Pre-owned W220 Buying Information - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 04:09 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky scientist View Post
Thank you so much for this information! I just won the bid on a 2000 S500 AMG from my husband's credit union---its my "dream car' and I have waited patiently for the right and affordable opportunity to buy. However its an "iffy" buying situation with 107,000 miles and no history on the car---its a repo and the price is right at 18K. It looks pristine, absolutely clean but we are playing it safe and having a mercedes mechanic check it out first before we sign. I'm grateful for your posting mcbear so I know what to ask him to check now and what to look out for in the future. Is there anything in particular about the AMG package that I should be wary of? The guy at the credit union said it says "AMG" but he didn't think it "performed" like an AMG, How should an AMG perform, what should I be expecting? I am an older "new" Mom who plans to drive it 120 miles a day 3 days a week in to Houston for work and am looking for a safe, reliable vehicle with a lot of comfort and mercedes style----I have been a student half my life and have always driven cheap used asian cars that I could afford on a student budget!! We have not test driven the car yet---the credit union has crazy insurance stipulations, we can drive in the car with one of their guys and the mechanic can come along... Any furthur advice you can give would be most helpful. Thank you much! P.S. It does not come with an owner's manual, where is the best place to pick up one affordably if we sign the deal?
Wow, I would stay clear of that car. I would never buy a first model year W220 with over 100k miles, no service history and top it all off.... IT'S A REPO! How well do you think the car was maintained if the owner couldn't even afford car payments? Chances are it wasn't maintained at all. Don't buy repos, unless they have an extensive service history and clear CARFAX/Indy inspection. Do not buy cars unless you can test drive them, you know what to look for during the test drive, and have a pro inspect them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: '09_CL63, '02_S500 previously '92_300SEL
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
Sure, you love it, until it has to go in the shop every week and starts costing big bucks! Then you jump back into trusty timeless 420SEL and keep on going. I've driven many W220 (pre/post face lift) and I still have say that I like the W126's the best. W140 was close. The W221 I drove was impressive, but not timeless and not as reliable as the W126.
w220 is a modern classic as somebody said before.
outside airmatic it is not bad and it doesn't break that much.
and when it starts breaking it will be time to change to w221.
you got to move on with the technology.
regards
post #23 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
The W220 is not a modern classic. It's far too much Daimler-Chrysler.
ch.1953 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: S500/W220/2000
mr.x: I have to disagree: It IS a modern classic by every definition I can think of--IMO.

Sky: I think it may be time for another Skylaw Sticky--this time in the W220 forum. You have succinctly condensed most of what I have read and posted in a couple hundred threads over at least a couple years, and I believe it would be very useful to others--especially newbies--who have neither the time nor the inclination to DIG through so much stuff. It is a daunting task under the best of circumstances, and as I believe I've heard bear say before, a bit like trying to drink from a fire hose. Perhaps you could provide us w/ a nice little garden hose? Just a thought...

Don't believe everything you think
post #25 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 04:13 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2013 S550
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Thank you, Jayhawk. I think you can see a reflection of your own work and observations above. Having owned a '00, I agree with your point of view on the earlier models. But for the opportunity to get the 4-Matic (not available in the W220 until '03) I would still be driving my '00.

Warren

2013 S550

Formerly:
2010 S550
2005 S500 4-Matic
2000 S500
1978 450SL

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-29-2007 at 04:16 AM.
post #26 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylaw View Post
Thank you, Jayhawk. I think you can see a reflection of your own work and observations above. Having owned a '00, I agree with your point of view on the earlier models. But for the opportunity to get the 4-Matic (not available in the W220 until '03) I would still be driving my '00.
Agreed, the 4-matic would be a nice option on my '00. I still really like my old bucket-of-bolts though and decided to get ultra-performance Eagle F1, 18" summer tires on AMG wheels--both staggered, and put Michelin X-Ice tires on my seven spoke OEM wheels for winter. Not exactly the same as 4-matic, but the ride, handling and performance are incredible. It also saved me almost $100k less than the price of a new S-class!

post #27 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 07:08 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2007
Vehicle: 2003 S500 4MATIC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
SKYLAW:

Perfect. That is what I was looking for. I have the VMI on the car, all recalls are closed. Minimal work done, everything "normal" for 77K with two window lifts being the only flag I see. The car was driven back and forth from the farm in Kentucky to the house in Boca so it was serviced at one of the to owned dealers at every event.

I have a small shop that does restoration and performance on 500Es and 126 models so I have access to a MB Master Tech when necessary. He retired in 98 which is why he is not familiar with this model.

This weekend they threw the keys to the car to me to drive and decide [since I had said I would not be moving above 1995 era cars] and I had a chance to switch between a 560SEC AMG, 90 560SEL with 125000 and new suspension and the W220 and I found the 220 to stack up VERY well with the 560SEL. They are different in many ways but you can feel the heritage. I would still be in my 126 but building it back up to where I would be happy with it is just not cost effective, even at shop cost. While the 126 is a VERY good car, they do get old and things do fail.

As for extended warranty, it looks like about $2K for 20K miles. After pricing out parts for the majors that have a likelihood of failure in 20K at wholesale costs, it seems like a likely wash IF there is a failure. I am going to look into 3rd Party tomorrow but so far have not looked at that route. It depends on the subsystems covered.

Thanks again for the excellent writeup. Gives me plenty to digest as I make a decision before tomorrow evening.

I picked up my 2003 S500 4MATIC with 42k miles for about $30k. It was a low mileage lease in Conneticut and was just out of warranty. I shopped around and ended up with a 4 year/100k warranty with warranty direct for about $4,000. Given about 60,000 miles left on the warranty, the piece of mind it bought was worth it to me. I did some research on the web and it seemed to be a very solid warranty provider.
post #28 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Sky: I think it may be time for another Skylaw Sticky--this time in the W220 forum. You have succinctly condensed most of what I have read and posted in a couple hundred threads over at least a couple years, and I believe it would be very useful to others--especially newbies--who have neither the time nor the inclination to DIG through so much stuff. It is a daunting task under the best of circumstances, and as I believe I've heard bear say before, a bit like trying to drink from a fire hose. Perhaps you could provide us w/ a nice little garden hose? Just a thought...
I agree also. That doc was as succinct as could be and should be a sticky. It reminded me that I need to build one for the 124 forum as well.

Also, there is no photo sticky here. Is everyone just shy and reclusive?

FYI, took the new car on a 200 mile road trip yesterday with most of it Interstate [cruise set on 80] to pick up parts for the 560SEC and got 25.3 average for the trip.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.

Last edited by mcbear; 11-29-2007 at 08:29 PM.
post #29 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbear View Post
I agree also. That doc was as succinct as could be and should be a sticky. It reminded me that I need to build one for the 124 forum as well.

Also, there is no photo sticky here. Is everyone just shy and reclusive?

FYI, took the new car on a 200 mile road trip yesterday with most of it Interstate [cruise set on 80] to pick up parts for the 560SEC and got 25.3 average for the trip.
There are photo threads around--I just posted to one--but no Stickies for some reason. 25.3 is excellent. That is the best I have ever achieved. I'd guess my average long trip mileage is around 23.5-24.5.

post #30 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: E500Es
(Thread Starter)
Guys,

Until we can build a proper W220 Buyers Guide I am just going to put this one up as a Sticky in the mean time.

And by proper I mean cut and pasting the excellent writeup Skylaw did earlier in this thread along with some of the links that he referenced. Once it is a concise document we can use it only and let this one roll off.

Thanks again for everyone's help in the purchase of my shinny silver S500. Pics will follow as soon as the rain subsides.

McBear,
Kentucky

Being smart is knowing the difference, in a sticky situation between a well delivered anecdote and a well delivered antidote - bear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in