post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 2004 S500 4Matic
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Android auto 2017+

According to an Android site, the 2017 and later E-class has android auto. Can anyone confirm that? I've not found much information about it. I'm mostly interested with any ability to use Pandora on the E-class.

2004 S500 4Matic w/Distronic & Parktronic - Traded in
2001 C240 Manual w/Multi-contour - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:39 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2019
Vehicle: '19 E63S
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
According to an Android site, the 2017 and later E-class has android auto. Can anyone confirm that? I've not found much information about it. I'm mostly interested with any ability to use Pandora on the E-class.
Yes, the W213 supports Android Auto. You need to use a USB cable (no wireless) but that's true for all Android Auto.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Where can you leave your phone while connected? Cupholder? Storage box? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:23 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
Where can you leave your phone while connected? Cupholder? Storage box? Thanks.
There's a compartment in the console with cupholders, a removable ashtray, a wireless phone charger and a USB socket. That's where you connect the phone. There's also a hinged cover for the compartment, so you can leave the phone in the car, covered, if you want for a short stop. This is the configuration in my 2019. The earliest models didn't have the wireless charger but did have the USB socket. The wireless charger also has an NFC chip so you can pair the phone without Bluetooth if you want to for some reason but Android Auto needs USB. To make room for the wireless charger pad, the 12V power socket has been relocated to the passenger's knee space. This and the ashtray being removable to make another cup holder is also to discourage smoking in the car.

The Android Auto integration works well. Plug the cable into the phone and it starts automatically and takes over the screen. A short tap up on the Voice button on the steering wheel activates the car's voice command. A longer tap and you're talking to the phone. Pressing any of the several Home buttons in the car moves the screen from Android Auto back to the Mercedes infotainment interface. Long press on Voice or using a screen icon toggles back to Android Auto.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate that reply. If you have an app like Pandora, can you use it with this system or iheart radio or Spotify? Can you change songs with Mercedes controls?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:05 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Quote:
I appreciate that reply. If you have an app like Pandora, can you use it with this system or iheart radio or Spotify? Can you change songs with Mercedes controls?
You can use any media app, but the only controls that work are the Android Auto ones, which are limited. An Android Auto upgrade, due soon, improves this.

The car has integrated TuneIn, which works with a separate $10/month AT&T dataplan (at least in '19 but I think it was Verizon in '17/'18). Also, the Sirius integration allows you to use Mercedes controls to skip around and replay songs, which is sort of cool. But that uses a new capability of Sirius/XM.

Of course the car's controls work pretty well with your own media library, either on your phone, a USB card (there are a total of three USB sockets) or SD card. Voice search of your media library also works pretty well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W213 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in