2006 E320 CDI - Refurbishing my beloved ride. Looking for things I might miss. - Page 19 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 221 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
This is the first time I hear about WIS telling to keep DS oriented at flex coupling (change)
Which one is it?
Perhaps I am misinterpreting the WIS. I've attached the propeller shaft removal instructions. See step 4. I'm not sure why that would be.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Propeller Shaft Removal Instructions.pdf (231.1 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 221 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:49 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
I think they go over their heads just in case.
Millions of owners changed flex disks and never worry about DS orientation.
Not saying not to do it, but when you replace the disk, you loose factory setup anyway.
post #183 of 221 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I think they go over their heads just in case.
Millions of owners changed flex disks and never worry about DS orientation.
Not saying not to do it, but when you replace the disk, you loose factory setup anyway.
Right! That's what was baffling me. If you replace the transmission, if you replace the differential, it's going to all be different.

OK, so let me get back to the crux of my original question. If the two halve of the driveshaft are not marked and it is take apart, can it be put back together wrong? Are the splines "unkeyed". And if it is unkeyed and put back together wrong, are you screwed? Or do you need to get it rebalanced somewhere or simply buy a new one balanced? Or go find a donor at a junkyard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 221 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:42 AM
BenzWorld Elite

If the halves can be put at random position and you loose the original one, the shaft can be rebalanced.
But good luck in finding shop who still does it.
For years in California for advance work I was using engine shop.
But about 5 years ago the shop closed and Pet Hotel moved into the building.
No more machine work.
post #185 of 221 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
If the halves can be put at random position and you loose the original one, the shaft can be rebalanced.
But good luck in finding shop who still does it...
After a quick look, it seems I have at least three shops within 25 miles of me that do driveshaft balancing. That's one of the advantages of living in the rust belt. A lot of reasonable auto machine shops due to the Detroit influence.

For the record, I don't think my driveshaft is out of balance. I'm just trying to wrap my head around servicing the driveshaft. With the car having 325K on it and the flex discs never being replaced, I probably due for flex discs and intermediate bearing service.

What I do feel sometimes and part of what prompted my inquiry is what I would describe as the feeling of slight universal joint accel/decel under harder accelerations. Now I've not given this a close inspection, but I'm guessing the rubber on the intermediate bearing might be worn out, the bearing worn out or the support slightly out of line. Or it could simply be the flex discs needing replaced. Don't know yet. When I'm just cruising down the highway 75+, it's as smooth as butter, so it's unlikely its the drive shaft that's out of balance.
post #186 of 221 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Update of List for Rebuild

Now that I'm a good ways into the rebuild, I thought I'd recap and correct the list, as it has certainly grown. Total cost so far is $2606.77, which includes the special tools I bought and the parts purchased that are "in process". If I would have had the dealership and an independent perform these services, I would be at well over $12K just on the completed items.

In Process/Parts Purchased
  1. Replace driver's side foglight lens so it matches the passenger's side - lens purchased
  2. Replace Passenger's side B pillar interior cover - Has a rip in the cloth. Found a used one on Fleabay.
  3. Replace the shocks. Replacements already purchased.
  4. Replace headlamp lenses. Since lenses are available, I opted to buy replacements rather than polish out the original lenses.
  5. Replace a few interior plastic carpet trim pieces.
  6. Replace front seat interior door handles. Chrome finish has peeled off in several places from use.
  7. Go over the undercarriage and clean/recoat anything that is starting to rust due to the coating being chipped off.

Yet to be started
  1. Power Steering Flush
  2. Replace flex disks, intermediate bearing and mount on propeller shaft
  3. Replace certain incandescent bulbs on car with LED.
  4. Replace the TCC coil in the transmission valve body and do a complete tranny/torque converter flush. I've opted to start here rather than do a complete valve body rebuild at this time.
  5. Find aftermarket rear coil springs when I do the struts. These cars are prone to breaking the rear springs and I'm on my third set. There has got to be a decent aftermarket version that won't break. Stock sets seem to make it about 100K miles, so maybe I'll just call this normal maintenance.
  6. Inspect the the transaxle gearing and install new fluid. Check rear axle bearings and seals. They have always slowly seeped a bit, but not enough to change them out.
  7. Optional - Replace the transaxle gears with a limited slip version. If the car's drive line has a weakness it is in getting the torque to the ground. It's too easy to spin the tires when the roads are wet due to it's high and wide torque band.
  8. Look at the possibility of replacing the COMAND unit with a Xtrons unit or similar. This would add Bluetooth and all the niceties of android with a modernized screen. I'd probably lose the built-in GPS (who cares?) since I use Waze all the time anyway.
  9. Bodywork and fix paint imperfections. Lots of minor door dings. The front end is pretty speckled from gravel chips.
  10. Replace the windshield. It's a mess of microchips from the high mileage, plus there a few significant larger chips I had repaired already.

Completed Items - Some not on original List
  1. Fixed the Black Death - New injector seals installed and some associated parts replaced. Big clean up.
  2. Replaced EGR valve - It was indeed faulty and replacing it it brought the engine out of limp mode.
  3. Replaced Mixing tube/intake manifold gasket. It was leaking.
  4. Replaced passenger's side foglight - Was broken by a rock.
  5. Replaced center underbody panel - One ear was broken off.
  6. Replaced thermostat and Flush coolant - Replaced coolant reservoir as well.
  7. Replaced transmission connector heat shield - I found it was broken
  8. Replaced poly-V belt and inspect idler pulley
  9. Install AC humidity sensor
  10. Replaced hood struts - Got tired of being smacked on top of the head
  11. Replaced underbody panel speed nuts as well as some of the missing screws. Most were stripped to some degree.
  12. Replaced interior floor mats
  13. Replaced Wheels with OE reproduction wheels. Was going to have originals refinished, but found reproductions were less than half the cost. Replaced lug bolts and center caps as well.
  14. Replaced driver's side Xenon headlamp ballast.
  15. Replaced Front grill - The old one was a mess of chips.
  16. Engine Bay detailing completed
  17. Interior detailing completed

DELETED Chipping the engine. The engine runs so well and I've been very happy with its life, fuel economy and performance, so I've decided against screwing with this.
post #187 of 221 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyers View Post

DELETED Chipping the engine. The engine runs so well and I've been very happy with it's life, fuel economy and performance, so I've decided against screwing with this.

My tough about driving MB as well.
post #188 of 221 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
This is not specifically about my E320 CDI, but it is related. Since I've decided to start working on all my own cars again, I replaced my old standard garage door opener with a high lift, getting ready to put in a 2-post lift. They came and did the installation today. See photos. Had to share. Back to our regularly scheduled program.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-06 08.56.24.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	2518506   Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-06 17.35.48.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2518532  
post #189 of 221 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2015
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Nice laundry list...great progress...and great looking garage! I won't be posting pics of mine any time soon!

I think I agree with you re chipping. I'm tempted to do it just because I can...but the car runs so well stock I hardly see the point.
smyers likes this.
post #190 of 221 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

2-post lift? We had long topic about it somewhere.
I hope you get your slab tested for thickness and strength?
I put roll-able 4-post and love it.
Picture in my profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in