used for doing this, done by @ricebubbles , the same guy who wrote that w220.ee document. It was a *BIG* help.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w22...l#post10359081

If you heard a loud POP, then it sounds like the air bag that pushes up against the headrest actuator went kablooey. Not sure if those little air bags can be purchased separately.

One tip. That black part on the rear headrest actuator is the actual "actuator" part. It does pull out from the beige section--mine did so reasonably easily--and I had to do so in order to get the darn actuator assembly out. Then, I could use the air fitting tool and disconnect the air hose. In my case, the problem was that one of the hoses (the back one) wasn't plugged in quite all the way, so not enough air or vacuum was getting to the black actuator part to make the head rest move. Fixed now, and it works great. :-)
Dave2302 likes this.

Last edited by cowboyt; 08-18-2018 at 05:17 PM.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
@cowboyt , thanks for the PM reply.
I got into the back of the trunk (because it was easy) and looked at the actuators for the headrests. The passenger side one has broken off, as suspected, and is sitting loose on the gas tank. I spent a few minutes trying to press in those black pieces to release the head rest. Also tried to see if there was anything I could move to manually lay the head rests back down. There's definitely a release mechanism, but I wasn't able to get both sides to let go. No joy.
I did go through the trunk lid and got those items pre-fixed. Much more solid sounding, no more rattles. Added a little sound deadening to it as well. Given shortness of time, I only did a partial treatment.
I'll go read to that PDF and see what I can learn.
Much appreciated.
Dave2302 likes this.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 01:42 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi Guys,

So are we saying you can change these Actuators from inside the Trunk, rather than removing Parcel Shelf trimmings inside the Car ??

Just want to know for future reference since I've never done the Job

Cheers Dave
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
(Thread Starter)
@Dave2302 , No, not suggesting that. I just wanted to get a quick look at what may or may not have been the issue.
But I will admit...the more I look at that gas tank the more I wonder just how easy it would be to remove it. It looks to only have a few bolts and connections to it. If it's already fairly low on fuel... it just might be the easier path.
Five minute later... I found these tank removal instructions:
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...-fuel-tank.pdf

I guess the question becomes: If I were to pull the tank, would there still be any reason to pull the interior out?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf install fuel tank.pdf (109.4 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by 4DGeorge; 08-19-2018 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Found Tank Removal Instructions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in