Date registered: Nov 2013
Vehicle: V220 Ambiente S500 W220 SLK320 R170 C200 CDI W203 Peugeot Expert Van
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi Brian,

The CAN Bus connection is what makes the H/U wake up, do not connect Acc +

CAN Bus also works the Reverse Cam at H/U end, does illum, steering wheel buttons etc. You have made no reference to a CAN Bus decoder above, did one not come with your head unit ?? You need this fitted for steering wheel buttons to work

The Blue/Black Wire on your old COMAND is to wake up things like Antenna Amp, Bose Amp etc etc, and should be connected to the Blue Wire on ERISIN Power plug. That is probably why your radio is not working.

All those other little wires that say steering wheel sw, Reverse, illum and a load more just do not connect when using a CAN Bus Decoder.

HTH, Cheers Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 505 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:11 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: W220 2003 Update S500L, W204 2008 C220 CDI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via Skype™ to ricebubbles
Hi Dave,
My Erisin ES7882S has a built in CAN Bus Controller, hence no need for an external one.

Tomorrow I will try connecting the car's OEM Blue/Black Wake-Up wire to the Erisin #13 blue wire marked "ANT/AMP Control Cable".

For my test tonight, I connected an old fashioned multimeter to the car's OEM Blue/Black Wake-Up wire. I have now left the car parked and locked for several hours and checking the meter through the window, it is still showing +12V. I suspect the car is not going to sleep and is still looking for the missing COMAND. From what I have read using SDS to code COMAND not present may just fix this issue.

I have now also read and re-read the supplied User Manual which is pathetic. The images are very hard to see the detail and the Chinglish makes it difficult to understand.

Regards,
Brian
Dave2302 likes this.
post #333 of 505 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
Just thinking about my previous post, I cannot fathom how having an internal CAN Bus Controller can do anything unless it has a connection to the car's CAN Bus. So far I have only +12V, Gnd and two fibre-optic connections to the Head Unit and Fiber-Optic Decoder Box BS001. Maybe I will have to connect some more wires?
Dave2302 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 505 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi Brian,
@ricebubbles

Sounds like your unit is a newer ERISIN than mine, connections are slightly different.

You will need to connect 2 wires to the Cars CAN Bus, the ones you need to connect to are under Carpet on Left Rocker Panel, Twisted Pairs one Brown / Red and the other Brown.

There must be 2 wires from H/U that will connect to these twisted's on the car. This is why it is not waking up without Acc Connected

Right, just nicked the pic below, I've added the Red Arrow, that is the CAN Bus wiring, (green Twisteds that my arrow is touching), from H/U which needs to go to Car CAN Connector. I wouldn't mind betting, if you have just plugged the 2 connectors there together, if you look at the Connector on the Car they aren't actually connected, because your old COMAND HU was communicating to the Amplifier via F/O and the COMAND CAN Bus is actually hard wired at the Amplifier

Tell me if that theory is correct or not please, but above you said that your old COMAND only had 3 wires, so no CAN at old COMAND H/U

Regarding the Blue Black on your Car, do not connect this to "SWC & Other Control Cable" Harness in my pic below, see if there is a Blue in the same Harness as the CAN wires, if so connect there, that's how mine is, and Antennas work fine on Radio.

ACC+ should not be Connected nor any of "SWC & Other Control Cable" ................. This is where a lot of the guys having problems are going wrong This harness is not needed on a CAN Car !!

HTH,

Cheers Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedAutoradio-Erisin-ES7882S-7-Radio-DVD-Android-8-0-GPS-4G-DAB-TPMS-extra-big-346570-546_LI.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	2442273  

Last edited by Dave2302; 07-21-2018 at 02:26 AM.
post #335 of 505 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi again Brian,
@ricebubbles

OK, a little addition to my post above ..........................

If you connect the 2 H/U CAN Wires, disconnect the Acc+ and then she still doesn't wake up when you switch on ignition to Acc position, simply reverse the 2 Green twisties !!

Don't forget to twist the pair of wires that you need to extend down to Rocker Panel location

Once you get it to wake without Acc + try the Volume Button on Steering Wheel, it should work

Note that my ERISIN requires repeated presses to raise the volume one "step" at a time, unlike the COMAND HU, where you could just press and hold + / -

HTH,

Cheers Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 07-21-2018 at 02:31 AM.
post #336 of 505 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2004
Vehicle: 2006 S500 AMG Wifes Rig Hillbilly Girl 02 ML320
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokiesman
Rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated! Howdy Dave ! My goodness you have been a very busy lad! Received a note from MikeKerr the other day wondering about my fate! Well the Starship knock on wood has not been giving me any trouble so I have not been hangin out here. So checked in dropped Mike a note and started catching up on whats going on here. Well it took me most of the day to read all yer posts! LOL. Some of that early no start stuff was a tad deep for me but I kept reading.The suspense was killing me ! Will it go or not ? Well between all the technical stuff and yer Scott lingo on various items ya gave this old Yank a few good laughs . When I bought my car I told people that I bought me a Starship and you proved my point on one of yer posts explaining the German lingo. The one term that caught my attention was the one about Warp Boost ? I am still looking for that button? You must have got very tired doing all that work because I got tired just reading about it! But seriously man you have done a awesome job on that critter and by doing so helped a few folks here to. Will try not to be gone for so long next time! Ya all take care mate and keep the rubber side down. I will be watching !

Smokie
Dave2302 likes this.

Last edited by Smokiesman; 07-19-2018 at 08:52 PM.
post #337 of 505 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 06:22 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
Another update after two more days of tinkering.

Have now got all functions working on the Erisin ES7882S Media Player and am now very pleased. The sound quality is as good as the original and I do not miss the lack of fade. The steering wheel controls for volume work. The picture quality with a DVD playing is superb.

As Dave said the trick was to connect the CAN-B Bus (Internal bus). I found I do not need the OEM Wake-up signal (blue/black wire) connected at all. The Erisin powers down once the ignition key is removed and powers up again once the key is inserted all via the MOST fibre-optics.

I had to use a piece of wire stuck in the AM/FM Antenna port to get the AM/FM radio to work and will use the M-B OEM antenna with a powered splitter once I purchase all the cables. The other output from the splitter will feed the DAB+ Box. My test with the stick on window antenna proved that the USB DAB+ Box works but the placement of the antenna is critical. I had to hold the earthy side of the antenna and place it right against the windscreen to get a good signal. Without the ground (me) in place, there was no signal.

I even tested the Reversing Camera by poking the video cable through the window and connecting it to the green video in. Media Unit mutes the sound and rear view picture comes on the moment the gear shifter is put into Reverse. Even has guidance marks on the screen. Havenít tested whether they move when you turn the steering wheel as my car is basically immobile while all in pieces. I didnít need to connect to the Reverse Camera wire as the MOST must tell the Media Unit that the car is in Reverse.

I will now go ahead and order the 5m cables for the GPS Antenna and AM/FM Antenna plus the powered splitter. Plus a couple of new SD Cards for the GPS and the Dash Cam storage files. Dash Cam is very good quality and was easy to stick to the front windscreen just adjacent to the rear view mirror and route the cable down the A-pillar and behind the glove box. Most people wouldnít even notice it being there except for the red LED when it is on.

When I get more time I will try to root the system and then add a M-B logo on start-up and I also like to use black wall paper as it is easier to see the icons.

Here is my diagram of the main connections but without the optional extras or the antennas shown.
S500 Resurrection, Dave's Thread-erisin-es7882s-main-connections-no-options

I just realised what I didn't test was the mobile phone. My Samsung S7 connected perfectly via Bluetooth and used it as a WiFi hot spot and updated all the Apps via Playstore. I did notice that the WiFi reception was poor as my mobile phone has no trouble picking up my house WiFi over about 20m range but the Erisin with its tiny little WiFi antenna couldn't find the signal at all. I tried a larger WiFi antenna off an old modem which didn't help but the Media Unit would not fit in the dash space with the large aerial fitted anyway. So it looks like I drive very close to the house for map updates or just use up some mobile data.

I have spent tonight trying to understand where the four microphones (A67b1) in the rear view mirror go. They seem to connect to the Voice Control system (A35/11) which StarFinder shows as being in the trunk. But I don't have such a device in my car and there are no microphone connections to the Audio Gateway (N93/1) which I do have. I suspect the mike signals once sorted are distributed where needed via the MOST fibre-optic system. I will try to do some tests to see if they are being used for a mobile phone call.

Regards, Brian
post #338 of 505 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi Brian,

Nice Work.

Now, that Blue Black wire, it is not there to wake up the ERISIN, it is for the ERISIN to wake up the Antenna Amplifier (on my car), on yours it may be to wake Antenna Amp, BOSE Amp, or something else.
If you have a Blue wire coming from your ERISIN main harness, not the redundant one, (SWC etc harness), then I suggest you connect that Blue to the Blue / Black on the Car

As an aside, it is the CAN Bus that wakes the ERISIN, not the F/O.

BTW, when you set your dash menu to Audio, you should find you can change tracks and radio stations from steering wheel, and also Call Answer / Hang Up button should work
By using SDS you can code out the redundant Tel and Navi Menus in the Dash Cluster

Finally, you don't need to root the Android............... A wallpaper can be added to and then from your media card, and the MB Logo is already there in Factory Settings menu, just enter the pass code

Hope this clarifies,

Cheers Dave

Last edited by Dave2302; 07-22-2018 at 06:57 AM.
post #339 of 505 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 05:34 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Lifetime Premium Member
Thanks Dave, that is great news re the logo and wallpapers. Will give it a try when my new SD cards arrive. BTW do you know what maximum size SD card the H/U will accept? I have seen 32GB mentioned but that seems low now.

Still not sure about Erisin blue wire. I didn't mention that I spent a day measuring the signals on the MB OEM Wakeup blue/black wire and the Erisin Amp/Ant-Con blue wire. I had to use my oscilloscope to see if they carried pulses (data).

The OEM Wakeup blue/black signal sits at +12V when the car is both locked and asleep, and unlocked. It momentarily pulses low to 0V when the ignition key is turned from off to on. This occurs regardless of whether the COMAND is fitted or not and I suspect the Wakeup signal originates in the EIS. There are no other signals on that wire.

It is a bit hard to tell what the CAN-B signals mean as there is heaps of CAN bus activity the moment you unlock the car. I also cannot easily monitor the MOST signals without designing an optical interface. Could be a good project in itself but I currently have enough to do fitting my Distronic as well as the Erisin.

As you said and as per my last diagram, my Erisin doesn't need the MB OEM Wakeup blue/black connection to properly turn on. Will investigate antenna issues when my new extension cables arrive in a few weeks.

I also monitored the signal on the Erisin Ant/Amp-Con blue wire. With the Erisin powered off, the blue wire is at 0V. It jumps to +12V when the Erisin turns on. It seems to me that it is a source of Media Unit switched power which could be used to activate/control external antennae or amplifiers if required. I plan to try using it to power my AM/FM and DAB antenna splitter. ATM I am not game to try connecting it to the OEM wakeup blue/black wire.

Now that I have assessed the sound quality and am very happy with it, I took your advice and removed all the loud speaker wires from the large Erisin connector. I will do the same on the smaller connectors when I have finished with all the optional extras and antenna extensions. It makes it a lot easier to fit the H/U in the dash.

Still not sure about whether to persevere trying to use the MB OEM four microphones. I understand they have a directional quality focussed on the driver with good extraneous noise cancellation. Will give it a try but I cannot find where to connect to atm.

Regards Brian
post #340 of 505 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Hi Brian,

I couldn't see the Wire from MB Mic, and even if I had it would have involved soldering a tiny plug on the Cable, maybe extending the Cable !!

What I did was to buy the ERISIN one.

I removed the UCP, and then removed the MB Mic Capsule from it's housing in UCP and swapped them, dab of hot glue to hold it in position !!

I ran the Cable down behind the A Pillar Trim and plugged into the ERISIN, job done !! Works a treat !! Still in the MB "Omni Directional Mic Housing", FWIW the actual Mic Capsules look near identical in design

Re fit UCP and you'd never know I'd been in there

Cheers Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in