LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2008 e350 loss of electrical power

I have 2008 e350 wagon which is at a remote site and was driven once a month. Due to the cold winter months, it is connected to a battery trickle charger. As a month ago it has no electrical activity which includes manually opening the doors, no lights, etc. The elderly person who starts the car monthly says that the trickle charger indicates that the battery is fully charged. When I get to the car I plan to test the year old battery. If it is not the battery could some folks recommend other components, like fuses, to check? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1972
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e320..1995 View Post
I have 2008 e350 wagon which is at a remote site and was driven once a month. Due to the cold winter months, it is connected to a battery trickle charger. As a month ago it has no electrical activity which includes manually opening the doors, no lights, etc. The elderly person who starts the car monthly says that the trickle charger indicates that the battery is fully charged. When I get to the car I plan to test the year old battery. If it is not the battery could some folks recommend other components, like fuses, to check? Thanks
Volt meter, battery tester and simple test light.

1972 280SEL 4.5
1999 ML320
2000 E320
2003 ML350

Last edited by Witek_M; 05-04-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2015
Vehicle: 2002 Mercedes ML320, Mercedes 190E 2.3L (sold), 2001 Mercedes c320(gone)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Garage
2008 e350 loss of electrical power

It could simply be that somehow the battery connection is not good.

I faced something a few weeks ago:

I was having some fun with my SDS and suddenly the car went black, initial instant fear factor was SDS has somehow roasted 'my entire car' how???? I used a jumper power pack and it started right up, I felt my battery suddenly packed up since it's nothing near an original battery.

Drove out that night, any stop, car would go totally black, jump, go, headlights would flicker all the way. My mind went to the battery connection which was some embarrassingly modified connection i made after some thief cut the heads off. Long story.

Short story, next morning, I just made a better connection on both terminals and that was the end of that. So depending on your charging setup maybe over time there's some slow wiggle and the connection is not good. That should be your first step, clean and tighten the clamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
So the car is dead and there is no indication of any electrically activity. Obviously all signs point to the battery except that the trickle charger indicates that the battery is charged. I am going to get to the car location this week and the battery is the first thing I will test. If the battery is drained then this is due to a faulty trickle charger. However, if the battery is charged then I was wondering if there was other components that could cause the same issue. If anyone know, it would be appreciated. Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Fuse box F33 powers most of the car. Start there.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w21...l#post17674162

1972 280SEL 4.5
1999 ML320
2000 E320
2003 ML350
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Update: When I reached the e350 and tested the voltage it read 8V. Had it jumped and ran it around for an hour. Upon trying to restart, it was dead. Tested that battery and it now read 3V. Either the alternator or the battery had gone. Tested both and it was the battery. I was surprised as the battery was only a year old and an MB one. Not my purchase. I wonder if the trickle charger could have caused the battery failure thru overcharging, but both the manual and product custom support said is shutdown after charge and when into float mode. Probably will invest in another trickle charger brand. Thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:34 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Update: When I reached the e350 and tested the voltage it read 8V. Had it jumped and ran it around for an hour. Upon trying to restart, it was dead. Tested that battery and it now read 3V. Either the alternator or the battery had gone. Tested both and it was the battery. I was surprised as the battery was only a year old and an MB one. Not my purchase. I wonder if the trickle charger could have caused the battery failure thru overcharging, but both the manual and product custom support said is shutdown after charge and when into float mode. Probably will invest in another trickle charger brand. Thanks
Along with new charger invest in battery monitor. This way you can verify charger operation and vehicle usage.

Here is CTEK 800 mA charger connected to E320.

After few hours is starts to cycle.

I can go three months back and look at battery condition and vehicle usage.

1972 280SEL 4.5
1999 ML320
2000 E320
2003 ML350
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:08 AM
Purple Moderator

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
If a receipt can be found the MB batteries have a two year warranty from the dealer and they will supply a new battery.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
The wifi battery monitors look like they would provide some great monitoring, especially from a far. As for maintaining battery charge, I took a brief look at battery electric warmers or blankets which basically keep the battery warm. I am not sure whether the winter low temperature trashed the battery.

As for trusting trickle charges, the over engineered option would be to install the WiFi battery monitor, and the trickle charger on an WiFi electric power switch. When the battery voltage drops the monitor would notify me via an alert to my mobile phone from which I could remotely switch on the battery trickle charger and turn it off when the battery was re charged. Thanks
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:44 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Trickle chargers are well known to fry a good battery. That's why I'd only throw a charger on the battery every month or so if you have it in storage. It would probably be fine even without a trickle charger for a couple months. Also I wouldn't bother just starting it once a month, it probably doesn't even get hot, should probably go out for a good drive so at least the car gets up to operating temperature and can burn off water.
jlexvold likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in