Mercedes-Benz Forum

Mercedes-Benz Forum (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/)
-   W211 E-Class (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/)
-   -   Cooling system lasted about 15 years! :) (https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e-class/3025046-cooling-system-lasted-about-15-years.html)

mgill85258 05-02-2019 06:21 PM

Cooling system lasted about 15 years! :)
 
Had radiator, upper and lower hoses, bleeder line, and expansion tank all totally swapped for brand new stuff.

Apparently the expansion tank is lovingly referred to as the 'explosion tank' by the auto techs. Eventually they'll just burst from the constant expanding/contracting with the heat and pressure, etc.

Should be all set for at least another 15 years, I guess. I suppose it's definitely suggested that if you're replacing the radiator just go ahead and do all those other items as well so you don't need to go back and drain/refill and replace the expansion tank when that decides to go.

Hopefully that was the largest repair bill I'll have to deal with for some time. :eek

Benzyle 05-02-2019 11:53 PM

Nice work,,I presume the coolant was changed too,,,
I think the cooling system is excellent on these cars,,,15 years coolant life is brilliant,,
Both my cars I have replaced coolant with new mb blue...everything else looks like it could do another 15 years easily,,,never heard of a tank rupturing.

tjts1 05-03-2019 04:09 AM

20 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgill85258 (Post 17774876)
Had radiator, upper and lower hoses, bleeder line, and expansion tank all totally swapped for brand new stuff.

What about the water pump?

Currently in the middle of swapping out the E320 radiator for an E500 radiator. Also doing hoses and water pump at the same time. The E320 radiator is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. Its the same thickness as the AC condenser. The E500 radiator core is more than double the capacity.

mgill85258 05-03-2019 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 17775220)
What about the water pump?

Currently in the middle of swapping out the E320 radiator for an E500 radiator. Also doing hoses and water pump at the same time. The E320 radiator is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. Its the same thickness as the AC condenser. The E500 radiator core is more than double the capacity.

You know, after I got home I thought... the water pump is basically the only thing that was not changed. I wonder how long those usually last? They did a full inspection of the car and didn't say anything about it. I presume it's perfectly fine.

I'd imagine the bigger engine requires a larger radiator? My E320 stays dead center on the temp gauge at all times, without having done any hill climbing (yet) ... seems totally fine to me.

mgill85258 05-03-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzyle (Post 17775108)
Nice work,,I presume the coolant was changed too,,,
I think the cooling system is excellent on these cars,,,15 years coolant life is brilliant,,
Both my cars I have replaced coolant with new mb blue...everything else looks like it could do another 15 years easily,,,never heard of a tank rupturing.

Yeah if you're swapping the components you obviously drain first and refill when done.. so yes, fresh coolant. I'd imagine the coolant was definitely changed before... so, while the radiator lasted 15 years, the coolant was changed likely several times (I think I have the records that show at least a couple of coolant flushes)...

tjts1 05-03-2019 06:30 AM

19 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgill85258 (Post 17775292)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 17775220)
What about the water pump?

Currently in the middle of swapping out the E320 radiator for an E500 radiator. Also doing hoses and water pump at the same time. The E320 radiator is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. Its the same thickness as the AC condenser. The E500 radiator core is more than double the capacity.

You know, after I got home I thought... the water pump is basically the only thing that was not changed. I wonder how long those usually last? They did a full inspection of the car and didn't say anything about it. I presume it's perfectly fine.

I'd imagine the bigger engine requires a larger radiator? My E320 stays dead center on the temp gauge at all times, without having done any hill climbing (yet) ... seems totally fine to me.

My temp gauge stays dead center too (except when I'm towing uphill) because at low speed or any time I'm sitting in traffic the cooling fan is working overtime to make up for the small radiator. 99% of people never notice it until the fan unexpectedly dies. I drive this car pretty hard so I want maximum cooling capacity.

If you're going to invest in the cooling system I would do the water pump too at the same time. Pull the water pump pulley (4 screws) and check the weep hole for any green residue. Or wiggle the water pump pulley to check for play. Mine had a slow leak and a little play. It's dirt cheap so why not. I'm not going to wait for it to fail.

mgill85258 05-03-2019 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjts1 (Post 17775314)
My temp gauge stays dead center too (except when I'm towing uphill) because at low speed or any time I'm sitting in traffic the cooling fan is working overtime to make up for the small radiator. 99% of people never notice it until the fan unexpectedly dies. I drive this car pretty hard so I want maximum cooling capacity.

If you're going to invest in the cooling system I would do the water pump too at the same time. Pull the water pump pulley (4 screws) and check the weep hole for any green residue. Or wiggle the water pump pulley to check for play. Mine had a slow leak and a little play. It's dirt cheap so why not. I'm not going to wait for it to fail.

Ah, I see what you're saying. Makes sense. Well, the shop took care of everything for me. Never thought to ask them about it. Maybe I will ... not sure if there's a particular test they do or something to check it? Maybe they looked at it, at least I would hope they did.

Edit: Seemed fine for them, spinning freely, no leaks. So I guess that's why a replacement wasn't suggested.

Kajtek1 05-03-2019 02:47 PM

The cluster gauge is dummy gauge, or at least on my 2008 model.
I drove it with temp displayed on climatronic and when going downhill engine cooled down to 75C, the dash gauge did not drop from 82C.
Water pumps can outlast the car, so you never know.
The best preemptive repair is get a new car.

mgill85258 05-03-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kajtek1 (Post 17775658)
The best preemptive repair is get a new car.

:big laugh:

Benzyle 05-03-2019 09:50 PM

For me a water pump is not a maintenance item....if it ain't broke ,,dont fix it..


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.