I'm now a 211 owner - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2011
Vehicle: 2001 E320 - Karl; 2000 ML55 AMG - Klaus; 2005 ML350 - Gertraud (daughter's car)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I'm now a 211 owner

due to my continuing medical issues, i have moved from my W210 E321 to a 2008 W211 E350. car in great condition with average miles and complete service records. Will post some pics soon, but have driven about 400 miles in the past 4 days and ... it's a very nice car. looking forward to a nice arrangement with this one.

98 e320 white 202K (totalled)
01 e320 black 158K ... black beauty (for sale)
00 ML 55 Azure blue 134K ... beast mode
05 ml350 black 105K (daughter's car thank GOD)
08 e350 red ... the new sled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:45 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2018
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvschulz View Post
due to my continuing medical issues, i have moved from my W210 E321 to a 2008 W211 E350. car in great condition with average miles and complete service records. Will post some pics soon, but have driven about 400 miles in the past 4 days and ... it's a very nice car. looking forward to a nice arrangement with this one.
Congratulations! Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2005 W211 E320
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I did the same move myself recently. The W211, while it had a few quality quirks that aren’t quite as robust, shall we say, as the 210 seems to make up for it in other areas. I am impressed by interior comfort, overall aesthetics, road noise (or lack of) and general ride quality. Also the newer tech is pretty nice without going overboard like modern cars.

Enjoy the car.

Matt

Current:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 W211 E320

Previously Owned:
1999 W210 E320
2013 W451 fortwo pure
1997 W202 C230
1996 W202 C220
1996 W140 S320 L
1995 W202 C220
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:08 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2017
Vehicle: 99 E320 4Matic 98 C280 02 CLK430 09 E550
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Congrats my friend !!

Iíve been Swapping cars almost every year. And finally found got in to w211 with no regrets.
The car is amazing And itís the perfect daily, Canít wait to start adding mods

Iíve had a W210 W202 and W208
All great cars
But nothing compared to my new baby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: 2008 E300 4Matic
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgill85258 View Post
I did the same move myself recently. The W211, while it had a few quality quirks that arenít quite as robust, shall we say, as the 210 seems to make up for it in other areas.
Can you name a few "quirks" that are more robust in the W210 than the W211?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:00 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzo View Post
Can you name a few "quirks" that are more robust in the W210 than the W211?
Some of the interior parts seem to be more robust.. center console armrest is covered in what seems like a very durable and well-wearing leather (never had any issues with mine, while the 211 leather is loose) ... the door sil plates stick up too much on the 211 and are a common point of failure, my drivers side is broken... the 210 never had that problem.

Hmm... the door panel does have a nice comfy armrest on the 211, but the material seems to wear a bit from use, whereas the 210 had a more rugged, solid door panel, that seems to last and wear better over time, although I'd still prefer the 211 cause it's more comfortable..

I mean overall I'd still take the 211 as a general improvement, just a few nit picky things that I could point out.

Matt

Current:

2005 W211 E320

Previously Owned:
1999 W210 E320
2013 W451 fortwo pure
1997 W202 C230
1996 W202 C220
1996 W140 S320 L
1995 W202 C220
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 06:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Some of the interior parts seem to be more robust.. center console armrest is covered in what seems like a very durable and well-wearing leather (never had any issues with mine, while the 211 leather is loose) ... the door sil plates stick up too much on the 211 and are a common point of failure, my drivers side is broken... the 210 never had that problem.

Hmm... the door panel does have a nice comfy armrest on the 211, but the material seems to wear a bit from use, whereas the 210 had a more rugged, solid door panel, that seems to last and wear better over time, although I'd still prefer the 211 cause it's more comfortable..

I mean overall I'd still take the 211 as a general improvement, just a few nit picky things that I could point out.
I've been driving my '06 W211 since 2007 and have put 300K miles on it personally. (Now at 325K) As far as wear, there are a few things that are a bit less "robust" on them internally for sure, but overall, fairly minor and damage can be avoided with care. I'll comment on those things you mentioned, and others you have not. Mine is kept garaged and when left parked outside, I use one of those folding custom fit windsheld sun covers. I also have the rear window retracting shield which I keep up most of the time during the day. My interior is leather and not MB Tex.

The center console and arm rest seem to wear just fine in the 211. Mine show almost zero wear. So I don't agree with that one. Perhaps someone was a bit rough before you. The biggest cuplrit in interior degradation are body and hand lotions. The stuff is bad news on leather and plastic.

The cloth on the sill seal cover of the W211 is indeed a wear point. I have trained myself to simply pick up my feet and swing them over the sill plate and never step on them. I really like the sophistication of the soft cloth look next to the SS sill plate cover, but it comes with a price. Either don't step on it or be prepared to replace it every 5 years or so. Even being careful, it does get soiled but I find that it cleans up easily with upholstery cleaner and a shop vac. Mine are original and still look pretty new. The stainless sill plate with the plastic trim wont get broken if you swing your legs in and out. The sills are higher on the 211 because they were stiffening up the car's frame, so that beam is higher than the 210.

The B-pillar covers share the same nature as the sill seal cover; they are a cloth material covered. The lower part of that cover is very easily ripped by people that don't have the core strength to lower their self into the car and rather just flop in and pry themselves out while rubbing that B-post cover with their hip. It will wear and rip easily. I just bought a replacement from Fleabay for the passenger's side to replace this. That is one place I would have rather have had vinyl.

Chrome look plastic. The door handles of my front doors have both began to peel. It started about around 250K miles. The peeling chrome is sharp and can cut you and you have to trim it off to avoid being cut. I just bought replacement door handles, but have not yet put them on. They are not expensive ($17 each I think they were), but you have to remove the interior door panels to replace them which is tricky. A little of the chrome also peeled off the sliding cover on the console as well. I don't believe that can be replaced without replacing that segmented cover, which I am sure is expensive. Probably a junkyard search for it. I'm not bothering with that one as it is so minor.

The plastic trim around the front seat rear mounts in the back seat floor that covers the carpet's edge. These are thin plastic in critical points and eventually break from being stepped on if you have many ride in the backseat. Luckily, they are less than $5 each and very easy to replace.

Other than that, the interior of mine has held up very well indeed. I get comments all the time when people ride with me as they can't believe it is a high mileage 2006 car when they look at the lack of wear on the interior.
ezzo likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:03 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Yes, overall I agree it's a fairly well made car, all things considered, with a few exceptions. Mine is a 2005 and I have not seen any issue on the door handles, even with the drivers handle being kinda dinged up from the person likely wearing rings or something to cause that - Is it possible that 05 and older are actually metal? I believe they feel metal to my untrained perception of them.... they don't seem like plastic to me. No sign of peeling at all.

I have been kind of "learning" how best to install and remove myself from the drivers seat to avoid the B pillar, and eventually I will consider replacing it as it has some wear.

It's very logical regarding the hight of the door sill and frame stiffening, that makes sense! I already ordered a replacement insert for the drivers side so I will take your suggestion on swinging my legs over and just trying to be more careful as not to break that part.

Mine has the doors that flap open in the center console where your arm rests. I believe people are putting their weight on that piece when trying to readjust their seating position, because I noticed that I automatically started doing this. I've been trying to use the dead-center of this armrest to put any eight on it as opposed to putting weight on the center of one of the flaps to try and avoid stretching the leather. It's just not as durable as the W210 armrest, but it's also an entirely different design with the flaps instead of it just opening up. I'll have it re-covered and then just try to be more careful, I think.

Can't complain with around 190k on the clock and the car, honestly still looks fairly "showroom" ISH... (I say "ish") ... I mean, it's a damn nice car for the age and all things considered.

So far, while at times I see a W210 on the road and miss it for it's interesting character, I would not go back to one given the choice. Unless maybe it were a mint E55 or something, that could be tempting, but generally speaking no, I would prefer the W211 for daily cruising and comfort. The seats, for example, seem much more firm and much nicer because they lack the old-fashioned springy feeling that you have with older seats.

Are you sure that they are leather? Because it seems on mine the perforated inserts in the centers of the seats are in fact leather, and the outsides of the seats are actually vinyl. The leather expert that worked on my car actually told me this to confirm. The vinyl is used because it is less prone to changing from the oils in your skin and is better at dealing with it from a pH perspective, or something along those lines... in other words, the vinyl tends not to react like leather does and will stay looking "new" for a much longer period of time. I can vouch for this as my vinyl looks fantastic while the leather is beginning to see a bit of wear (not much, though)...

I will have to re-dye the perforated insert at some point (not yet!) because it is beginning to wear the dye on the perforations as I slide my butt in and out or whatever... mostly from the drivers leg, actually, probably the drivers leg action with operating the pedals - however, it's very very minor and probably will take a bit more time to be something noticeably bad looking.

In any case, leather is always easy to re-dye, not sure about "perforated" leather, though.. that could be tricky as not to get the dye into all the holes, but I'll just ask an expert on that, I guess.

Wood trim, of course has a couple of cracks here and there, but nothing that stands out and warrants replacement. Probably not much you can do about that short of removing and refinishing or replacing it.

The buttons for the drivers memory seat seem pretty bad, though. They don't work well and apparently it's a common point of failure. If I fiddle with them for a minute usually I can get them to operate correctly. It's not really a big deal if you're the only one driving the car, anyway. Once you've got it set you likely don't need to mess with this again.

Matt

Current:

2005 W211 E320

Previously Owned:
1999 W210 E320
2013 W451 fortwo pure
1997 W202 C230
1996 W202 C220
1996 W140 S320 L
1995 W202 C220
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
...I have not seen any issue on the door handles, even with the drivers handle being kinda dinged up from the person likely wearing rings or something to cause that - Is it possible that 05 and older are actually metal?...

...Mine has the doors that flap open in the center console where your arm rests....

...Are you sure that they are leather? Because it seems on mine the perforated inserts in the centers of the seats are in fact leather...

...Wood trim, of course has a couple of cracks here and there...

The buttons for the drivers memory seat seem pretty bad, though. They don't work well and apparently it's a common point of failure. If I fiddle with them for a minute usually I can get them to operate correctly. It's not really a big deal if you're the only one driving the car, anyway. Once you've got it set you likely don't need to mess with this again.
I assure you, the interior door handles are a chromed plastic and I don't think there was any change made during all production years of the W211. Mercedes uses competitive contractors to make parts and they are not all equal. All my original door handles have these tiny flashing seams along the top inside where your fingers rub as you release the handle. It is from this seam where the plating peeled. I bought replacements (not yet installed) and they are completely devoid of that tiny seam! They are completely smooth on the top inside. So I doubt these will ever peel. (See photos.) I may replace the rear inside handles as well, as they have the seams, but are not peeling because the back seats get much less use.

There were some changes from your to year on the interiors for sure. Mine has the sliding wooden cover and not the two doors that flap open. Obviously, one doesn't lean on the wooden cover. Mine stays open most of the time anyway.

MBtex (fancy vinyl) was standard. Leather was an option on the interiors. Mine was ordered with the leather interior. The leather seems to wear better long term. It wears, but doesn't crack like MBtex seems to do eventually. Mine is perforated in the middle as well and is wearing well. The outside left bolster shows the most wear where you rub as you spin to get in and out, but no signs of any cracking. It looks like friction worn leather to me on the bolster.

Yep, hairline cracks appear in the wood trim and I too have a few, but it's not bad. The top of my steering wheel has the most, which I suppose is due to the sun and having my hands on it constantly.

My seat memory buttons work perfectly. Never a problem. And the lettering looks brand new.

Do you have the stickiness on plastic around the headlight control knob, or was that cleaned up before you got the car?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-16 15.21.47.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	2520904   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-16 15.19.22.jpg
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2520906   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-16 15.20.55.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	2520908   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-16 15.19.34.jpg
Size:	4.66 MB
ID:	2520910   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-16 15.19.13.jpg
Size:	4.64 MB
ID:	2520912  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-16 15.18.59.jpg
Size:	4.65 MB
ID:	2520914  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 04:03 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2014
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyers View Post
I've been driving my '06 W211 since 2007 and have put 300K miles on it personally. (Now at 325K) As far as wear, there are a few things that are a bit less "robust" on them internally for sure, but overall, fairly minor and damage can be avoided with care. I'll comment on those things you mentioned, and others you have not. Mine is kept garaged and when left parked outside, I use one of those folding custom fit windsheld sun covers. I also have the rear window retracting shield which I keep up most of the time during the day. My interior is leather and not MB Tex.

The center console and arm rest seem to wear just fine in the 211. Mine show almost zero wear. So I don't agree with that one. Perhaps someone was a bit rough before you. The biggest cuplrit in interior degradation are body and hand lotions. The stuff is bad news on leather and plastic.

The cloth on the sill seal cover of the W211 is indeed a wear point. I have trained myself to simply pick up my feet and swing them over the sill plate and never step on them. I really like the sophistication of the soft cloth look next to the SS sill plate cover, but it comes with a price. Either don't step on it or be prepared to replace it every 5 years or so. Even being careful, it does get soiled but I find that it cleans up easily with upholstery cleaner and a shop vac. Mine are original and still look pretty new. The stainless sill plate with the plastic trim wont get broken if you swing your legs in and out. The sills are higher on the 211 because they were stiffening up the car's frame, so that beam is higher than the 210.

The B-pillar covers share the same nature as the sill seal cover; they are a cloth material covered. The lower part of that cover is very easily ripped by people that don't have the core strength to lower their self into the car and rather just flop in and pry themselves out while rubbing that B-post cover with their hip. It will wear and rip easily. I just bought a replacement from Fleabay for the passenger's side to replace this. That is one place I would have rather have had vinyl.

Chrome look plastic. The door handles of my front doors have both began to peel. It started about around 250K miles. The peeling chrome is sharp and can cut you and you have to trim it off to avoid being cut. I just bought replacement door handles, but have not yet put them on. They are not expensive ($17 each I think they were), but you have to remove the interior door panels to replace them which is tricky. A little of the chrome also peeled off the sliding cover on the console as well. I don't believe that can be replaced without replacing that segmented cover, which I am sure is expensive. Probably a junkyard search for it. I'm not bothering with that one as it is so minor.

The plastic trim around the front seat rear mounts in the back seat floor that covers the carpet's edge. These are thin plastic in critical points and eventually break from being stepped on if you have many ride in the backseat. Luckily, they are less than $5 each and very easy to replace.

Other than that, the interior of mine has held up very well indeed. I get comments all the time when people ride with me as they can't believe it is a high mileage 2006 car when they look at the lack of wear on the interior.
Wow that's pretty impressive mileage for a 2006 especially with how many had bad balance shafts. You should get the high mileage badges, you can get two of them with that kind of mileage.

https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/herit...ghmileageaward

Sleeper Benz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in