ot1
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bilstein B6 issue

I installed B6 struts last year, I like them a lot. No one had the B6 rears (24069069) in stock at the time, they were back ordered for many months, so I just got around to putting them on. The original Sachs (2113261700) have a 7 travel and the B6 only have a travel of 22.81 - 18.58 = ~4.25, thats 2.75 less travel, how can that be an equivelent shock? A Tech at Bilstein claims Mercedes approved it back in 2003. If thats true Bilstein changed the spec somewhere along the line.

Last edited by ot1; 06-04-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:24 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I just checked and see there is also a 24069083 for the E320 CDI at Summit Racing. I'd compare that one.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
ot1
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyers View Post
I just checked and see there is also a 24069083 for the E320 CDI at Summit Racing. I'd compare that one.
The 24-069083 has a travel of 5.3“ which is still short of the Sachs by 1.70“, almost two inches so How can either be compatible with the originals ...

Last edited by ot1; 06-19-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ot1 View Post
The 24-069083 has a travel of 5.3 which is still short of the Sachs by 1.70, almost two inches so How can either be compatible with the originals ...
That's a really good question. Sounds like the number I gave you is the one closer to the original. The original one you bought with only 4.3" of travel sounds awfully short, but maybe not. It may come down to actual used stroke.

I could go into the engineering theory with you on shocks as it's a fairly complex subject. (I'm a ME.) Let's assume Bilstein techs are correct. A higher dampening rate (stiffer) shock will use less stroke than a softer one. We know a B6 is stiffer than the original Sachs shocks. When you hit a bump, it will not compress as much total stroke. It will take the initial bang, but then gets "stiffer" at a faster rate, allowing less spring travel. So this is most likely how they are getting way with less stroke. It's really a lot more complex than this, but rather than write a lengthy diatribe, that is the basic reality.

The other thing that may be possible is that the original Sachs rears could be more of a universal shock fitting a wider range of models to reduce production costs for MB and Sachs. If you look at the original Sachs part number and check fitment, you will find it fits a fairly wide number of E class cars. If you take all those models of E class cars that the original Sachs fits and plug them into the Bilstein website, you may find that Bilstein doesn't make shocks for a number of the models that the Sachs model fits. It's a guess mind you. You'll have to check that out for yourself if you want to know.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
ot1
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyers View Post
That's a really good question. Sounds like the number I gave you is the one closer to the original. The original one you bought with only 4.3" of travel sounds awfully short, but maybe not. It may come down to actual used stroke.

I could go into the engineering theory with you on shocks as it's a fairly complex subject. (I'm a ME.) Let's assume Bilstein techs are correct. A higher dampening rate (stiffer) shock will use less stroke than a softer one. We know a B6 is stiffer than the original Sachs shocks. When you hit a bump, it will not compress as much total stroke. It will take the initial bang, but then gets "stiffer" at a faster rate, allowing less spring travel. So this is most likely how they are getting way with less stroke. It's really a lot more complex than this, but rather than write a lengthy diatribe, that is the basic reality.

The other thing that may be possible is that the original Sachs rears could be more of a universal shock fitting a wider range of models to reduce production costs for MB and Sachs. If you look at the original Sachs part number and check fitment, you will find it fits a fairly wide number of E class cars. If you take all those models of E class cars that the original Sachs fits and plug them into the Bilstein website, you may find that Bilstein doesn't make shocks for a number of the models that the Sachs model fits. It's a guess mind you. You'll have to check that out for yourself if you want to know.
Used stroke, hmmm, which would change depending on if the boot or trunk was loaded with things, or back seat passengers or frequent travel in a pot holey crappy road area. Too many variables come into play for Bilstein to shorten the stroke by 3 inches. I forgot to mention that the shock you found the part number for was also shorter than the Sachs (uncollapsed and unloaded) by 1 inch. I want a B6 with the original 7inches of travel and original length, why is that too much To ask of Bilstein. They may even already have it but the Bilstein customer service techs in USA would rather not bother looking into the issue. I would like access to their complete catalog, with all dimensions specified, so I can ascertain whether or not the proper shock exisists.
Rather miffed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in