BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: E350 Sedan 2010 Tanzanite Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking Using address book addresses for Navigation

Hello All,

I am trying to use addresses in my address book to Navigate to a destination. From the control module of my 2010 E350 4-Matic I click directly on the address of an address entry with the intent of using the nav to direct me to a destination. The error message "The address is incomplete. Please enter the missing information." appears. I have added all missing address fields such as country etc. I have even edited one address so that all fields exactly match what the nav would propose if I entered it manually. I think that this should work. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Regards to all,

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2010 E350 Luxury, P1 Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Trying to use MB's COMAND navigation. I gave up on mine. Now I just use voice control and enter address again. Sometimes I'll bring up the screen and scroll through previous addresses if I have entered it before. Addresses are there, but system does not recognize them or list them.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 07:11 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2011 E350 BlueTec P2
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the same problem with my 2011 E350. It transferred the contacts out of my iPhone and into the COMAND system, but when I attempt to navigate to the address, I get the "incomplete" error message. The address is absolutely correct.

What's odd is that if I take the exact same contact and send it to the system via mbrace, it works fine.

Seems like a bug to me. Anybody know if there is COMAND upgrade that fixes this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: E350 Sedan 2010 Tanzanite Blue
(Thread Starter)
Indeed - I am from the IT world and think that MB should fix their software. They use SAP to make the cars so they shouldn't cheap out on what I would think to be a quick fix for their otherwise great nav. We do pay a lot for these cars and if Hyundai nav can do it then... Hmmmm ... No I would never but ... )
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 E350 BlueTec P2
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mercedes - are you reading this? It's a problem. Why should an expensive navigation system not be able to recognize a valid address?

This is bad software. If you built engine control software the the way you build navigation software the cars would not run.

Please upgrade the navigation software engineers and fix this problem!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

Was under the impression that updates are avail, aperiodically, to the NAV system, but you have to go to a dealer vice over the air, or perhaps USB?

+1 on voice command. Once you figure out the nuance(s), it seems to work very good, esp while the vehicle is in motion.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2013, 12:14 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2013
Some root causes identified

After much troubleshooting, here are a few things I've been able to figure out:

1) COMAND expects the state to be spelled out. Sometimes simply changing from the 2-letter abbreviation to the full name will work. BTW, one exception is if you're already in the state of the address you're going to. It will default to that and doesn't seem to care about the abbreviation.

2) COMAND doesn't seem to like the street type spelled out. Changing from Road to Rd, for example, will sometime work.

3) Extra spaces will cause an error. Make sure there is just one space between the house number and street name, etc.

4) Make sure the address is parsed into separate fields (more on this below)

5) As you know, sometimes there are different cities for the same zip code and sometimes people use an unofficial city in our address. For example, I've see folks use Ewing, NJ instead of Trenton (the official USPS city for that zip).

6) Of course, make sure nothing is misspelled.

Editing/verifying Addresses from COMAND...
You can edit an address directly in COMAND. In the edit mode, you can also verify which information is in which fields to help identify other data issuesn (like the entire address in the street field or having a missing field).

Google/Android Issue...
If you update your address on your Android phone, you'll notice that it give you one "address" field in which to type it. I noticed that it translates this entire addres to the "street" field on COMAND and in your Gmail contacts. You must manually correct online. (BTW, I'm using a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1.2). Yes, this is definitely an Android bug.

Cleaning up data...
NOT that we should have to be stuck fixing most of this stuff, but here's what worked for me.

1) Export your Gmail contacts to a CSV file where you can see everything at a glance. Be sure to turn on Text Wrap in Excel (in alignment options) so you can see everything in each field.

2) Within Gmail contacts, search for terms like "Road" to quickly find all contacts with "Road" spelled out.

Hopefully, this helps someone. When you talk to MB service reps, they just give you the default answer that "you must enter the address exactly like the Nav system has it." OK, but spelling out state?!? C'mon.

I'm also wondering if this is an issue for Navteq and might affect Navs in other car manufacturers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W212 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in