2006 E320 CDI - Refurbishing my beloved ride. Looking for things I might miss. - Page 10 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 221 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangit View Post
Why didn't you take it to the dealer for the humidity sensor since it was a service bulletin? It should have been a covered item and service.

John
Sadly, this is not something that could have been considered warranty. I wish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 221 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
[I]
The evaporator coil is icing over. Your system is low on Freon. Get it properly charged and that will take care of your problems. My cdi did the same thing and I added a can of Freon. Members from this forum frowned on that because I did not fill it exactly to factory specifications, but at the time my cdi was 10 years old and I took full responsibility if I screwed up. It is working now and does not freeze up.
Mike T.
I'm going to start with the humidity sensor and see how that goes. If this does not clear it up, then I'll move on to the freon. The dealer wants $300 for a drain and refill of the freon. I might take the gamble and do a little bit of freon at a time. My manual says it takes R134a. How much did you end up putting in yours?

I checked the capacity from the manual and is says 950 grams, which is 33.5 ounces. A typical can of freon is 12 ounces. Not that it means much; just thinking out loud.
post #93 of 221 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2006 e320 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyers View Post
I'm going to start with the humidity sensor and see how that goes. If this does not clear it up, then I'll move on to the freon. The dealer wants $300 for a drain and refill of the freon. I might take the gamble and do a little bit of freon at a time. My manual says it takes R134a. How much did you end up putting in yours?

I checked the capacity from the manual and is says 950 grams, which is 33.5 ounces. A typical can of freon is 12 ounces. Not that it means much; just thinking out loud.
What I did and again others will chime in that I did it all wrong was to put a thermometer in the center vent, turn the temperature dials down as far as they go, and put the fan on speed three (middle(?)). The ideal thing is to have the temperature coming out of the vents to be about 40-degrees. Some cars it will be colder and freeze you, and others it will be hard to get under 45-degrees. Right now I am assuming that your vent temperatures are approximately 50-degrees, plus or minus 3-degrees. It is also good to keep the rpms up a little while filling. Lucky, I had a stash of freon that I purchased for $.75 per can of R134a. Those were the days! I think I installed a half can, and a month later another half can. About two years later I installed another half can when I noticed the evaporator coil freezing up. It has been good since then. I did notice once last year that it started freezing again, but I turned the ac off and ran the fan until it cleared up. I believe that happened in humid Florida.

I also read all the post about the humidity sensor. My thinking is that MB tweaked the system for the 2006 models so that the sensor was no longer required. They would not just delete something if they knew it would cause future troubles. Just my thoughts on this.

Mike T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 221 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
...The ideal thing is to have the temperature coming out of the vents to be about 40-degrees. ...Right now I am assuming that your vent temperatures are approximately 50-degrees, plus or minus 3-degrees...

I also read all the post about the humidity sensor. My thinking is that MB tweaked the system for the 2006 models so that the sensor was no longer required. They would not just delete something if they knew it would cause future troubles. Just my thoughts on this.

Mike T.
Thanks for the info on how you handled the cooling temps. 40F sounds awfully cold, but maybe that is right. I just tested it with a lab grade thermometer and it was at 45F, but it is just 70F and raining here today. I would have expected it to be really cold on such a cool day. So indeed, it may be low.

I've worked with car OEM's for years in my industry. More likely - Bean counters started looking at where to save money as the 211 body style was "mature" and was going to be phased out by 09. The omission was more likely a calculated "business risk" model, knowing that they would get past warranty and minority of areas of the world had the kind of humidity/temp situations where it would be a problem. And there is also the fact that this only happens when you have been driving for some time; typically 2+ hours. So both the humidity condition and the long drive have to occur simultaneously, which is certainly a small minority of the people that drive W211's.
post #95 of 221 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:56 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2015
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I agree that it's a good idea to add the humidity sensor. Done to both of mine (one by PO, one by me). On the one car, AC would cut out on long trips when it rained...got REALLY muggy! Haven't had an issue since I replaced the sensor. Cheap on Ebay...easy to code. FYI it's not just a matter of setting the sensor to present. There is another setting or two if I recall correctly....something to do with what is governed by the sensor reading.

Last edited by shertex; 05-03-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #96 of 221 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
I agree that it's a good idea to add the humidity sensor. Done to both of mine (one by PO, one by me). On the one car, AC would cut out on long trips when it rained...got REALLY muggy! Haven't had an issue since I replaced the sensor. Cheap on Ebay...easy to code. FYI it's not just a matter of setting the sensor to present. There is another setting or two if I recall correctly....something to do with what is governed by the sensor reading.
I don't have a STAR tool, so I have to trust the dealership will get it right. I really should buy one of those tools. Pricey though.
post #97 of 221 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:09 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 2006 e320 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If you do go with the humidity sensor, please keep us posted. This is something I may look into. As for your ac blowing out 45-degree air, I think that is plenty cold and your system may not need any freon. Some vehicles will blow out air in the high 30's, that is cold!
Mike T.
post #98 of 221 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 04:56 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Please post the ebay link for a humidity sensor. 2006 E320 CDI.
Thanks.

John
post #99 of 221 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 05:11 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangit View Post
Please post the ebay link for a humidity sensor. 2006 E320 CDI.
Thanks.

John
Just search for part 2118300572.
post #100 of 221 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:23 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Thanks. What are prices being paid? I found used on ebay for less than $20, but $170 new.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in