Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Pumping Action when breaking...

744 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ot1 
#1 ·
Yesterday, i started to feel a slight pumping action when breaking coming from the front of the car (i.e. feeling it on brake pedal and steering wheel).

The brakes were done about 1800 miles ago and everything has been fine. Car is a 2008 E350 with 4matic, Sport option and has 117K on it.

I am wondering if it's ABS or the wheels, tires ? There are no codes ...any thought's/direction appreciated.

Thanks, David

#2 ·
If you mean the brake pedal pulsates during braking,,that could be several things,
1. Wheel bearings worn or out of adjustment.
2.Caliper not sliding properly due to bad installation.
3.Brake rotor warped.

If you had a garage do the brakes I would take it back and get them to check their work.

#5 ·
Good to hear it is fixed at no cost.
Make sure the wheel bolts are all at the correct torque,,usually 110Nm. Incorrect torque can cause this problem. Many shops over-tighten wheel bolts.
Also avoid riding the brakes which can cause a build up of excessive heat.

#8 ·
You had a brake job prior but were the rotors replaced then? You might still have a stuck caliper problem. Buy a infrared thermometer from harbor freight and check temps after driving 30 minutes and compare both sides, if there a large differential they didnt fix the problem. Shoot it through the spokes onto the rotor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.