2009 Shock Options (zillions) - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: '09 E350 4-matic sport, '83 240D 4-speed (sold), '77/'78 450SLC (junked), '81 500SLC (junked)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
All I'm wondering is if those Bilstein part numbers are comparable in stiffness and ride quality or better than the Sachs because a few parts places said Bilstein doesn't make rear shocks for my car. I'm not sure how to find out if they are actual OEM replacements, or just shocks that happen to fit. And I don't know how to find that out other than calling Bilstein, buying them and trying, or asking someone who has tried it.

Sorry if my first post wasn't clear...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:15 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2007 E350 SP1 (M211.056/E272.964)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Last year I got B6 Bilstein from autoanything. I first order B4 but after talking to customer service i return B4. They have free shipping on both return and sending new B6.
They are base in San diego and the have excellent customer service. The front shock has preset snap ring for the height that is set for my car. Before i put the order i call them to make sure that i will get the right one to avoid double charge for the installation.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4M, 1988 300TE
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by btv94 View Post
Last year I got B6 Bilstein from autoanything. I first order B4 but after talking to customer service i return B4. They have free shipping on both return and sending new B6.
They are base in San diego and the have excellent customer service. The front shock has preset snap ring for the height that is set for my car. Before i put the order i call them to make sure that i will get the right one to avoid double charge for the installation.
You adjust the snap ring yourself. It doesnít come preset to anything other than it being at the top setting, which would set ride height crazy high.

You put snap ring to either match current place or point lower (Iím going lower as Iím putting new springs on top as they were very inexpensive)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 09:54 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2011
Vehicle: 2007 E350 SP1 (M211.056/E272.964)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
You adjust the snap ring yourself. It doesnít come preset to anything other than it being at the top setting, which would set ride height crazy high.

You put snap ring to either match current place or point lower (Iím going lower as Iím putting new springs on top as they were very inexpensive)
Before i took my car to indy for the installation. i talked to mbworld forum member who has the same setup "B6 with original spring 08 RWD SP1" about the ring setting and was told that he use the shocks as is.
Same thing for me, nothing has been touched/moved, as my indy shop install as it was received.
I think that it does come preset for my car height.
After the installation, I measure the center of the front wheel opening and it's about 3/8 inch taller compare to my old failed oe shocks with same original spring.
The front of car does looks the same as before and does not look taller from the distance until i measure it.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

Vehicle: '09 E350 4-matic sport, '83 240D 4-speed (sold), '77/'78 450SLC (junked), '81 500SLC (junked)
(Thread Starter)
Pretty sure there are no B6s for 4matic sports, and I'm not even sure the B4s are correct, but I'm probably going to get them anyway.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Extremist

(Thread Starter)
Ordered the following Bilstein part numbers:

24-260619
24-260749
24-263221 (x2)

Total cost ~$420 shipped.

Will update when they get installed. Hopefully they're at least approximately the right stiffness/length...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in