post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2010
Vehicle: 2005 W211 E55 AMG
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sunroof Issues IR sensor issues

OK I will start this a little prior to the sunroof becoming the issue just in case what happened before is directly related to fixing the problem. My car is a 2005 E55 AMG, I was/still am having problems with the drivers door IR sensor it didn't work. At this point I did not know what I know now that to remove door lock tumbler and access IR sensor I do/did not need to remove door panel.

When I removed the door panel my butterfingers took over and I dropped the panel far enough to rip the one of the wire ribbons connected to the door control unit completely out of its connector. The ribbon in question was for the door courtesy lighting. Pissed but determined I continued to attempt access to IR sensor. After realizing I couldn't get to it that way I put everything back together LEAVING the broken connector plugged in door control unit.

After locating the correct way to access the IR sensor and trying to clean its connections I reinstalled tumbler, made sure everything was where it should be minus broken ribbon and began messing with my remote to try and get windows and sunroof to open and close. The windows and sunroof were fully opening and closing less than 50% of the time. Giving up on getting the IR sensor to function 100% they way it should I closed up everything locked and armed the alarm and went to bed. Car remained untouched for 2 days. When I tried to start it after 2 days I found the battery to be completely drained. While boosting the battery I realized that by leaving the broken connector in I created a short which in turn drained the battery. Removed door panel while battery was being jumped and removed connector.

At this point all windows and sunroof are completely closed. Once battery was charged enough to start car I took it for a nice easy drive to continue charging battery. Upon getting message on dash stating that all conveince functions had been restored I took car to garage to park it away.

After shutting car off and pulling out key I received message stating that the is Sunroof Open, my sunroof is closed. I turned on car and attempted to open sunroof, nothing no open no movement upwards for vent nothing.
I researched the issue and found out that sometimes after the battery has been drained the sunroof needs to be reset. The procedure I found said to push switch directly up and hold for 5 seconds, then push to rear and hold for 5 then pull down and hold 5 then push towards front and hold 5. Ive tried this method with the key in every position. My sunroof is now in full break my balls mode pushing the switch forward opens the roof upwards to vent. pulling switch down closes sunroof down briefly then it goes back up. pulling switch backwards will close sunroof. I cant get it to function correctly. Ive tried using the crank to manually open and close the roof. If its open I can get it to close using by pushing switch forward but that's it, once closed it goes back into haywire mode. Every time I remove key I get message Sunroof Open. I don't hear any unusual sounds from motor when it is functioning and I don't wanna take it to the dealer to hear "oh you need a new motor its gonna cost you and arm and a leg now drop your pants so we all can pound you good".

Im lost and need direction. Also note I haven't replaced the broken wire harness for the courtesy lighting yet but could this really be keeping the cpu from correctly resetting the sunroof?

Side note: Does anyone know where I can get a replacement IR Sensor without having to buy the complete door lock tumbler from the dealer? They say they don't sell the Sensor separate but ive handled the tumbler and know the sensor can be removed without damaging tumbler or sensor.

Need help
Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W211 E55 AMG, E63 AMG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in