2006 E320 CDI - Refurbishing my beloved ride. Looking for things I might miss. - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossafuss View Post
-Motor and transmission mounts...
Yep. I've replaced those before.

Quote:
... I made the mistake of going with OE SACHS for replacements rather than bilsteins, the Sachs have a much too squishy feel, and not in a good classic-luxury-car-squishy kind of way. The Sachs still feel as though the car wofts around too much...
OK. Which Bilsteins did you go with? B4 or B6? I've read that B4 build quality isn't as good as Sach OE, but that B6 is much better. I'm looking for long life.

Quote:
-Driveshaft center support and bearing. its not so much the bearing that goes bad (mine was fine with nearly half a million miles of wear), but the support that HOLDS the bearing that goes bad. if your transmission mount has ever allowed the trans and driveshaft to sag for any period of time, it wears out the rubber in the support and causes it to crack and break loose.
I'll have a close look at this soon.

Quote:
-Check ALL your ball joints and rubber suspension mounts. you would be amazed how much super tight suspension improves ride quality and handling. check the rubber bushings super closely, any cracking is a sign that excessive movement is taking place in that bushing, and it needs to be replaced.
I do try to keep up on ball joints and mounts.

Quote:
Swirl Flaps, heres a video i made on that...
A mod i made for the engine covers makes removing the covers MUCH easier...
...alternator clutch pulley and all idler pulleys....
I've actually seen your swirl flap video before. Mine is fine.
I'm OK with the standard torx head bolts on the engine cover. It's plenty easy enough for me.
Yep. I've had to replace an idler before. I keep my eyes and ears on this.

Quote:
-REBUILD YOUR INJECTORS!...
I may do this exact thing toward the end, as I've had this recommended before. It idles smoothly and not excessive black smoke on acceleration. Haven't done a leak-off test though, which would be the tell-tale. I get a puff of black on hard accels, but it's always done that, even when it was a puppy.

Quote:
And a primer on the fuel system...
Nice video. I'll have to watch it in it's entirety when I have a moment. I note your fuel pump is silver. Mine is painted black, which is original. Did you replace yours at some point?

Quote:
...replace with an OEM-look android head unit...
As in my original post, this is definitely on my radar screen. I'll have more questions about this when I get to that point for sure.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
@CheckEngine
@Rossafuss

Yep! When I started this adventure, I subscribed to Alex's channel. I followed his "Black Death" repair video and bought the tools he recommended. That was instrumental in the details of that repair. I'm more of a "keep it stock" for the most part kind of guy, so I won't be doing most of his mods. I won't be removing swirl valves, putting larger turbo on, lowering, etc. Yes, I might chip it, but only "gently".

One thing I should mention... When I bought the car, I did buy the factory STAR Service manual DVD as well. That is worth it's weight in gold. I did recently buy the emanualonline version that Alex recommended as well to see if it had more in it. It's a horrifically huge download (if you want the version with active links, which are necessary to really use it) and it is not as good as the original STAR service DVD. It includes too many versions of the car making it much more difficult to use. The factory DVD is far superior and worth it's original cost. Both the STAR Service and the emanualonline versions require running an XP emulator. No biggie, just one more thing to install. Granted, the cost of the STAR service manual DVD is $100, but it is just better and easier to work with because it is vehicle specific.
CheckEngine likes this.
post #23 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangit View Post
How about replacing your rubber diesel fuel lines?
You know, I've looked at them many times and they are still soft and supple. It's surprising.
hangit likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
A little more work today. Removed the air filter, air ducting, oil fill cap assembly and the plate that covers the turbo and cleaned up more black death leftovers and did an inspection. All is well there. I'll get to the drivers side of the engine bay on another day. I also replaced my right fog lamp, as it was broken by road debris over the winter. This definitely pushes the wet sanding/polishing of the headlamps up to a higher priority, as they look pretty awful compared to the new fog lamp. I also learned that my center underbody panel is broken, so that'll have to be replaced.

Baby steps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-20 10.27.12.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2506270   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-20 12.57.33.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	2506272   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-20 12.57.10.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	2506274  
post #25 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
The next little "leaky" area I need to deal with appears to be around the charge air pipe and intake manifold junction. Has anyone here dealt with this? If it is just that gasket between the manifold and the pipe, I'm hoping it is easy. Looking at the service manual it doesn't appear there is much else right there that could leak that much.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-04-21 11.59.58.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	2506436   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-21 12.00.45.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	2506438  
post #26 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Did a little cleanup of the area. I should be able to see where it is actually leaking over some time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-04-21 18.16.39.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	2506740  
post #27 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:56 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 87 300D 5 speed
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
When new 250 Bluetecs finally are getting support for their emission problems, they don't have any mechanical issues and don't think any other model can touch ,60 mpg.
LOL yeah sure, when monkeys fly out of your butt.

Triggering religious fanatics since 1969

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
LOL yeah sure, when monkeys fly out of your butt.
LOL

Well, I don't know about the flying butt monkeys, but I have driven 250 Bluetec. Its a completely different feel. 6 cylinder give much smoother power then 4. Probably the thing I noticed the most was the difference in the shifting. The E320 has the 5 speed tranny while the 250 has the 7 speed. Narrower torque band I'd guess.

Oddly, the HP & torque ratings on the 250 and 320 engines are similar, so that most likely means that the 320 is a much more conservative design with a wider torque band. What I noted when I first started driving the E320 is that its torque reminded me of the V8's of the late 60's early 70's. Smooth and effortless.

Mileage and feel - Well, I can tell you that when I'm driving in the mountains my E320 seemingly doesn't even know it's going up a steep hill. Like 15% grades near legal maximums. It just lopes up. And then I use the tranny for engine braking, it's very effective. Highway cruising, I get a solid 44+ MPG with my foot into it heavy at 80 MPH. It's a hellava tank range at near 850 miles when I'm travelling. So maybe a 250 could do better mileage wise under perfect conditions... but I don't have to screw with DEF fluid or worry about that pricey exhaust system.

Here is a photo of my mileage during the start of a recent trip averaging 75 MPH. Too many construction zones that day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-04-19 10.30.49.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	2506764  
CheckEngine likes this.
post #29 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:21 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2016
Vehicle: 2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
^^ That, right there, is a great explanation of why I bought my car. You said it well. Watching this thread, and a few others, for maintenance tips.

Here's the Diesel Power Magazine article I had referenced earlier.

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-truck...benz-e320-cdi/

Hold on to your cognac, indeed! :-)

It does have the pull of those older V8's, for sure. I can perceive a slight bit of turbo lag, but just a little, not enough to matter at all in even spirited acceleration situations. It doesn't sound like a V8, as the article's authors say that it does ("baby Cummins" would be my sonic description), but its Diesel torque cannot be denied.

Me: man, this car goes up hills really well.
Car: Hill...? What hill? Where?
Wallet at fill-up time: Thank you, Mercedes-Benz!

Fuel mileage for me hasn't been quite 44 mpg, more like 35 mpg, but that was in holiday freeway traffic, and we all know what that's like. Still not bad. Looking forward to taking it on a real road trip across a few fill-ups.

My car is the version without the heated leather seats. No big deal; it's easily enough solved with some aftermarket heaters and a switch. I can feel the very beginnings of suspension looseness, but this suspension has in excess of 140K on it, and it looks to be the original. Still feels pretty decent, so I've probably got a year or two before it really *needs* that work. I'll remember those B6 Bilstein shocks when that time comes (thanks, guys). As with all of my cars, it will get a complete front suspension overhaul during that time.

Unless you just want a new car...as long as it's basically in good shape, better to fix up certain cars and keep driving 'em than to saddle one's self into car payments for the next 5-or-so years. The '05-'06 E320 CDI certainly fits that bill.
CheckEngine likes this.

2000 S430 (Dad's car, used for special occasions)
2000 S500 (wife's DD: my first W220 project car)
2003 S600 ("sex on wheels"--second w220 project car)
2003 S430 (one of two current DD's--third W220 project car)
2005 E320 CDI (the other current DD--first W211 project car)

Last edited by cowboyt; 04-22-2019 at 01:27 PM.
post #30 of 217 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1980 Post(s)
The 7G in E250 BT is geared for economy.
It will do 80 mph at 1800 rpm, what was 8-cylinder range not even 20 years ago.
Anyway, you are restoring your I6 diesel becouse you love it and it is a great hobby IMHO.
I always get good kicks when trolls start commenting mpg.
I have pictures showing 99 mpg in 2005 E320 cdi and I have pictures showing 99 mpg in E250 Bluetec.
That just for the fun. Keep the pictures coming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in