Aftermarket amp on HK speakers? Is it possible? - Mercedes-Benz Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
CLK 430x's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2017
Vehicle: 99 E320 4Matic 98 C280 02 CLK430 09 E550
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Aftermarket amp on HK speakers? Is it possible?

Hello guys I would like to know if itís possible to replace my stock amp with the aftermarket amp. Without having to rewire everything.

My stock amp sounds weak, I would like to get more clarity out of my music. It seems like those HK speakers can push more power.









Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CLK 430x is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-22-2019, 04:07 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLK 430x View Post
Hello guys I would like to know if itís possible to replace my stock amp with the aftermarket amp. Without having to rewire everything.
My stock amp sounds weak, I would like to get more clarity out of my music. It seems like those HK speakers can push more power.
Whoa there Nellie! Don't do it. If you have the upgraded H-K system, it should definitely NOT sound weak. And the H-K system has super clarity. I'm an engineer, and one of my hats is audio/acoustic engineering and installations. This is one of the best sounding factory car sound systems ever made that they put in the W211's if you have the upgraded H-K system. Very solid thump from the sub with no "hip-hop" overtone floppyness. Beautiful highs without being harsh. Clean mids, even on problematic male voices. Don't hack it up! Figure out what is wrong. Is your subwoofer not working perhaps?

Now if you are just wanting super LOUD or you desire those bass overtone distortions (some people do), then that is something else entirely. I've never taken my calibrated SPL meter or acoustic analyzer out to my W211 H-K system to see what max SPL or what the frequency responses are, but I can tell you it is plenty loud, unless you are wanting ear bleeding loudness. It will easily push up near 100 db with the right source material. If you are wanting to hit more concert level loudness at 110 db, then no, it won't do that.

I have a 2016 GLC as well with the upgraded Burmester sound system. It's not even close to sound quality of the H-K system in my '06 E320.
ot1 and CLK 430x like this.
smyers is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 07:44 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I forgot to ask, and I mean no offense; Did you set it to Logic 7 under the sound menu? There are speech and stereo modes in there also I think. Logik 7 puts it in full fidelity mode where it sounds best Frankly, I don't know why anyone would set it to one of the other modes, but they are there.
CLK 430x likes this.
smyers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-24-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
CLK 430x's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2017
Vehicle: 99 E320 4Matic 98 C280 02 CLK430 09 E550
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyers View Post
Whoa there Nellie! Don't do it. If you have the upgraded H-K system, it should definitely NOT sound weak. And the H-K system has super clarity. I'm an engineer, and one of my hats is audio/acoustic engineering and installations. This is one of the best sounding factory car sound systems ever made that they put in the W211's if you have the upgraded H-K system. Very solid thump from the sub with no "hip-hop" overtone floppyness. Beautiful highs without being harsh. Clean mids, even on problematic male voices. Don't hack it up! Figure out what is wrong. Is your subwoofer not working perhaps?



Now if you are just wanting super LOUD or you desire those bass overtone distortions (some people do), then that is something else entirely. I've never taken my calibrated SPL meter or acoustic analyzer out to my W211 H-K system to see what max SPL or what the frequency responses are, but I can tell you it is plenty loud, unless you are wanting ear bleeding loudness. It will easily push up near 100 db with the right source material. If you are wanting to hit more concert level loudness at 110 db, then no, it won't do that.



I have a 2016 GLC as well with the upgraded Burmester sound system. It's not even close to sound quality of the H-K system in my '06 E320.


Thank you for your response

My system just feels like itís missing something maybe I should just focus on upgrading the sub first.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CLK 430x is offline  
Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
CLK 430x's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2017
Vehicle: 99 E320 4Matic 98 C280 02 CLK430 09 E550
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyers View Post
I forgot to ask, and I mean no offense; Did you set it to Logic 7 under the sound menu? There are speech and stereo modes in there also I think. Logik 7 puts it in full fidelity mode where it sounds best Frankly, I don't know why anyone would set it to one of the other modes, but they are there.

yes logic 7 is on


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CLK 430x is offline  
Old 06-25-2019, 03:45 PM
ot1
BenzWorld Veteran
 
Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 600
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLK 430x View Post
yes logic 7 is on


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What vehicle and year has the HK? If your sub is bad why not replace it with the factory unit? You can buy a used sub on ebay. The signal for the sub comes from the audio gateway AGW in the trunk, not sure if its analog or digital signal.
ot1 is offline  
Old 06-26-2019, 05:08 AM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Testing done Cheaply

What I would do first is some testing. Set the system to flat response turning treble or bass to the "centered" setting. Use your phone and install a test tone app. Get the appropriate cable and using the sine wave output of the app run frequency tests using the aux input on your system. Make sure the phone media volume is maxed and use the volume control of the car turn the system up and down. (Do NOT use anything other than sine wave.)

I would expect the sub to respond in the 35-100 Hz range, but I do not know the sub's cross over point. While testing, I'd go through all the speakers and frequencies up to maybe 10KHz. You don't have to go above 10 KHz for this test. Use the car's fade & balance control to isolate the speakers as best you can. I'd start at a very low volume to determine if signal is getting through at all to each speaker and put your ear close to the speakers. Then ramp up the test and see if anything cuts out or distorts as the volume get louder.

This poor man's test should at least give you an idea if the individual speakers and amps are working properly or not.
smyers is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
 
CLK 430x's Avatar
 
Date registered: Jun 2017
Vehicle: 99 E320 4Matic 98 C280 02 CLK430 09 E550
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for your help

but i found this thread

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-pics-txt.html

It shows how to hook up after market amp to our stock hk speaker. It also opens doors to install a Aftermarket sub woofer. Which I had planned on doing eventually





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CLK 430x is offline  
Old 07-02-2019, 01:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite
 
ps2cho's Avatar
 
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 5,413
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
I don’t see any reason to upgrade the factory sub. It shakes the rear window. Unless you’re 16 years old trying to show off, any more bass would drown the sound out.

The HK system is the best factory audio system I’ve ever heard.

Make sure the center dash speaker hasn’t separated. I had to glue my one back down as the sun destroys it over time and it will resonate.
smyers likes this.

2016 Monsoon Gray Audi Allroad - 26k
2008 Black Mercedes E350 4Matic Sport P1 - 140k
2014 Jeep Wranger Unlimited Sahara - 90k
2003 Silver ML350 - 135k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ps2cho is offline  
Old 07-05-2019, 12:27 PM
BenzWorld Member
 
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
Make sure the center dash speaker hasn’t separated. I had to glue my one back down as the sun destroys it over time and it will resonate.
Yep! I had to replace mine after about 3 years. If I recall, the glue on the surround got hard, separated and the speaker buzzed at certain frequencies. I just bit the bullet and replaced the entire speaker. So this one is over 10 years old and is still fine. I suspect they had a bad batch at the factory.
smyers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

  Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Thread Tools



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome