Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

outdated 04-06 S-class Nav DVD ??

20K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Dave2302 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
Thanks, Ex-Fed; the link shows a v.13, with a date of '14. As you point out, the v.12 disc itself does NOT show the '04-'06 S-Class, but the box does.

My dealer says they received NO letters telling them to turn their unsold stock of v.10 discs, or that a newer version is available - and this may be because of an error in the manufacturer's system.

Last week, they said the new disc status was "TBD" - "To Be determined."

I have queried Navigation.com for a response and will update as soon as I hear. But thanks - LOTS better than spending $2K on a new head unit just to update the nav.

#3 · (Edited)
THERE IS A 2014 NAV MAP UPDATE DVD FOR THE '04-'06 W220

New Information (confirming the there IS a 2014 nav DVD update for the '04-'06 W220 and and possibly the MY04-’06 CL Class and MY05-’08 SLK and SL Classes). All of those models have the NTG1 (COMAND 2.0), and should be able to use the DVD described below.

I just purchased the 2014 update that Ex-Fed references above. While neither the disc nor the box referenced the '04-'06 W220, I bought it because it referenced ALL the other models that had used the earlier discs for the W220. While the labels added models of the Maybach, it omitted the '04-'06 S-Class. I inserted the disc, and it went through the usual brief update sequence, then became available. All features work in my car. Photos of the disc and the box are below.

Some confusion factors you may need to work through with your dealer and the NavTeq (Navigation.com, aka HERE) website:

1. If you enter navigation.com with data related to the '04-'06 W220, you will be taken to a page showing the latest update as being 2011 update v.10. THIS IS INACCURATE.

2. If you enter the navigation.com site with data indicating any of the other models - such as the applicable years of the E, SLK, CLS or Maybach, you will be taken to a listing for the 2014 NTG1 DVD v.13.0 DVD. THIS IS ALSO THE DISC FOR THE '04-'06 W220 although the label on the disc and on the box do not say so. NavTeq lists it for $249.

3. I contacted Navteq (navigation.com) approximately by email to query the discrepancy; after 30 hours at the time of this post they have not responded.

4. The part numbers for the 2014 nav DVD for North America, including the U.S., Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands is Version 2014 BQ 6 46 0315, A211 827 49 65. Navigation .com describes it as "2014 Mercedes-Benz NTG1 DVD v.13.0" (but Not on the W220 page). Note: the COMAND system for the '04-'06 W220 IS NTG1. In another departure for NavTeq, they DO show the MB part number for the DVD (in the past they have not).

5. My dealership queried NavTeq directly again this morning, and fed them the information above. NavTeq professed no knowledge (but it was the warehouse she was talking to). I asked her to bring out a disc for the '05 E-Class; it was of course the disc pictured below. Essentially, NavTeq mis-designated the 2014 disc, and as a result its website, the disc label, and the box description are incorrect, as was their failure to notify dealerships of an update for the W220.

6. If you have not updated your nav maps in a while, see post #12 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1360778-re-command-aps-upgrade-mode-2.html - I had no problem going from the 2011 v.10 to the 2014 v.13, but can't speak for earlier discs.

NOTE: One of our members reports that he was able to upgrade from a 2005.1 nav DVD (MB part # BQ 6 46 0206) directly to the 2008/2009 v.8 DVD (P/N BQ 6 46 0243); and then direct to the 2010-2011 v.10 DVD (P/N BQ 6 46 0262); and from that, to the v.13.0 DVD discussed here (P/N BQ 6 46 0315). No interim update was required using this upgrade sequence (a good thing, because even though he ordered the v.13.0 DVD from his dealer - and received the v.10 disc, and had to argue with them to get the v.13.0 disc - they were going to charge him an hour's labor for the interim updates, which is something most dealers will do free if you order the disc from them).

Here are the pics of what I bought, in case you run into someone at a dealership who is incredulous (because they are stuck with a bunch of outdated 2011 discs that NavTeq/HERE Maps failed to notify them to return for credit).

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
There is a 2015 disc, version 14

Navigation.com or whatever they call themselves these days now shows a 2015 nav DVD for the E-Class and others - Version 14. Of course, they still do not list it for the S-Class or CL Class, still showing the outdated Version 10

The NTG 1 head units between the E-Class and the S-Class and CL Class are the same, and there is no reason why version 14 won't work, just as was the case for version 13. However, I no longer have my W220, so I cannot check whether it works.

UPDATE @ May 14, 2015 -

NOTE: QUADROBENZ CONFIRMS THAT V.14.0 for the NTG-1 system works in the '04 to '06 W220 and the '05 to '08 R230 - http://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...v-map-disc-update-04-06-w220.html#post6432717

NavTeq/Navigation.com/HERE now sends one to the Mercedes website at http://mb.navigation.com/home/en_US/MBNA/USD for map updates. The Mercedes site shows a "2015 Mercedes-Benz NTG1 DVD V14.0 Part number T1000-22758," for the E-class and others as discussed in post 1 above, and once again leaves out the W220 S-Class and CL-Class, listing the "current" version as V10.0.

I suspect that Mercedes has simply passed through the inaccurate information from Navigation.com, and that because it is for NTG 1 COMANDs the v14.0 disc will work in the '04-'06 S-Class. However, I no longer have my W220, so I cannot test it.

As I wrote above (and others have verified) the V13.0 DVD for the E-Class also works for the S-Class and CL-Class. Likely, the newer V14.0 disc will as well. If anyone wants to venture the purchase price and try version 14, please update us here.

BTW, Navigation.com has removed the Mercedes logo from at least some pages on its site (see http://allthingsnav.navigation.com/article/update-your-navigation-system-map-and-save); I speculate that may have something to do with Mercedes partnering with Garmin for future map updates.

I tried repeatedly to get Navigation.com to update and correct the errors, and while they acknowledged with a form reply saying nothing, they have done nothing further, leading me to believe this is deliberate. In one phone conversation, the representative said "We are awaiting a decision on the S-Class update." He would not say who would be making that decision. I am done dealing with those idiots.

#9 · (Edited)
I went direct from 2005 to 2010 flawlessly, thence from 2010 to 2014. All performed without the need of added disks. One of the more senior and certainly more knowledgeable members here, I think it was Bullethead_D stated that at some point MB started putting nav firmware updates on each release. Just to preclude having to have a separate nav firmware update disk and associated procedures. I have no firm evidence to prove this but empirical evidence would suggest Bullethead is correct.

#10 · (Edited)
MB has always put nav system updates on the DVDs. The question is, have they always included all of the update info? At least early on they were incremental updates that would search for installed code to be updated - and if the code was not present from a prior incremental update, the new update would fail and the disc would not read. Item 6 in post 3 above contains a link to a thread that plainly indicates the limitations of the incremental updates. It is possible, with the success folks are having lately updating after large gaps, that MB is putting the full set of nav update firmware on each newer release, instead of the incremental updates used a few years ago. We can hope.

Now, if they would just get their stuff straight on the 2015 (V.14.0) release. Their site seems to be passing through the same error Navigation.com made with the V.13.0 2014 release. MB has not responded to my email query on the point.

Update May 24: QUADROBENZ CONFIRMS THAT V.14.0 for the NTG-1 system works in the '04 to '06 W220 and the '05 to '08 R230. http://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/546224-confirming-2014-nav-map-disc-update-04-06-w220.html

#11 ·
I see mentioned the W220 04-06 nav updates... Is there an update for the W220, 2002 model? Or same for all w220 models? Im in need of the update myself! Thanks all!!!
S. POC

#14 ·
Just want to share some info about 2015 update on W220. I have 04 W220 and read here that 2015 confirmed to work. I tried on mine many times but always would get a message "Wrong disk version". It shows progress bar and after pops this message. I was using 2014 disk before. But today I finally got 100% working by flashing COMAND unit using 220589052200 CD. It updated COMAND software from 47/03 to 25/06. Now it works without any problem. Hope will help somebody.

#16 · (Edited)
Thank you, maxbg, this is invaluable information. It is also worth noting the discussion at post 12, http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1360778-re-command-aps-upgrade-mode-2.html - apparently your 220 589 05 22 00 disc is a COMAND firmware update. If so, Service Disc W211 589 14 22 00 would also work.

Just to be sure, because of the single digit difference in numbers - was your 220 589 05 22 00 update disc inserted into the COMAND unit, or into the nav reader in the trunk? If inserted into the COMAND unit, it would have been a COMAND update; and if inserted into the nav reader, it would have been an interim nav update.

#15 ·
Great news Maxbg! On the same note of the Dz Navigation updates for the W229, Im interested in getting them to update my system. If anyone is wanting to sell or part w the update, anythibng from 2002 on, I am interested!
Sorry sorry for the question if really unsmart:).. but if the discs are downloaded to the system, do you still need the discs, hard copies, or can downlooad and pass along to someone else to use? Thanks!
Scot POC

#17 · (Edited)
Scot, your typing is as bad as mine. There is no such thing as a W229; so we don't know if you mean W220, W209, or W219 - all have very different navigation systems. Also, there is no Dz disc. I believe you mean DX discs.

So, assuming you are referring to the W220 that you own, which has a nav system that can use DX disks, here's what I believe is the answer.

The COMAND (and nav) firmware update discs are downloaded into COMAND itself. They need not remain in place, and they could be passed on. BTW, the firmware update discs are ordinarily not available through the parts catalog; they are carried in the Tool catalog, and usually must be ordered through the service department, not the parts desk.

The map discs, however, are read by the system every time they are used. They are not downloaded to a hard drive or flash storage in your vintage car. The disc for the area you are driving in must remain in the reader, and this is true for both CD-based systems ('00-'03) and DVD-based systems ('04-'06). Download of map data to a hard drive for the S-Class began with the '07 W221.

#19 ·
Thanks for all the updates!!
And YES...... Warren, my typing is the good ole peck by finger method..... but what made it MUCH better than usual in my last note, was without my glasses! Apologies on the mix up, but the guess was correct. Its for a W220....... :)

#21 · (Edited)
Great thread, everyone, lots of good information here.

However, either I'm just daft or POCs question wasn't fully addressed:

Can the CD based DX systems receive or use the firmware updates that are addressed in the thread? How can we determine the part number of the unit we have, through the EPC?

I have a 2003 S430 with the CD based nav system, and I would love to apply any and all firmware updates available, if possible.

I found what I think is the part number on the COMAND upgrade/update web site after some digging:

A2208205989

Thanks,

Dan

#20 ·
maxbg, thanks again for your work. It answers a LOT of questions that have lingered for a long time.

powerofchoice, just ribbing you. I am also a hunt & peck typist, and carry a record of MANY typos that sometimes horrify me. :wink

#22 · (Edited)
Dan, the title of this thread specifying '04-'06 models and extensive discussion of DVD map discs makes it clear that it does not apply to CD-based systems from '00-'03. The COMAND 2.5 and 2.0 systems in MY '00-'03 are entirely different from the COMAND NTG (Next Telematics Generation) systems in '04 and later models; the COMAND firmware is also different. For what we have on the latest for the CD-based systems, see post 25 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audio-telematics-forum/1333871-comand-questions-3.html and also the link given to POC concerning DX CDs (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class/2359209-navigation-disc-identification-frustration.html). If the disc for which you provided the part number allows use of DX discs in a CD-based COMAND 2.5 or 2.0 system, we'll be happy to update the thread in that link. Please note that according to the information in those links, if your system starts up with a screen having an MB star and a DX logo, it should already accept DX discs.

The COMAND designations can be confusing. In MY '00-03, the 2.5, 2.0 and COMAND 2 MOPF refer to the physical height of the units, in DIN (German Industrial Standard) measurement. Their navigation systems are CD-based and are integrated into the head units. The designations COMAND NTG 1, 2, 3 and above are used for COMAND units having separate, DVD-based trunk-mounted nav readers. The CD based systems do not use "NTG" in their descriptions; the DVD-based systems do. See http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+++All+about+the+different+Mercedes+COMAND+systems-article-54.html

Let's keep this thread limited to the DVD-based systems, and continue discussion of CD-based systems in the linked threads..

#28 ·
Hi,

This is such an old thread, I doubt you'll get a reply, a new thread would be much better ;)
Most of these guys haven't been on here for a long time :wink

IIRC yes, the update is simply put the disc in the Navi Unit, not CD Player, and it should Auto Update, I'd not advise switching off the Engine until it is finished and I've no idea how long it takes, never done one.

HTH,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.