post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Vehicle: 2010 E350 Mars Red/Almond Beige, 2017 E300 Selenite Grey/Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W213 forum, why no interest?

I realize that BenzWorld is not the most active Mercedes forum. However, I cannot understand that there have not been any posts on the W213 forum in over two months.

The E300 is a relatively new model, first sold in the USA in July 2016, and I am sure that there must be some forum members who have questions or comments.

Since I am posting this question, I feel that I have a responsibility to post something.

I own a 2010 C207 (E350 Coupe). I traded a 2008 Lexus LS460 for my E300 in July 2016. My wife mostly drives the E300 and is very happy with it. However, she see a car as transportation and would probably be happy with a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord.

On the other hand, I have been a car enthusiast since I was a child. The E300 is the 49th car I have owned and is the 7th Mercedes.

Coming from the almost S-class level Lexus I was initially unhappy with the E300. However, being a retired senior well into my 70's, I could not bring myself to spend the money for a new S-class and could not find a certified pre-owned S-class that was acceptable to me. I had been very happy with the E320 that we had for 7 years before purchasing the Lexus and decided to go with the E300.

After 15 months of ownership, I am not unhappy with the E300, but I am not thrilled with it either. It is just OK. I am satisfied with the performance of the turbo four cylinder engine - it is more than adequate for the driving we do. However, while it is quiet inside the car, outside the engine sounds like a diesel with all the rattling coming form the engine.

The E300 does not seem to be as refined as my E350 coupe. The six cylinder in the E350 is smoother than the turbo four.

I do love the large nav screen and the ability to use the touch pads on the steering wheel to make changes. The sound system is above average.

I do have a complaint for M-B. On my E350 coupe, on the left side of the steering column, the top lever operates the cruise control and the lower lever is the turn signal, wiper/washer stalk. On the E300, the levers are just the opposite - the top one operates the turn signal, wiper/washer and the lower one is operates the cruise control.

Because I own two Mercedes with similar but opposite controls, this is not only confusing, it is DANGEROUS! I cannot tell you how many times I set the cruise control while thinking I was applying the turn signal or vice-versa.

Anyway, this is my post - the first in over two months on the W213 forum.
Diesel Benz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:39 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2017 Mercedes E300
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am a senior as well (71). My wife and I have been driving Mercedes for the last 20 years. We have always liked Mercedes . . . but the 2017 E300 is a piece of junk. Our E300 has been in the shop at least 20 days. Once it would not turn off. Today it would not recognize the key. It was out of service for 14 days because of suspension problems. I just got the 4th recall. THE CAR IS JUNK.

I called Mercedes a few minutes ago and they assigned a senior level case manager to me. I am sick of the car.

The controls are horrible. The control panel is almost impossible to figure out. The car locks and unlocks on its own. I could go on and on . . . .

Maybe that's why nobody is on this forum. The car is worthless.

2017 Mercedes E300
2016 Porsche Cayman Black Edition
2015 BMW R nineT
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:33 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 2002 E55 AMG Sedan
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Actually Benzworld is the most popular Mercedes forum.

To answer you question, its likely because of a few things. Not enough people own the car so there's not that many people posting, people might not know about the forum, or people aren't having any problems so they have no reason to post.

Also Mercedes has been using the cruise on top, signal on bottom for a long time. But they finally switched it because, people have never liked that original setup. In every other car on the road, the signal is always on top and other less important levers are always underneath it. So whenever someone would drive a Mercedes from the late 80's or newer, they would always complain about the low placement of the signal lever. This is why Mercedes finally changed the design.

I've heard other people complaining about the engine noise too, so you are not alone.
LostInTime likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 2012
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Iíve had my E400 Wagon for about 2 months. So far, Iím pretty happy with the car. I wonder if some of the problems folks are experiencing have to do with early production cars.

As a general observation, not specific to Mercedes, I agree that the 4-cyl engines sound terrible. I have to hand it to the car manufacturers that what they are squeezing out of these small engines is impressive in terms of HP, torque, and efficiency, but the exhaust note is uninspiring. The V6 is one of the main reasons I went for the MB over other wagons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 04:02 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

I've had my E400 Coupe for about 1 month now and I think its fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3084.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	2343354  
dmcgaugh likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 11:52 AM
Motivational Poster

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I think lack of forum popularity could be attributed to a combination of new model and lack of enthusiasm for the car. Hands down, I think the pre-14 model year e class is a better, cleaner design. The new model year design is bland and unexciting to me. Mercedes took a slide backwards in the design of the exterior of this car.

2005 S430 4Matic 'Morton' W220.183 ē 722.671 Rest in Peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bells and whistles are thorns and thistles.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 01:45 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
I think lack of forum popularity could be attributed to a combination of new model and lack of enthusiasm for the car. Hands down, I think the pre-14 model year e class is a better, cleaner design. The new model year design is bland and unexciting to me. Mercedes took a slide backwards in the design of the exterior of this car.
I had a 13 E350 Cab and this new model feels like it's 2 generations ahead. That's how much more this new model has. It's amazing. It makes my old one feel like an old basic car.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 08:28 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 2012
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As an S213 owner, I might be slightly biased, but trying to be neutral, I agree with both of you. The previous gen E-class looked like a Mercedes and it looked good. I think the current version coupe looks absolutely fantastic, I think the wagon/estate looks good from most angles and boring from a few. Iím not a huge fan of the sedan, but I generally prefer wagons which is why I own one. The AMG in all versions looks great (I think it may just be the hood/bonnet contour that makes the difference).

The cockpit of the 213 in all body styles is absolutely fantastic. It is wonderful. The power plant options are really great too. The 3L biturbo V6 is well tuned and sounds great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 08:27 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: 2000 E430 1990 300CE
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
I am a senior as well (71). My wife and I have been driving Mercedes for the last 20 years. We have always liked Mercedes . . . but the 2017 E300 is a piece of junk. Our E300 has been in the shop at least 20 days. Once it would not turn off. Today it would not recognize the key. It was out of service for 14 days because of suspension problems. I just got the 4th recall. THE CAR IS JUNK.

I called Mercedes a few minutes ago and they assigned a senior level case manager to me. I am sick of the car.

The controls are horrible. The control panel is almost impossible to figure out. The car locks and unlocks on its own. I could go on and on . . . .

Maybe that's why nobody is on this forum. The car is worthless.
I bought my first new Benz, a 1984 300D when I was 30 years old and have owned 6 of them. I still have a 1990 300CE and a 2000E430.
I have put over a million miles combined on the 6 cars. The 300CE is made like they used to make them, built solid and heavy like a tank with
smooth effortless power. The E430 is much lighter, with thinner leather, but still a pretty good car. Mercedes makes cars now for the 3 year lease
buyers, not for traditional long term owners who bought them for the unrivaled quality and durability. The new E300 feels like sitting in a tin can
compared to my 300CE. The seats are too low, have almost no cushion and you get MBTex for a $65,000 car. And the electronics are a nightmare
on the new Benzes.

1984 300D 225,000 miles (hit and totaled by bad driver)
1987 300E 209,000 miles (donated to worthy cause, still going)
1988 300E 240,000 miles (given to one of my sons)
1998 E320 120,000 miles (Obsidian, 17' E500 rims, sold to another son)
1990 300CE 129,000 miles (Silver/ black int) Daily Driver
2000 E430 82,000 miles ( Desert Silver 17" W211 rims)

Last edited by 247hoopsfan; 01-07-2018 at 09:49 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 05:18 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 2018 E400
Garage
We are new to Mercedes also. The E400 was selected over C class and the coupe, as seniors, we could not see getting friends and family into the rear seats of those cars. I have had a few electrical issues and not thrilled by the navigation system, I use WAZE on the iPhone.

All that said, I am also surprised at the lack of interaction on this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W213 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in