Schrodinger's Cat Update AKA 2003 S55 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes 300CE, 1998 E430(sold), 2000 S430, 2003 S55, 1998 VW Golf(sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Schrodinger's Cat Update AKA 2003 S55

So this has been a rough install. Mostly I think it was due length of time the engine was out.

So the issues of the install
1 Heads took way too long to be serviced
2 Engine took longer to build
3 Engine took longer to install
4 Torque convertor miss aligned( actually it was not the threads on the torque convertor I could not see as the suspension dropped and the car was low)
5 Support bracket that runs from the tandem pump to engine mount was installed while engine was out, so I had to remove it to get the AC compressor in. Was a pain to remove and a whole lot worse to put back in
6 Mount the power supply for the starter alternator on wrong bell housing bolt so have to remove it
7 Exhaust flange right the one copper nut popped out so trying to install the copper nut and get the bolt in nuts
8 Left exhaust flange was a B*T*H(still have one bolt to get in)

With all this said all I can say is Schrodinger's Cat is alive and very healthy!

So with one step forward and 6 steps back I figured I am going to fire it up. Took way too long for the tandem bracket, exhaust flanges and wasted time on the torque convertor for nothing.

So I was very frustrated and was loosing it, still not sure if I should have built this engine up or used my old one, it was hot, no room under the car and the list goes on. At this point pretty much everything under the car except for one exhaust bolt was hooked up. No coolant lines are installed, AC wire/one bolt needs to be installed, no tandem pump tank installed or any lines bolted to the oil pan. I said to my self I am going to see if it will run or not, because if it is dead/loud off to auction it goes. Well I spun the engine over with the fuel pump fuse pulled. Put the fuse in and it spun a bit more without firing. Turned off the key tried it again it sprung to live. Valves and timing chain pretty noisy. Let it run 30-40 seconds. Shut it off. checked around all looked good, fired it up again let it run a little, shut it off fired it up one more time ran fine. So I let it sit fired it up once more and gave it a bit of a rev sounded nice, shut it off fired it up engine ran silent. No lifter noise sounds very strong. Noticed smoke coming from under the car. Look and one of the transmission lines(driver's side) was leaking. Funny thing is I never touched these. Tightened it up used brake clean to clean up all the fluid stop leaking, noticed right one is slightly leaking. So I need to deal with that tomorrow. While under I looked for leaks from the engine have an oil leak at front corner bolt driver's side lower pan.

So tomorrow coolant system assembly, tight right side transmission line, tighten AC compressor/attach wire, install tandem pump tank, fan shroud/ fan, air boxes and belts. Then I will let it run for a while. If it runs properly I will take it off the car ramps and pull it out so I can clean where it sat to finish the under items left.

The engine sounds so nice and could not believe how easy it started. I hope this is a good sign but till it runs for a bit with coolant I will not know.

We will see what happens tomorrow one hurtle at a time.
compaddict and MikeKerr like this.

I would rather push a Benz then drive anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:59 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 2002 S430
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
It's alive!!!!
Well done Scott this is great news, looking forward to the finish. You'll have to posta video of the little girl running for us.

Dean
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes 300CE, 1998 E430(sold), 2000 S430, 2003 S55, 1998 VW Golf(sold)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkster View Post
It's alive!!!!
Well done Scott this is great news, looking forward to the finish. You'll have to posta video of the little girl running for us.

Dean
The thing I have concerns about is the ABC, mine was 100% car could sit for months without dropping. I hope it will be the same once it is back together.

Do you know if you can rodeo the car with Carsoft 7.1?(pretty sure that is the version I have)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jul 2013
Vehicle: 2002 S430
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
No idea Scott I have had nothing to do with the Carsoft range. Will the iDiag do it? Failing that I ask if someone in the area with a DAS setup could help. May not need it, wait and see what happens when it is all back together and running.

Dean
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 10:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: Too many to list
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
No need to rodeo it if it's working , just a few raises and lowers using abc button is fine
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tusabes View Post
No need to rodeo it if it's working , just a few raises and lowers using abc button is fine
So I have coolant in the car and all belts installed. I am getting a message on the cluster Display Defective ABC vistit workshop not in red.
The only code I am getting is C1525-004 Critical vehicle level rear left current and stored

The car is not raising or anything press the switch and nothing

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
So more work and there is light at the end of the tunnel

So there is some light at the end of the tunnel. So last night when I fired it there was a slight miss to the engine. I thought it was because of the secondary air pump to the supercharger was off. I reinstalled that and still a miss on the engine. The car sounded very strong but a slight miss.

So with the coolant in the car I let it run just in case it was a learning issue no still a miss. Grabbed my X431 and I will tell you the car runs so smooth with all the injectors plugged in. Number 6 was not pushed all the way in.

The oil leak I thought I had from the front of the pan was actually that cover with the allen bolt in it. It was finger tight. I never touched that on the replacement engine and never thought to check it. So oil leak fixed fingers crossed.

I am chasing fluid leaks from the transmission lines like crazy. I tightened the banjo connectors on the transmission and that stop one leak. Now I have a leak from the union at the lower oil pan of the engine.
Is that a compression fitting or is there an "O" ring in there. I never loosened any transmission lines and the have all seemed to come loose.

Last issue the ABC does not seem to be doing anything. The car was running for a good 15 minutes and the suspension did not budge. I press the switch and nothing. I have check the electric connection at the pump it is tight.

I do get a message on the centre cluster Display Defective ABC visit workshop. It is in yellow not red. I do have a code of C1525-004 Critical vehicle level rear left. Not sure if this is shutting down the ABC system or not. I need to get these issues figured out so I can test drive it

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2016
Vehicle: 2005 Mercedes-Benz S600
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
ABC

Good going Scott! Hopefully she will be fully fit very soon.
About the ABC warning - do you see any Pentosin leaked around the struts or anywhere under the car? The critical vehicle warning usually points towards a failing valve block - in my case it was the front valve block and I had the warning for front left. Rebuilding it and replacing the o-rings solved the problem for me.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prs600 View Post
Good going Scott! Hopefully she will be fully fit very soon.
About the ABC warning - do you see any Pentosin leaked around the struts or anywhere under the car? The critical vehicle warning usually points towards a failing valve block - in my case it was the front valve block and I had the warning for front left. Rebuilding it and replacing the o-rings solved the problem for me.
I removed the engine from the car Nov 2015. Things just took too long to get done.
The car actually was sitting at a normal level till about Feb then it slowly leaked down. Mercedes says it should sag after a couple weeks. My car was always good at sitting at normal height and the ABC was working 100%. There are no puddles of fluid, so I am thinking it must be electrical.
Since the engine install the ABC is dead and I get that warning. It did not even try to pick raise after the car was running for awhile. Buttons are unresponsive all I get is that warning.

Not sure if I should try ant raise the rear of the car with a jack to see if it will pick up under it's own power or not. I would clear the codes after raising it with a jack.
I am sure I read somewhere that the system should be pressurized after a new tandem pump install. I did not pressurize the ABC fluid tank, as my pump still had fluid in it.

I am at a loss with this one

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:48 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2016
Vehicle: 2005 Mercedes-Benz S600
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
ABC

Since it was all working properly before the engine rebuild, I think your problem may just be the re-priming the ABC pump. Do you have access to STAR? If yes, you can easily monitor the ABC system pressure - normal pressure must be ~180-200 bar. When the pump isn't primed, the system pressure is very low and ABC goes into lockdown mode. In this case you will see pressure values of 10-20 bars or something like that.

To prime the pump, you need to pre-pressurize the tank to about 1 bar. Refer to the post here.

While you are at it, it would be a good idea to check the colour of ABC fluid in the tank. It should be light green. A brownish colour with burnt smell indicates very old fluid that must be flushed immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in