post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
07 E63 - Owner Feedback on Maintenance/Reliability

Hi guys

I have been a loyal BMW owner for many years and am in the market for a new car. I'm trying to decide between a second hand M5 or E63...leaning more towards the E63 (have always wanted an AMG since I was a kid!).

I obviously have experience with maintenance cost/requirements for German cars with my past BMW's, but never worried too much because of BMW's no cost maintenance plans. Given the high performance engines/parts etc. of these M/AMG cars I'd like to get feedback from current owners on what the maintenance requirements are for their E63, approximate costs, reliability, is it a daily driver, etc...

I'm looking at getting a 2007 E63 with 30K - 40K miles on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:59 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2009 E63
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakram View Post
Hi guys

I have been a loyal BMW owner for many years and am in the market for a new car. I'm trying to decide between a second hand M5 or E63...leaning more towards the E63 (have always wanted an AMG since I was a kid!).

I obviously have experience with maintenance cost/requirements for German cars with my past BMW's, but never worried too much because of BMW's no cost maintenance plans. Given the high performance engines/parts etc. of these M/AMG cars I'd like to get feedback from current owners on what the maintenance requirements are for their E63, approximate costs, reliability, is it a daily driver, etc...

I'm looking at getting a 2007 E63 with 30K - 40K miles on it.
AMGs depreciate pretty fast and so the used prices always look good. But they were expensive to maintain when new and are still expensive to maintain, that hasn't changed. If you're really concerned about the expense of a performance car that cost close to $100k when new, you might want to re-think.

Depending on when the car went into service it's going to be coming out of warranty soon. You should seriously consider a CPO'd car from the dealer with an extended warranty unless you feel you have enough rainy day money for repairs. But an extended warranty is worth the extra premium on a retail CPO car versus a private sale car without one.

Aside from the warranty, maintenance is not cheap. But you can DIY on many items. Also an Indy mechanic with SDS is worth a lot. If you can wrench things yourself, you can at least use a dealer or Indy with SDS for your diagnostics. These cars have a lot of sensors and electronics that can be tricky (or impossible) to diagnose without the right (and expensive) diagnostic tools.

Since the car you're looking at will have 30-40k on it, you'll be due for brakes soon. The rotors are two piece and you have to buy both the hats and the rotors. A brake job on the E63 is not cheap. That will be your biggest maintenance item expense out of your pocket. Look for one that's already had a complete (and properly done) brake job. But they have exceptionally excellent brakes, better then the M5 (brakes seem to be a weakness with the Ms; they fade pretty quickly from my experience with them.)

The other expense is tires. The car eats tires. Of course it does depend on how you drive, but the right rear (drive) tire will go fast. The car doesn't have a limited slip diff unless you find one that has the P030 performance option (a $9k option when new.) Also if you drive a lot in lowered suspension mode, it introduces more negative camber which wears the insides of the treads faster.

No reason not to daily drive these cars. They depreciate so much that by not driving them you're just throwing money out the window. They aren't collector cars. The value is only the fun and the use of driving one. You'll never get any money back. So just buy one, use it, and move on when it gets worn out (or is out of warranty.)

Shop right and you can find one that's been maintained well. Check the VMI for the service record and do a ppi even if it's CPO'd. The right car should be relatively trouble free, and an extended warranty can give you some peace of mind. Just keep a few grand in the bank for maintenance including tires.
dustinN likes this.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2010
(Thread Starter)
This is great...thanks for the information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 10:41 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2011
Hi Sakram,

I was curious, did you end up getting an E63? I am considering getting one but in the same boat about trying to get a 07 E63 AMG with somewhere around 30-40k miles... great deals out there... but it sounds like if you don't get the CPO warranty you are risking a lot. what has your experience been?

thx,

-josh
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:40 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2009
Vehicle: 2007 e63. Iridium Silver.
I'm a former BMW guy - had several of them before jumping over to the e63 last fall. I loved all my BMW's, but have been ever more thrilled with the MB product than I could have imagined. Like you, I was debating pre-owned M5's vs. e63 (and a few others).

Like all German cars, I would look hard for a CPO car (or get a warranty) - they can be expensive to repair if something goes awry. However, as far as reliability, for the most part, I think they are on part with most other high end performance cars. And - the hand built engines in the AMG cars are damn near bullet proof.

Its not quite as nimble as my last BMW (550i 6speed sport), but its far more smooth, luxurious....and damn, it sure is fast.

You wont regret it, I'll tell you that much.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
I was just in the same boat! I wanted a M5 or a E63, but once I drove the 63? there was no looking back! What a nice car! Good luck on your find.

~Rookie
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 03:58 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2007 E63 AMG
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.2AMG View Post
AMGs depreciate pretty fast and so the used prices always look good. But they were expensive to maintain when new and are still expensive to maintain, that hasn't changed. If you're really concerned about the expense of a performance car that cost close to $100k when new, you might want to re-think.

Depending on when the car went into service it's going to be coming out of warranty soon. You should seriously consider a CPO'd car from the dealer with an extended warranty unless you feel you have enough rainy day money for repairs. But an extended warranty is worth the extra premium on a retail CPO car versus a private sale car without one.

Aside from the warranty, maintenance is not cheap. But you can DIY on many items. Also an Indy mechanic with SDS is worth a lot. If you can wrench things yourself, you can at least use a dealer or Indy with SDS for your diagnostics. These cars have a lot of sensors and electronics that can be tricky (or impossible) to diagnose without the right (and expensive) diagnostic tools.

Since the car you're looking at will have 30-40k on it, you'll be due for brakes soon. The rotors are two piece and you have to buy both the hats and the rotors. A brake job on the E63 is not cheap. That will be your biggest maintenance item expense out of your pocket. Look for one that's already had a complete (and properly done) brake job. But they have exceptionally excellent brakes, better then the M5 (brakes seem to be a weakness with the Ms; they fade pretty quickly from my experience with them.)

The other expense is tires. The car eats tires. Of course it does depend on how you drive, but the right rear (drive) tire will go fast. The car doesn't have a limited slip diff unless you find one that has the P030 performance option (a $9k option when new.) Also if you drive a lot in lowered suspension mode, it introduces more negative camber which wears the insides of the treads faster.

No reason not to daily drive these cars. They depreciate so much that by not driving them you're just throwing money out the window. They aren't collector cars. The value is only the fun and the use of driving one. You'll never get any money back. So just buy one, use it, and move on when it gets worn out (or is out of warranty.)

Shop right and you can find one that's been maintained well. Check the VMI for the service record and do a ppi even if it's CPO'd. The right car should be relatively trouble free, and an extended warranty can give you some peace of mind. Just keep a few grand in the bank for maintenance including tires.
Thank you for the so informative post. I am about to get a 2007 E63 with 50K miles for around $25K from a private seller. The car look nice in the pictures but I haven't had a chance to see it in person yet. After reading your post, I am chicken out. I have own a used 2009 E350 for 3 years without any mechanic problem. I bought it when it had 32K. The maintenance was not that bad and the engine was reliable. I guess AMG is another different story. My heart says go for it but my head says no. Tough decision to make. Any other feed back from AMG owners???

Last edited by dustinN; 02-01-2015 at 02:51 PM.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 06:59 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 E320 Bluetech, 2009 E63 AMG, 2012 GL550
dustinN,

As others have said, they are amazing cars. Yes, the maintenance can be expensive and if you can get some sort of extended warranty on that car (or the seller may have one that is transferable), I would do that. As was already mentioned, the front brakes can be a $2,500 job from the dealer and the car will eat tires for breakfast, but that is no reason to chicken out if you are prepared for that. I would request a FULL set of records from the seller. If you are friendly with a dealer, have them pull a VMI report on the car and see what maintenance has been done. If brakes and tires have been done recently, which they should have been with 50K on the clock, then you probably don't need to worry about brakes for a while.

No reason to chicken out. Just know what you are getting into. These are amazing cars to drive, and some parts will be the same as your 2009 E350 (It is a W211 after all), but the brakes, suspension, tires and engine will all be more expensive parts to repair/replace. 50K is pretty good mileage for a 2007, so chances are it was well taken care of.

Good Luck!
dustinN likes this.

Silver 2005 E320 CDI
Silver 2008 E320 Bluetech
Black 2009 E63 AMG
White 2012 GL550
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 03:16 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2012
Vehicle: 2007 E63 AMG
Thank you euro_sport. The seller doesn't have have the extend warranty. Wow, front brake is a $2,500 job??? This sounds scary. I will ask for all the records from the seller as you suggested. Any Mercedes service adviser can pull the VMI report if I provide the VIN? Let see if they can do this for me, I personally don't know any one at the dealer. Thanks again.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-01-2015, 09:27 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2012
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI, 2008 E320 Bluetech, 2009 E63 AMG, 2012 GL550
Please keep in mind that the $2500 brake job was from a dealer. A good independent shop should be less on labor.

Yes, any service adviser should be able to pull a VMI report if you provide the VIN.

Always happy to help.
dustinN likes this.

Silver 2005 E320 CDI
Silver 2008 E320 Bluetech
Black 2009 E63 AMG
White 2012 GL550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W211 E55 AMG, E63 AMG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in