Android head unit install, anyone have questions? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 331 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 11:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Headache on 04-06 w220. I bought a kit for my 04 s55 and sold the kit. You need to rewire the audio system completely. Because the 04-06 are completely fiber optic. On my old 00 s500 i installed a alpine double din. It took me a 2 hours with complete wire tuck and subwoofer (era of loud bass and aftermarket accessories). Later installed a kenwood and ditched the subs when the car sold
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	404CAC40-0C56-4453-AE86-066DCDAC9A6B.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2425343  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 331 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 02:56 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

This is, IMHO, the definitive benzworld thread on this subject:-

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...-new-post.html

However, you need to read and digest the whole thread several times, and do not believe all you read that this and that doesn't work, some of that is because too many wires have been connected where they don't need to be, or menus not configured right

Plug and play it isn't, an excellent and fairly cheap "Factory Look" upgrade it is, well within the capabilities of a competent DIY'er

Rossafuss is pretty much the expert on this
Also there is a guy in, (IIRC), UK who did a great install in his CL, cannot remember his name but he posts on here a bit, he too knows his stuff !!

Cheers Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 05-06-2018 at 02:58 AM.
post #13 of 331 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 04:29 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2017
Vehicle: W220 S Class
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the Xtrons unit, the first one had a hardware fault and I needed to get Paypal involved to get them to pay for return shipping (they first tried to get me to close the case before they would replace it), all replaced ok in the end. Replacement has worked ok for a few months now. Sound quality was mediocre using built in amp, I have fitted JL Audio amps and Hertz speakers and this really shows up how bad the audio quality is. I am now trying to connect a Behringer USB DAC (as other have done, google it), but having some issue because the standard root procedures for these chinese head units isnt providing root access on the current Xtrons unit so struggling to get audio out via the USB DAC.

I have wired power to the car FM antenna amp which makes it a bit better but FM reception still drops out to much for any normal reception at the moment. As I understand it the car has diversity antennas and the Bose audio receiver / amp works with the aerial antenna systems to select the best antenna output at any one time, without the Bose connected clearly this doesn't happen so I presume this is part of the signal strength problem.

I got the Xtrons DAB tuner and their standard internal glass antenna, signal is no where near good enough to listen to DAB even in the city, currently looking at fitting bigger antenna and maybe hiding it in the bumper or something.

Built in hands free mic actually works well and steering call / hang up buttons work, but phone app doesn't always display name of contact that is calling (I end up looking at my smart watch to see who is calling)

Overall they kind of do the job, it works with steering wheel controls over canbus (except you have to repeatedly press the volume key instead of just holding it down) and the next /previous buttons dont work with media player apps other than the Xtrons default app. Reverse camera input works ok, selecting it by canbus signal. Touch screen is nice and ability install your favourite podcast and media player apps and use google maps etc is of course a great plus.

It kind of looks factory but a few people have noticed straight away it is aftermarket due to the slightly cheap finish to the plastic, but not bad for what it is Thru the setup you can configure the button backlight colour (sorry color for those in the US ;-) ) to be almost the same shade of orangey yellow to match rest of backlighting.

Overall its a good idea but a bit pricey for the quality and not plug and play (if you are not technically minded and /or dont like reading up and figuring out they you may want to stay clear). If you like high quality audio you will be dissapointed with the built in amp and also with the pre-outs signal.

If I can get decent sound via a USB DAC then it will be worth it, if I cant then the sound quality is going to irritate the hell out of me.

If I could get a fascia in real wood that allowed me to fit a quality branded double DIN unit I would do that, but the W220 double din adapters fascias are chines plastic faux wood.

Its an ongoing experiment, at this point I would pay more for a decent quality branded solution.

Anthony
Dave2302 and MikeKerr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 331 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

Good info and write up there /\ /\ /\ , thanks for taking the time.

I have to say, I do a lot of DJ'ing with an awesome PA system, and I have no complaints of sound quality on my Android, but there are several differences on my Car compared to the majority.

My Car never had BOSE from the factory, so I had no F/O issues the stock MB Speakers were plugged straight in at the back of the H/U, as they were on my old COMAND. I expect this means that they are regular 4 Ohm jobbies, other guys report strange Ohms readings from the BOSE stuff I didn't bother measuring mine, as the whole system sounds fine as is.
As I didn't have the BOSE to jury rig, this also means that my Rear Shelf Woofer, and Dash Centre Speaker are all working right off the bat

I bought the Erisin unit rather than Xtrons on the advice of a UK ICE Installer that I know, and looking at the connections on the back, they are using a different Main Board, so maybe that makes a difference to sound quality

It definitely sounds as good, if not better than an expensive Pioneer full install in my V Class Minibus, also sounds as good, if not better than the factory unit in my C Class.

Later I may re wire the Rear Woofer through a small Amplifier, via the Erisin's SUB Out line, just so I can get better Bass Control by using the Sub Slider in the Graphic Equaliser, but for a Car system, that is really me just being picky

I gave up spending mega bucks on Car systems years ago, they never sound as good as a Concert Hall due to Car Acoustics, I spent thousands on a full install on my Range Rover years ago, yeah it was loud, yeah it sounded good, but nothing like as good as my home Hi Fi or my Disco PA

My MB Antenna Amp Powers up straight from the Erisin. My FM reception is brilliant considering the remote area in which I live, I am yet to wire up the DAB, as I will be using the DAB Antenna in my rear screen via the MB Antenna Amp, so as the Car never had DAB I have to run a new Coax from behind the Headlining all the way to the front to the H/U. I expect DAB will be as good as my Minibus when in Inverness but DAB is shite where I live anyway, same with DVB TV

The only D2B F/O on my Car was the CD Player and the CTel Phone, both of which have been junked. Phone is Bluetoothed direct to H/U and working fine even just on the H/U's Mic atm, although i will be connecting it to the MB one.

My Steering Wheel Buttons all work fine and change tracks ok when playing from my SD Card. Yes I have to repeatedly press Volume up and Down, but you can configure the Erisin to boot at whatever Volume you wish

I am yet to get the Dash Display working, some say they get Track and Radio Station Info, but mine hasn't but time on SDS Codings may get a result, I'm not that bothered if it doesn't as the Screen is bigger on this unit anyways.

I have no Current Drain issues, but I have set various SDS Coding in different modules to "COMAND Not Present", which is the correct way to do this install.

Can Bus stuff like Boot Up, Reverse Gear, Steering Wheel, Speed Sensing etc is all working fine.

Not much else to report as I'm too busy to go much further atm with the S Class until I get more spare time

Cheers Dave
MikeKerr and cowboyt like this.

Last edited by Dave2302; 06-10-2018 at 10:51 AM.
post #15 of 331 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: 13 GLK350, 03 c320 wagon, 90 560sec
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Update, haven't gotten around to installing in my w220, but put an identical unit in my w203. Given that the units change a lot from version to version, a lot of the details on the older units didn't apply to this one. Some details to consider:
* There is no subwoofer control, so you can't alter crossover or level from the head unit
* Sound quality is OK, but not great. If SQ is a big priority you're better off with a high-end unit from the big makers. This is good enough, equal to or better than the factory head unit, but not as good as the $500+ head units.
* Boot time is excellent, and the performance of the new units is very snappy.
* Using a 6-channel JL Audio digital amp, I'm getting much better performance out of the factory sub. Good enough that I don't feel the need for any upgrades there. I'll be very curious to hear how this does with the sub in the w220.

On the w203 I already had cut the factory amplifier out of the picture, so I used a direct RCA connection to a 6-channel amp in the trunk. I'm only using 4-channels, and letting the amp control the sub.

Notes on the 2003 w220:
* The optical connection is different than the later ones, and all of the xtrons adaptor boxes indicate they DON'T work with the older style connector
* I will plan on just taking the factory amp out of the mix, as even if I did do the optical conversion, I think I'd lose fader control, and it adds an additional DAC to the mix, which would lower the sound quality

I'll add more details as I start the install. I'm not going to bother with the backup camera, TMPS, or any of that stuff.
Dave2302 likes this.

Last edited by Dave2302; 06-23-2018 at 07:33 AM.
post #16 of 331 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 01:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 2005 W215 CL500
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2302 View Post
Hi,

This is, IMHO, the definitive benzworld thread on this subject:-

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/aud...-new-post.html

However, you need to read and digest the whole thread several times, and do not believe all you read that this and that doesn't work, some of that is because too many wires have been connected where they don't need to be, or menus not configured right

Plug and play it isn't, an excellent and fairly cheap "Factory Look" upgrade it is, well within the capabilities of a competent DIY'er

Rossafuss is pretty much the expert on this
Also there is a guy in, (IIRC), UK who did a great install in his CL, cannot remember his name but he posts on here a bit, he too knows his stuff !!

Cheers Dave
I think you mean me...thanks.

2005:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 331 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 12:09 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
Hi @renault12ts ,

Yes, sorry, I couldn't find your posts at the time, there was an issue with the Forum Search, thanks for seeing this and replying .......................

OK Guys, now we have both the Android Experts on board

@jjcarr ,

I agree with you, I think an Aftermarket Amp, is the way to go on BOSE Cars.

Mine is a slightly older ERISIN which I bought at least 12 Months ago, it has SUB Slider in it's Graphic Eq, and an Sub Output Phono ......................
Also my Car didn't have BOSE, so non BOSE Cars IMHO will be fine on the stock H/U Amp and just Amp the Sub, but probably only if you have the Output, not sure if the newer Androids do

Cheers Dave
post #18 of 331 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcarr View Post
* The optical connection is different than the later ones, and all of the xtrons adaptor boxes indicate they work with the older style connector
Typo, they do NOT work with the older style connector. 03 has the D2B optical style.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FOBB01.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	2436449  
Dave2302 likes this.

Last edited by jjcarr; 06-22-2018 at 02:27 PM.
post #19 of 331 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Starting the install process, have a post on running the RCA's to the trunk

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...right-way.html
Dave2302 likes this.
post #20 of 331 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Update on the install, not 100% done but have sound. Install was quite simple. Box comes with several options for connecting. For my 03 I used the CanBus wiring harness (the one with the box attached to it). My radio had the standard euro connector in back, plus one of those (cam, lever to release plugs). To get the canbus working, the kit includes a plug that connects to this cam-lever harness. It has 2 pairs of wires coming off it, a white set and a green set. I assumed the green was correct, but the white ones are actually the ones you need. These then connect to the green B0 plug on the head unit wiring harness. I'll get some pics. With this installed I'm getting the head unit turning on when the car turns on, and get steering wheel control of the volume.

I also did confirm that the stock NAV antenna does not work with this unit, you will need to use the included GPS antenna. I ran it up the a-pillar on the passenger side of the car to the upper corner of the windshield, so you barely see it.

I did get an airbag warning, which likely is just coincidental. Haven't had time to diagnose.

Still need to connect the illum wire (assuming I need it), and confirm radio operation.

Rear amp was a simple install, power from the old amp wire, ground too, and patched into the stock wires for the speakers. I can post the wire colors if anyone needs it. Haven't connected the sub yet, will be using a different 6-channel amp with crossover controls to manage that. Will be using the JL digital amp, which is good quality, compact, runs cool, and has lots of crossover options.
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in