Android head unit install, anyone have questions? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 328 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 12:20 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post

1) For my 03 I used the CanBus wiring harness (the one with the box attached to it). My radio had the standard euro connector in back, plus one of those (cam, lever to release plugs). To get the canbus working, the kit includes a plug that connects to this cam-lever harness. It has 2 pairs of wires coming off it, a white set and a green set. I assumed the green was correct, but the white ones are actually the ones you need. These then connect to the green B0 plug on the head unit wiring harness.

2) I also did confirm that the stock NAV antenna does not work with this unit, you will need to use the included GPS antenna.

3)I did get an airbag warning, which likely is just coincidental. Haven't had time to diagnose.

4) Still need to connect the illum wire (assuming I need it)
Hi,

Thanks for your detailed Install write up's, I know there will be other forum members who will be very grateful for these, some very soon

If you can stick to the 2 threads you have running now, I will link them in our Encyclopaedia to "immortalise" them EDIT:- Now Done !

1) Yep, that is the correct way to connect to CAN Bus, although my earlier Model Year Car used the Greens Can you confirm, was yours the same Plug as mine ............... The plug with Grey Cam Lever ??

2) What was the reason Nav didn't work ?? Was it just that the "Coax plug" is not SMA so doesn't fit H/U, or did you actually physically connect it and it didn't work ?? It was my intention to fit a new SMA male plug on mine when I get some more time to do it, but mine is working OK right now with the supplied Antenna just stuck on the top of the H/U
See reply 4) below if you did physically connect, maybe your Antenna Amp is not waking ?? Poor Radio Reception would confirm ??

3) Check you haven't pulled a wire from Airbag Module, (behind H/U & HVAC Panel low down on Tunnell), even if it's plugged in now will probably require SDS Read & Reset once an SRS Code has flagged

4) You don't need to connect Illum Wire, or any other of these wires, as CAN Bus does all that, connecting them creates conflicts and then stuff doesn't work correctly ........................

With possible / maybe the exception of your H/U / Antenna Amp wake up, because your Car had F/O Amp, mine did not, and so my "wake up wire" was on the Old COMAND H/U's Multiplug (Blue / Black) and connected to the Erisin's Power / Earth Plugs Blue wire on the new H/U Plug

Just a final note for others doing the Install, you do not need to connect "Acc" wire to Cig Lighter (or anywhere else as some guys claim), once again it is the CAN Bus that wakes up the H/U

HTH,

Cheers Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 07-09-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 328 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 13 GLK350, 03 c320 wagon, 90 560sec
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1) Yes, black with grey cam lever. I'll get a pic later to show the wiring connections in more detail.
2) The nav plug fits, but I tested using the included GPS signal app and could not receive any satellites. When I connected the included antenna they all came up.
3) That's what I'm assuming I did, bumped a wire.
4) I figured that might be the case, I'll verify all function before buttoning the system up.
Dave2302 likes this.
post #23 of 328 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Finally go the JL Audio amp and was able to connect the subwoofer yesterday. As with the w203, the factory sub in the w220 performs a lot better with the JL amp than it did stock. Overall sound quality is good, definitely better than the stock head unit and amp. I'll post more details and pics as I finish up the install.
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 328 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:16 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

How many Watts are you pushing through the Sub?? RMS or MPO ??

Cheers Dave
post #25 of 328 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
How many Watts are you pushing through the Sub?? RMS or MPO ??
I'm using this amp:
XD600/6 - Car Audio - Amplifiers - XD - JL Audio

Claims 100w @2ohms

It's a digital switching amp, so it's very small, just a hair larger than the factory CD changer. It's about 3mm too wide to fit in the CD changer location without modification, so I will probably hack that mount so that I can have the amp bolted securely to a factory part w/o putting any screws into the body sheetmetal.

FYI, I found the amp as a refurb for $350.
Dave2302 likes this.
post #26 of 328 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:15 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

That's a cool amp.

I'm happy with the Sound in mine, so I was thinking just use 100W on my Sub, say a bridged 2 X 50w run from my H/U's Sub Line Out, just for better Sub control

I'll mount that in the old CD Carrier Bracket too Makes sense really, wake up wire is already there, plus it will probably run fine with the now redundant +ve and -ve Power Supply that is already in Left Rear Corner too

I haven't had the time to run the p/n of my Sub Speaker against the Bose one, but even if my Sub blows up it won't be a pain because there are more BOSE Cars being broke up in UK, than non Bose, so I would just swap it for a BOSE one, in fact I think I've got one somewhere in the Workshop Loft

I won't be running it that loud so I doubt I'll have a problem anyway, this is simply a "plan B" Just in case

Cheers Dave
post #27 of 328 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Was thinking about an Erisin Android unit. Then I started doing my due-diligence Googling, and I found these pages.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/erisin.com
https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...mtvap-t3562511
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1773616

Now I'm getting a little concerned about Erisin. Because Xtrons units look very similar, I'm assuming they're made in the same Chinese factory. Is this really a good way to go, I'm now wondering, given the post-purchase reports?
Dave2302 likes this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)
post #28 of 328 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 12:14 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi T,

I read a load of those reports way back when I got mine.

I also read a lot of guys personal install threads and came to the conclusion that a lot of the folk installing them really shouldn't be wiring anything to their cars

After reading the successful posts on here and speaking to @renault12ts I ordered mine. I believe his has been in a long time now and still good.

Mine has not been in the Car long, but is still working perfectly right now, so I'm a happy bunny.

I think for the few hundred horror stories there is probably thousands of satisfied customers out there

Time will tell

Cheers Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 07-18-2018 at 12:17 AM.
post #29 of 328 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 06:06 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2003 S430
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
It appears to be a sad fact that many of the posts reporting problems are from folks who have not yet learned enough about the subject to give good information about what is really happening.

One of my favorite quotes from a very dear friend - "Not being hampered by facts, I can discuss the subject freely". Unfortunately, some folks never realize that they aren't hampered by facts.
Dave2302 likes this.

Wally
post #30 of 328 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:28 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2018
Vehicle: 2005 S55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've been doing a lot of reading on Android headunits as well, as I am in the planning stage for my S55.

Having consulted the forums that I believe to be best informed, r/carav and DIY Mobile Audio, these units do experience problems more often than a headunits from places brands like Pioneer or Kenwood. Of course, this should come as no surprise because your buying something that costs substantially less and comes from China, where poor quality control is the norm.

My biggest problem I've found with these units is audio quality. For the average person it is most likely perfectly acceptable, but I'm going for a higher end SQ setup. The internal DAC in these Android units is pretty dismal and shouldn't be relied on for exemplary quality. With this in mind, my setup will still include a Chinese Android unit, but I will be bypassing it for pretty much all audio. This way I get the features like Google Maps, backup camera, dashcam, and torque. For audio, I'll be using my phone as the source, connected via Bluetooth receiver with AptX and a digital out into a miniDSP C-DSP. This keeps the signal fully digital all the way to the processor and never gets tainted by poor electronics.

So long as you purchase directly from the brand's site or Amazon where you have a known return policy or warranty process, you'll mostly be ok. Knowing that they have higher than average failure rates also means you're better off if you can install and work on a stereo on your own. Otherwise you could end up spending more than you should having an installer put it in and take out if issues come up.
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in