post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 E320 CDI squeaking noise from left wheel

I have a 2006 E320 CDI that I recently pulled the head on to fix a injector hold down bolt that had sheared off. Long story short the repair took me 5 months to do on the side of the house. There was a point during the repair where the car was up on jack stands with the wheel suspended in the air for several weeks. The repair is complete and the car is running but I have a terrible squeak sound from the left front wheel. It reminds me of an old mustang. Car handles fine but me wife is not happy about the noise

Does anybody have any ideas what might be going on? Somehow I think leaving it on jack stands caused the problem but I really donít know where to start on this. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2015
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI (SOLD); 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 04:02 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer805 View Post
...The repair is complete and the car is running but I have a terrible squeak sound from the left front wheel. It reminds me of an old mustang. Car handles fine but me wife is not happy about the noise
There are only two possibilities. First are the wheel bearings. The second are the brake pads. But these two noises would be completely different. One would be a shrill sheet metal type squeak (brakes) and the other not have the sheet metal sound. With the wheel off the ground and you spin the front wheel by hand, see what you can discern. Grab the front wheel and see how much play the bearing has. It should have ZERO that you can feel and the wheel should spin very freely. Then look to see how the brake pads weathered sitting out in the elements and not moving. Could your rotors have pitted to high heaven? Perhaps your slide pin bolts are stuck on the calipers and the brakes are dragging on one side.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
There is a third possibility. The brake dust shield might be rubbing up against the disc rotor. The solution is pretty easy; just jack up the car, spin the wheel by hand, and if you see/hear any rubbing, simply bend the dust shield so that it's a bit further away from the rotor.
smyers and Witek_M like this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2006 e320 CDI
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
No one mentioned this yet, but when you mentioned it sounds like a older mustang my first though was upper control arm bushings. Older Fords were notorious for the bushings drying out. I assume if you bounce the car you hear the noise? Or is it a noise when you are moving?
Mike T.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:26 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2017
Vehicle: 2006 cdi, 1993 500e
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
sounds like a bit of checking about. I assume you'd be able to tell if it was a brake dust shield rubbing. Squeeking could be a bushing which is generally the lower inboard bushing. I don't know your mileage or history, but it could also be thrust link or the lower ball joint. Upper a-arms and ball joints last pretty good.

Visually you can inspect the bushings. How many miles are on your car? Have you replaced any suspension parts?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The car has 240K miles which was one reason I decided to pull the head and clean all the gunk out. There was a lot of gunk in the intake / valves and the car does run a lot better so that part was worth it.

I have put in the camber bolt to help out in the front but that is it since I have owned it. Even with the camber bolts I am barely in spec. I was working that issue when I found the black death and started the whole head rework.

When I push down on the front left it makes a squeak sound and a click. When I push down on the right front I hear close to the same but maybe not the click, and also hear it from the left when pushing down on the right. When I push on the back its quiet.

When I did move it from sitting both the front breaks made noise and I assumed that was normal since they were rusted from sitting but it quieted shortly after so I was thinking it was not the brakes. I did spin the left front wheel real quick after I had started test driving and had it jacked up to work out an engine item I was checking. It seems normal but can check it again.

The noise happens when going over dips and entering driveways ect.

I will take a good look at the brakes this weekend and check the bearing and bushings. I will update when I get that done.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 04:26 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2006 e320 CDI
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
When I push down on the front left it makes a squeak sound and a click. When I push down on the right front I hear close to the same but maybe not the click, and also hear it from the left when pushing down on the right. When I push on the back its quiet.

Mine did exactly the same thing and it ended up being the ball joints. If they were never replaced, they need to be replaced in pairs (MB has this documented for the non believers).
Mike T.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You kinda didn't mention that originally. You said it was coming from the front left wheel. So that is clearly not brakes or wheel bearings. If it was brakes or wheel bearings, its going to be a repetitious sound that gets quicker the faster you go. If it only happens on bumps, then it's a suspension issue and not the front left wheel. Thrust arm bushings perhaps, shocks... could be anything in there.
Witek_M and cowboyt like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in