If you are new to M-B (E55) and L-O-V-E the brake dust on your wheels... - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
If you are new to M-B (E55) and L-O-V-E the brake dust on your wheels...

then DO NOT get the Porterfield brake pads! If you, on the other hand, hate the dust build-up, GET 'EM!!

I am a recent convert. I have put up with the wife's SLK 320 filthy wheels for 3.5 years, BUT the E55 is a whole different level of DUST. The 320 had to be hosed off every other week, whereas the 55 MUST be cleaned every other day or the front wheels "disappeared", looking like I was running a temporary spare. I put the Portefields on in Seattle and drove back to Scottsdale... what a difference! I spent 4 hours in a Friday L.A. traffic jam that went from Santa Monica to just west of Palm Springs. This ranged from stopped for 5-10 minutes to 80 mph and jumping on the brakes hard. When I got to Palm Desert the front wheels were very lightly dusted. About equal to a gentle 10 minute drive to my local Post Office. PLUS, the brakes work better than with the factory pads. Best improvement I've made so far. Thanks Jerry.
-HarleyB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 08:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2004 E55-1970 280SEC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had Poterfields on my SLK32...

But do they have them for the W211 E55s yet? Isn't the brakes system the same as the S/SL/CL 55's? I wonder if we could use the same pads?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Check Jerry's website, he'll know. www.formymercedes.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 12:14 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
Just my opinion, but I disagree. I find that the Porterfields dust at a rate of about...

Just my opinion, but I disagree.

I find that the Porterfields dust at a rate of about 1/2 to 1/3 the amount of stock, which I think is significantly high for a pad advertised as "dustless".

I've noticed that their stopping power is no different than stock.

In most cases, the make significantly more noise than stock, sometimes due to the backing pads being slightly different size. A shim will sometimes take care of this, but then it has to be custom made. My experience was that the shims that come with stock Brembo pads on the ML55 did not fit on the Porterfield pads. (They did fit on Mintex pads however.)

And Porterfields, although SOMETIMES cheaper than OEM pads, are USUALLY a lot more expensive than some of the other "low dust" brands.

Finally, on the W211, since one should not replace the brake pads without a Star Diagnosis machine handy, this can't be recommended as a "do it yourself" upgrade. I do have some information on front pads that will for the E55/SL55/CL55 but won't release it due to concerns with those who might try to "DIY" without proper consideration for the SBC system in the W211.

(My experience with Porterfields has been on: 1999 C43, 2001 CLK55, 2000 ML430, 2002 ML55, 2001 C240, 2002 C320, 1997 C280, and a few others.)

-s-

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
scorchie, I defer to your much greater...

experience with many diff. vehicles. I am only relating my recent 3400 mile trip in an `01 E55 W210. For me the Porterfields were virtually dustless. YMMV
Also, I do not have them on the SLK. -HarleyB
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 12:37 PM

Date registered: Jul 2002
Vehicle: '00 ML320 Elegance
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Obviously it depends...

Quote:
experience with many diff. vehicles. I am only relating my recent 3400 mile trip in an `01 E55 W210. For me the Porterfields were virtually dustless. YMMV
Also, I do not have them on the SLK. -HarleyB
I think that dustfree is a relative term. As Scorchie noted, the pads do dust less but they're not dust free. I don't think that any pad on the market is, afterall brake pads work by dissipating energy into heat.

Nonetheless, many ML owners have found that the Porterfields dust significantly less than the OEM pads. As for squealing, it does appear that the brake prep kit that formymercedes includes with their Porterfield pads eliminates any squeaking/squealing that may occur.

Very interesting discussion, nonetheless, especially since I have to change my pads soon as well, heh. [:)]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W211 E55 AMG, E63 AMG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in