LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: S500 2000 (W220)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sorry Dave I didn't realise you were talking about the drains in the forward part of the boot. So, it sounds like these drains are connected to the (lower) drains (where the battery and CD changer sit)?

In terms of the rear sunroof drains, the leak is only a slow drip drip drip from the rear vanity light - going by what my mechanic said it wasn't feasible to fix the problem, but I will speak to him again about it - I sure would like to have it fixed - I'll never forget the reaction of the person sitting in that seat when water started dripping onto them, which was the first time I became aware of the issue!

Do the rear sunroof drains lead to the same outlet as the boot drains?

NB: noticed condensation on the inside of the rear left tail lights, so I presume this secondary leak is due to a worn/ill fitting gasket on that light. Off to eBay to order a new gasket.

Thanks as always, and I will update you all on progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 10:46 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

Sorry for the confusion

No, I was referring to the ones in the 2 L & R Boot, (Trunk), Wells.

The ones you are describing in the forward Boot, (Trunk), are not drains they are just Grommets, they seal off the Cavity in the Rearward Body Crossmember, just above the Ally Rear Beam / Suspension Cross-Member.

I've just looked at my own W220 on my lift, and it doesn't appear to have any holes underneath the Car in this Cross-Member, so yes it will fill with Water, but I haven't a clue how that is getting water in it, maybe that leaky Sun Roof Frame is allowing water ingress via the rear 'C' Pillars

What your Mechanic is actually saying is that it will be quite involved to fix rot in a Sunroof Frame, and it requires removal of Headlining etc etc to effect a decent repair via Welding, Paintwork etc etc, it is a job for a real good Body Shop
However, if you are serious about your Cars, like I am, it needs doing

Cheers Dave
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Dave, will follow it up later today and let you know how it goes. I also suspect the sunroof drains via the C pillar...

Out of curiosity, if you pull those forward boot grommets off on your W220, and stick a finger in, do you feel a pool of water on either side?
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Update:

Have removed CD changer and battery. Have removed grommets from both drain holes on each side, tested that each drain is clear and all good there.

Also tested the infamous front passenger "reed valve" (plenum chamber) drain and this is clear too.

Dave, at this stage you know more about where this pool of water sits than I do - is the rear SAM and all electronics safe?

It seems odd that there would not be an external drain for this cavity, given the possibility of water ingress and the need to drain it away to prevent corrosion.

We will probably know more once we remove the boot lining which hopefully will be done tomorrow - as well as fitting a new front windscreen, and driver's side mirror - unrelated jobs :-)
Dave2302 likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapzboy View Post
Thanks Dave, URGENT UPDATE:

I just removed the other grommet at the forward end of the boot (near the rear seats), and on BOTH SIDES there is clearly a large BODY OF WATER just beneath each grommet - I suspect the drain/s further downstream of these grommets is BLOCKED - in the meantime I will try and look under the car for it, but in case I don't find it, can anyone please help me with the exact location of the drain I need to unblock?

This body of water is SCARILY close to where the rear SAM would be...advice greatly appreciated in advance!!!!

Image attached for clarity.
That grommet at the front of the trunk is up high , and not what we are talking about - the drains are much lower , in the left and right side trunk wells where the cd charger and battery are located

That's where you need to worry about water pooling, like here is a picture of the right side with the battery removed you can see its full of water !!

Last edited by tusabes; 08-28-2017 at 11:52 PM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
tusabes thanks for the reply and photo; yes, I have checked both drains (there appear to be two on each side, in your photo the rearmost one is a much smaller hole) in the CD changer and battery wells.

Out of curiosity, where did the water originate from in your photo?
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 AM

Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Hi,

No, there is no pools of water anywhere in my W220, but like I said, the first thing I did was clear all the Drains on the Vehicle when I serviced it.

The Drains in the Wells are the one in Tusabes Photo with the Cable Tie floating near it

Mirror Image on the Left Side

Cheers Dave
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Yep those are the drains I checked today and all is good with them, water flows out freely onto the ground when poured into the drains.

The water in the cross-member cavity is curious, I will advise more once known. Is this cavity far enough from the rear SAM/any other electronics that the car is safe for now?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Update:
We drained (vacuum sucked) one litre of clean looking water from each side of the cross member cavity (two litres total). At this stage we don't know how the water got in there, or whether there are drains for these cavities but it appears they are separate chambers. I have my doubts that the water entered these voids via the boot (grommets were still in place until I removed them), possibly the water has entered from the C pillar (rear sunroof drains?) but I don't know yet. Surely with any cavity/void in a car, drains would be installed at the bottom in case of water ingress?

We believe the leak into the boot itself is from the rear upper corners, possibly under where the spring attaches. This area has been sealed previously on the inside (on both sides). From there, the water tracks down behind metal cover plates and the plastic cowling at the back of the boot, and can enter the tail light assembly (and pool at the base of it). We also suspect the water tracked forward to the front of the boot, which was the initial and main "leak" that I noticed (carpet was very damp in the front left corner of the boot).

We did have to get someone in the boot and spray water with a hose to get this far. What I plan to do next is pour water gradually higher in the left corner until we work out where it's coming in, unfortunately we may need to disassemble the spring attachments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in