post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: SL65, SL600 RENNtech, 300D, LP640 & Panteras
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1985 300D Sunroof Issue

Have not been here for a while, probably because the 300D is so reliable so nothing to post. But recently my sunroof stopped working. So I went into the drivers side trunk and took a 16mm to the bolt shown in the photo to gently try and manually work it. It seems it turns pretty easily to open and close it with the socket. Then I also found that when I have it open manually, when I go to work the switch in the car the roof closes fine. But at any position with the roof open when I try to open it further with the switch it will not move. Maybe a bad portion on switch that operates the opening function, or I burned something out by trying to work the roof with the switch? Also I don't hear anything when trying to open it with the switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4040.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2500462  

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jan T; 03-31-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: SL65, SL600 RENNtech, 300D, LP640 & Panteras
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I in the trunk I unhooked the wire connector that plugs into the roof motor and hooked up my volt meter to that connection and tried the dash switch and got 11+ volts when operating the switch to open and close. So I know there is power going from the dash switch in the open and close position along the lines to the sunroof motor so to me that seems to mean the dash switch is good. Then I did several things before hooking the trunk plug wire back to the sunroof motor, such as moving around all the fuses in the engine bay as kind of a maintenance thing, and I also giggled the sunroof switch wires around some and also manually opened the roof again just like I had before. However just by chance I thought I would try the roof again with the switch and it opened and closed the roof fine. I did it a few times to be sure and it now opens and closes fine. So in conclusion I am not sure what fixed it, but I guess I determined the switch was good. Maybe it just needed to be worked some once I was able to get it moving with the switch. Not sure of the cure, time will tell if it acts up again.

Photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W213 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in