W213 forum, why no interest? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 05:02 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: W211 2005 E500 4-Matic Estate/Wagon & W212 E350 2012 4-Matic Estate/Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm interested!

We went to the Philly Auto show last weekend just to look at the new 2019 E450 Wagon. It was a deep metallic blue beauty, but locked up like Fort Knox. So we asked the MB sales Rep to unlock the car so we could have a look see inside. He had to consult the head honcho and it was like they reluctantly agreed to let us in. They had two sales reps guard the doors while my wife and I sat inside pushing buttons. No one else was allowed inside and when were done they carefully inspected the interior to see if we left anything on the seats or rugs...freaky. Then locked it up again and walked away.

Mind you this was a new car show with countless new Mercedes all around fully open for all to jump in and out of. I'm guessing that the vehicle was sold? That doesn't make any sense as I thought these were MB fleet vehicles?

Anyway I at least planted the seed for my wife to be slightly interested in a car payment on a newer E-Class wagon. It is a bit of a bummer that they only offer a V-8 in the AMG. But the Twin turbo V-6 has claimed similar power ratings. I wonder how the turbo lag is and if we would be disappointed going an E-500 to the E-450.

I think there will be more folks checking in here from time to time, like me, that are looking to upgrade. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 07:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2014
Vehicle: 2012
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have absolutely no complaints regarding turbo lag on my 2017 E400 Wagon. As far as I understand, MB just tuned another ~10% more HP and torque out of the M276 DELA 30 motor for the E450. I believe this shaved something like another 0.2 sec off the 0-60 times. There is a bit of lag while in Comfort mode, but this is likely the result of the intentionally retarded fly-by-wire accelerator pedal rather than turbo because it is completely non-existent in Sport or Sport+ mode.

I recently drove a buddy’s previous gen E550 and while his might have felt a bit faster, it wasn’t a lot and suspect the additional power of the E450 might close that gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:37 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2018
Vehicle: 2018 E400
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
You are lucky. NO MB vehicles at DC show in March.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 07:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: W211 2005 E500 4-Matic Estate/Wagon & W212 E350 2012 4-Matic Estate/Wagon
BMW was absent at the Philly car show. Hmm.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 08:09 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcgaugh View Post
As far as I understand, MB just tuned another ~10% more HP and torque out of the M276 DELA 30 motor for the E450.
Are all the V-6 petrol engines in the W213 E400 & E450 the M276 DELA 30 or were any of the M276 DELA 35 used? (3 litre vs 3.5 litre)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper Benz View Post
Are all the V-6 petrol engines in the W213 E400 & E450 the M276 DELA 30 or were any of the M276 DELA 35 used? (3 litre vs 3.5 litre)

Don’t take this as gospel since it seems like the model year that a new model is introduced differs from country to country, and perhaps even the equipment (including drivetrains?) are not in sync depending on country.

But at least in the US, MB made the switch from the normally aspirated DELA 35 to the twin-turbo DELA 30 as part of the W213 model launch in MY2017. Mine is a MY2017 with a delivery date of November 2016 and it has the DELA 30.

I find the drift away from actual displacement numbers to “as powerful as” displacement numbers annoying. BMW is doing it too. I guess all the car makers are embarrassed of the small displacement engines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 09:21 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 87 M117 R107, 07 W211 OM642
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Don’t take this as gospel since it seems like the model year that a new model is introduced differs from country to country, and perhaps even the equipment (including drivetrains?) are not in sync depending on country.

But at least in the US, MB made the switch from the normally aspirated DELA 35 to the twin-turbo DELA 30 as part of the W213 model launch in MY2017. Mine is a MY2017 with a delivery date of November 2016 and it has the DELA 30.

I find the drift away from actual displacement numbers to “as powerful as” displacement numbers annoying. BMW is doing it too. I guess all the car makers are embarrassed of the small displacement engines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
None of the W212 E400s (in the US at least) had the 3.5 liter turbo version either.I think some previous generations CLS's might have but am not sure.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:24 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubVBenz View Post
None of the W212 E400s (in the US at least) had the 3.5 liter turbo version either.I think some previous generations CLS's might have but am not sure.

This forum talks about MB using a twin turbo version of the DELA 30 and DELA 35 in some of the XXX400’s with the exact same power and torque ratings — the boost pressures seem to be up for debate, but the existence of the two different engines doesn’t. Super weird. Also looks like the TT DELA 35 never made it into the E class.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 10:25 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
This forum talks about MB using a twin turbo version of the DELA 30 and DELA 35 in some of the XXX400’s with the exact same power and torque ratings — the boost pressures seem to be up for debate, but the existence of the two different engines doesn’t. Super weird. Also looks like the TT DELA 35 never made it into the E class.

With link...
https://www.benzboost.com/content.ph...b-ft-of-torque

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 12:06 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Mercedes has some work to do on their 4 cylinders. They are noisy and coarse. Audi and VW have butter smooth 4's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W213 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in