2006 E320 CDI - Refurbishing my beloved ride. Looking for things I might miss. - Page 7 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
Waiting for diesel to come to thermostat opening while idling can take forever...
...Bare in mind coolant replacement also calls for chem pack replacement, what is integrated inside reservoir.
Oh yes, I know it does heat slowly at idle. I do something close to what you do, but I DO live where it gets quite cold in the winter and need a 50/50 mix. When it's really cold here and I take off in the morning, I drive nearly 5 miles at highway speed before it comes up to temp. I buy antifreeze premixed so I don't have to screw with the distilled water and making sure it is 50/50. It's worth the $10 extra to save the PITA factor.

Tell me about this elusive chem pack. I see nothing at all in the STAR service manual about such a thing and I've looked extensively. NOTE - I am replacing my reservoir tank at this time, as I was taking apart the hose from it to inspect the o-ring and the connection disintegrated. Just a wee bit brittle from years of heat cycling. Grr.

I am thinking I am going to buy the vacuum tool. As I look at my other cars, I note that none of them have radiator caps anymore, so this vacuum tool could be used on my other cars as well. The vacuum method has certainly got to be a lot more foolproof for getting all the air out than the heating it up and letting it suck back in method. I note there are cheapo Chinese vacuum tools on Amazon, but who knows how well those work. It's something I'm going to use once every other year and that is about it, so I don't need the highest quality, but it does need to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
A small snag - The 210589009100 radiator pressure test cap alone costs over $75! And I haven't found an alternative. A vacuum kit is worthless without this adapter cap.

BUT, I did find a universal vacuum kit (Chinese no doubt) that contains a compatible cap, PLUS is contains a pressure pump for pressure testing the cooling system. And it will fit my other vehicles. This cheapo kit may be worth the risk.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28-PCS-Radi...QAAOSwqrZcUjy6
post #63 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
All MB I know about have self-purging cooling system. Only issue is solid thermostat.
The chem pack is part of 15 years coolant life, where the same coolant in older car with no pack have 2 years intervals.
I read here that some aftermarket reservoirs come with no pack, so it is worth buying MB part.
If you have pressure gauge on your garage shelf, it is easy to build your own test kit, using the small bleeding hose.
Small Tee you can buy with universal vacuum kit, some hose and connector.
I build something like that for my 6l Powerstroke and drove with it permanently since the engine had weak head bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kajtek1; 04-29-2019 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
All MB I know about have self-purging cooling system. Only issue is solid thermostat...
...The chem pack is part of 15 years coolant life... I read here that some aftermarket reservoirs come with no pack, so it is worth buying MB part.
...If you have pressure gauge on your garage shelf, it is easy to build your own test kit, using the small bleeding hose. Small Tee you can buy with universal vacuum kit, some hose and connector...
Self-Purging cooling system - Not according to the Mercedes Tech at my dealership. He said it will work it's way out eventually, but takes watching the reservoir level and screwing around. (As we already discussed.) I've already pulled the trigger on the vacuum/pressure test system anyway. Since I couldn't find the pressure test lock cap for less than $75, the kit I bought just makes sense. From what I've read on using these, it makes is VERY easy and FAST to change coolant and to be 100% sure there is no air in the system. Assuming this cheapo Chinese version I bought works OK, I think it's money well spent, as I can use it on my other cars as well. And it comes with a pressure tester too. For its $90 cost, I don't have to screw around with fabricating anything or finding a cap and can follow the factory procedure.

I'm not sure where you got this info on a "chem pack". Today I bought a replacement reservoir straight from my local dealership and had a discussion with the tech about a chem pack. There is no chem pack and never was according to the MB tech. He says it is just a plastic tank. And also keep in mind that the STAR service manual makes no mention of needing a service life on the reservoir or changing it when you change the fluid. If it is not in the STAR manual, I'm pretty certain it doesn't exist.

One thing I can guarantee you is that coolant life is not 15 years, even if you do some chem pack or additives. Zerex G-05 has a 5 year/150K mile life for passenger cars under normal duty per Valvoline's spec. What happens is that the additives oxidize over time due to breathing and heat cycling, plus water escapes very slowly. Even if you did do some additives or chemical pack, it is not worth it to try to push any hydraulic or coolant fluid 15 years. We're talking about $50 in fluid every 5 years and an hour of time.
post #65 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I did replace my coolant tank with new MB and it did have a chem pack in it. Check with FCP euro.

John
post #66 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:13 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
^^ Same here.

@smyers , if you want to change the coolant, consider using Motive's 2-gallon-tank pressure bleeder. Runs about $100, shipped. That's what I use on all my Benzes to first flush the system with distilled water, then fill it with a 50/50 mix of coolant. It's rather easy to use and does a fine, quick job; once the car's warmed up, I can have the system flushed and exchanged in about 15-20 minutes.

The particular model that I use is the Motive 1745.

For the adaptor cap, I use one of the big, rubber, cone-shaped ones. It actually holds surprisingly well even at +30 PSI, though I typically run it at 15 PSI. Yes, the cone works well on Benzes, too.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)
post #67 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangit View Post
I did replace my coolant tank with new MB and it did have a chem pack in it. Check with FCP euro.
John
OK, so I've taken a hard look inside and... Viola! There is indeed some sort of chemical pack inside. So apparently, the particular MB tech I spoke with originally was unaware.

So I called the dealership back and talked to the service manager. He was aware of the chem pack and told me that what it does is provide a sacrificial place to oxidation to occur instead of in the engine/radiator. He said it is not for extending the life of the coolant, but just for internal chemical reaction protection. HE also said that is does give some protection if people use tap water instead of distilled. And yes, it should be replaced when the fluid is changed, assuming the fluid made it a normal service interval. I still can't find it in the STAR service manual, which is disappointing.

I'll still stick to my guns and say there is no way coolant should get pushed to 15 years unless the vehicle is not driven very much. I get to 150K miles in 4ish years, so that pretty much meets the 5 years service life for G-05 per Prestone's specs. And if the fluid manufacturer says 5 years, then its 5 years, regardless of miles.

So, now I know for sure.
post #68 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:20 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Following MB recommendations is religion and you can't come to resolution.
I made my mind years ago and I follow MB oil changes recommendations even when my ML was hauling trailers on dino oils and FSS gave it 13k miles.
I don't use Zerex and I don't rush coolant replacement.
Fact is that first generation of 15 years coolant are just turning `15 years old and I don't blame MB technician that he has never seen this animal yet.

post #69 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
...I don't use Zerex and I don't rush coolant replacement....
What do you use? Zerex G-05 is the specified fluid per the manual.
post #70 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
You can also use the newer G-48 "blue" fluid, which came out in (I think) 2008. Think of it as the new Zerex G-05. You can use either. Furthermore, both are compatible with each other if you just really like green. :-)

What do I use? Whichever one of those two is on sale.

It's much like how 722.6 five-speed transmissions were originally spec'ed for 236.10 ATF, though 236.14, the later and 722.9-friendly formulation, is also spec'ed as correct by M-B themselves for 722.6. All of my cars have 722.6's. I started out with 236.10. However, since I can get Shell ATF 134 for $7.00/bottle at the distributors, I just use that now.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in