post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2018
Vehicle: 99 E430, 08 E63 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fuel economy drops by 40%, CEL on

Sudden loss of fuel economy and CEL on. Hooked up the OBDII reader to discover code 0171 (bank 2). Bank running lean.
Researched to discover PROBABLE MAF sensor failure. Replacement part is available for about $200.
I didn't know how a MAF sensor worked, so began searches. During to search I discovered a post where it was explained that the sensor CAN get dirty, and it was suggested that a thorough cleaning would be the first step.
With a screwdriver, I gingerly removed the upper and lower clips that held the sensor in the airbox. I carefully withdrew the sensor then gave it a good spraying with MAF cleaner, then re-installed it. I cleared the DTC through my OBDII reader. I was concerned that there might be a little cleaner remaining inside the sensor, and considering there is a wire that heats up contained within the sensor, I gave it overnight to dry out, the cleaner being flammable.
Took the car for a 20 mile run. Fuel economy back up to >20 mpg.
Happy camper here.
Now I do understand that this might not be a long term fix, that the problem could return. If that happens I'll replace the sensor at that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 12:34 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
I had that same exact code on my former project S500 and a precipitous drop in fuel efficiency. Just like what you describe. Turned out to be a crankcase ventilation hose that had popped off. Oops.

I put that hose back on, and bye-bye, CEL. Now I need to reset the engine's adaptive computer to help speed up the relearning so it gets good fuel mileage again. 'Tis good to have SDS. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W211 E55 AMG, E63 AMG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in