Schrodinger's Cat Update AKA 2003 S55 - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2010
Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes 300CE, 1998 E430(sold), 2000 S430, 2003 S55, 1998 VW Golf(sold)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prs600 View Post
Since it was all working properly before the engine rebuild, I think your problem may just be the re-priming the ABC pump. Do you have access to STAR? If yes, you can easily monitor the ABC system pressure - normal pressure must be ~180-200 bar. When the pump isn't primed, the system pressure is very low and ABC goes into lockdown mode. In this case you will see pressure values of 10-20 bars or something like that.

To prime the pump, you need to pre-pressurize the tank to about 1 bar. Refer to the post here.

While you are at it, it would be a good idea to check the colour of ABC fluid in the tank. It should be light green. A brownish colour with burnt smell indicates very old fluid that must be flushed immediately.
I only have a Carsoft 7.4 and the Xdiag 431. I will try and pressurize the tank and see if that helps.
The fluid in the tank is new, the old fluid was decent.
Cheers
Scott

I would rather push a Benz then drive anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:04 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2016
Vehicle: 2005 Mercedes-Benz S600
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Good luck!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes 300CE, 1998 E430(sold), 2000 S430, 2003 S55, 1998 VW Golf(sold)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Good luck!
I did actually check the pressure with my Xdiag 431 I can not remember if it was 138 or 1.38 bar either way it is too low.
Thanks for pointing out the pressure it makes me retrace my steps.

I will figure out tomorrow how to pressurize the tank. Think I might just set my air compressor to one bar and use a fitting to connect to the tank. Or I will come up with something else
Thanks once again
Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:20 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

That explains why you don't have a red warning - between 100 and 150 bar you get a white/blue warning, and below 100 it goes red (system shutdown). But 138 indicates the pump is indeed primed. So it points towards a leaky valve block or leaks somewhere else. I do hope pressurizing the tank fixes it. Keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChalmers View Post

I did actually check the pressure with my Xdiag 431 I can not remember if it was 138 or 1.38 bar either way it is too low.
Thanks for pointing out the pressure it makes me retrace my steps.

I will figure out tomorrow how to pressurize the tank. Think I might just set my air compressor to one bar and use a fitting to connect to the tank. Or I will come up with something else
Thanks once again
Scott
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2015
Vehicle: 2011 S63 , 2005 SL55 Past 1961 220SB, 2005 S55
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Premium Member
Have you tried putting the car in drive or reverse?
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by compaddict View Post
Have you tried putting the car in drive or reverse?
Hi
No I have not tired that at all. I will give it a try and see if that will wake up the ABC

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Warning lights and the sound of the engine in this video. My supercharger is noisy. I do have a spare but will worry about this later.

I guess what I need to do is get the transmission cooler lines to stop leaking and get the fan in the car and let it run to see if the suspension will pick up.

According to my Xdiag 431 the B4 pump pressure is between 180-200 bar

post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
The Cat is Alive but Bleeding

So this ABC problem was really getting to me, so after diner I went downstairs to try and get to the bottom of it. I actually tried to stay away from the car today but did not last. I need this problem solved because I cannot check the fluid level on the transmission, ABC or even the engine with the front end two feet off the ground and the rear bumper sitting on the ground.

So I went down and figured I need the car running for awhile so I need the engine fan in and the transmission cooler line leaks stopped.

I tightened all the lines and bolted them to the oil pan like they should be. Took a guess and put 2 3/4 litres of transmission fluid in the car.

Installed the fan shroud and fan it started car let it warm up fan cam on and no transmission fluid leaks, two down more to go.

So checked codes just the same Display Defective ABC Visited WorkShop.

Figured I would try putting it in gear to see if that wakes up the ABC. Nope. Tried jacking up the rear of the car to see if that does it. Nope. Then I thought maybe it is because the front end is 2 feet in the air, so I dropped the front off the stands Nope. Thought maybe it just needed time to charge the system(was hopping anyway). Nope.

So now I am into this for about 1 1/2 hours the car running a very good part of the time at least 70%.

Now I am just grasping at straws on what to check. I have the car's fenders sitting on all the tires so it is a paperweight. So figured I will shut it down and call it a night, so disconnected the negative battery cable and was ready to pack it in.

One last thing I figured start checking relays then call it a night. I figured should start where I disconnected everything all the computer connection tight. So I just happened to look at the fuses and saw that a 5 amp fuse was just sitting in the holder, then I noticed that the white fuse block were not pushed in either. Pushed all in as it should be crossed fingers and connected battery cable

Got in the car turned the key on and in big red letters VEHICLE TOO LOW VISIT WORKSHOP!!!!! I have never been so happy to see a red warning on my ABC in my life, I noticed that the switches lights were on. I turned them all off and started the car. I heard noise and felt the car raise. Just left it for a few minutes the red warning was gone. Hit the raise switch the car lifted, hit the second ride position it moved more.

Car's fenders are off the tires. So thought it would be best to get it on the street as it would be a better level ground. Drove the car out and wow was it sitting wonky. I read that if you cycle through the raise and lower a few times it will get the air out. It helped but the car was still sagging on one side.

Took a look at the Xdiag 431 and saw dynamic test. I tried it this is what Star calls Rodeo. I ran the test twice and the car is sitting much better. I figured I would stop as I have no more ABC fluid and was getting late the car was very close to level a good point to call it a night.

So with the above said here I sit with the following
The engine runs very smooth, quiet, sat at 90ļC while testing the ABC, seems strong, sounds good, no smoke from the tailpipe, ABC at 90%, transmission cooler lines leaks stopped(or for now), AC works, only two warns on the dash(pre safe/ washer fluid), transmission seems to survived the ordeal, no coolant leaks, the car drove around my condo parking lot under it's own power without any issues so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

So the bad an oil leak only when running and is pretty heavy. I do believe it is the plate with the allen bolt that is on the timing cover at the oil filter housing. It was finger tight last night and I just tightened it and did not put any sealant around the head, or washer(not sure if it takes on or not). I will use my inspection camera and make sure it is coming form there tomorrow or the next.

So overall this was completely a pain in the butt job. The engine build up was the lesser evil. On a scale of 1-10 with one being nice and 10 being horrid this ranks a big old 15 on the scale.

Am I happy with the outcome so far YES, would I do it again NO.

So with all the above said I still have things to complete. The oil leak solved/fixed, exhaust flange bolt needs to be installed, check all the fluid levels, a couple of heat shields need installation, Rodeo, check over bolts, couple wires zip tied, test drive then the lower engine covers installed then hopefully enjoy an S55.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1306.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1953633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2767.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1953641   Click image for larger version

Name:	These.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1953649  

Last edited by SChalmers; 08-16-2016 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Forgot something
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Thumbs up :D

Wow Scott, this is very welcome news!! Could never have thought about the relay. Great job on the debugging!
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Wow Scott, this is very welcome news!! Could never have thought about the relay. Great job on the debugging!
So happy to see a big red warning VEHICLE TOO LOW ABC VISIT WORKSHOP on my centre cluster.
I will not be so happy if it comes back now LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in