BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2014
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up E320 CDI - Green Diesel Engineering tune

Well, I finally put my GDE Eco tune in last evening. The process was fairly simple. After I paid for the tune, GDC shipped me a flash loader along with a USB cable and a OBD-II cable with a 25-pin connector that connected in to the flash loader. Using the provided instruction sheet, I downloaded the control program that allowed a computer to talk to the flash loader, along with the USB drivers to interface it to the PC. Install the software & drivers on the PC, then connect the flash loader to the PC with the USB cable. Run the control panel program for the flash loader on the PC, tell the flash loader what car you have and what language you want, it uploads some software to the flash loader, then you go out & pull your current configuration from your car via the OBD-II diagnostic port following the supplied instructions.

Once you've got your vehicle's file in the flash loader, you download it to the PC you're using, then EMAIL it to GDE. They respond back (my experience was same day) with your eco-tune. Save the file to your PC, upload the tune to the flash loader via the control panel program, then go out & program your car. You will see all sorts of wonky error messages on your dash while the vehicle is being programmed along with audible alarms (mine showed the low coolant, engine off red alarm, ESP failure alarm, etc...) along with warning lights for temp and fuel level. Once you shut off the car and recycle the key they all go away. The entire process took around 20-30 minutes of time (not counting EMAIL time delay). I did my adaptation drive last night to Orlando and back so the car could re-learn since it has been re-flashed.

So far I've noticed that turbo lag seems to be completely gone, where before I had noticeable lag for 1-2 seconds when I went to WOT. Also the car does seem to be more responsive and a little more peppy. GDE claims roughly a 30HP gain using their tune and increase from 369 to 410 ft/lbs torque. 0-60 times up to 7.3 seconds from 8.0-8.1 seconds average. Fuel economy seems to be a bit improved, I was reading in high 30's for average MPG on the way to Orlando and back. GDE claims gains of 2-4 MPG if driven "conservatively", however time will tell on that one. Best I have done with the car so far was 39.6 MPG average, but that was after a 785 mile steady-state road trip down I-95 from DC to Central Florida. I'm getting ready to take a 3,000 mile driving road trip in mid-May so I'll have much better data after that trip.

The problem with doing the tune is that it's cost-efficient only (looking strictly at business case here) if you plan on keeping the car for a long time. At $700 out the door shipped it's pretty pricey for a box tune even if you do receive a flash loader, but since I plan on keeping the car for a while I decided to try it out. Just getting rid of that turbo lag was a very noticeable positive right away.

Eric

2005 E320 CDI model 211.026. Getting groceries at a store near you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:01 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
I am very skeptic to advertisements that give you more power, while using less fuel.
Free HP is not laying down on pavement to pick it up.
Anyway, thanks for sharing.
I sold 320cdi, but I prized it for not having turbo lag. Than although I never clocked it, is was 6.9 sec rated.
So my question is -could we be talking about placebo effect?
I always have the same feeling about acceleration after vacuuming cabin carpets, so it is not something unique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 01:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Don't know where the 6.9 seconds come to my memory, but double check and it is 7.1 seconds for 0-60 mph.
Meaning if your timing is correct, even with the tune the car performs less than it suppose to.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 04:21 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 84 300TD, 2005 CDI, 2006 CLS55
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1 View Post
I am very skeptic to advertisements that give you more power, while using less fuel.
Free HP is not laying down on pavement to pick it up.
Anyway, thanks for sharing.
I sold 320cdi, but I prized it for not having turbo lag. Than although I never clocked it, is was 6.9 sec rated.
So my question is -could we be talking about placebo effect?
I always have the same feeling about acceleration after vacuuming cabin carpets, so it is not something unique.
Free HP actually IS laying on the pavement waiting to be picked up. Engine HP is restricted for many reasons when the car leaves the factory. Unlocking those "reasons" is a common engineering act done everyday by those that know how to do so. Because you do not believe or know how to does not mean others do not. I have a w123 who's 0-60 is around 9 seconds; I get better than stock fuel mileage and have far more power. I've only changed one and added one item from stock to go from 125 HP to around 175. Your experience is not everyone's experience.

I look forward to more details from the OP as far as MPG and other changes.
kurtismayfield likes this.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2014
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
I'm going to give a wholehearted second to MTU's comments. I'm fairly new to Mercedes but not performance cars in general. Putting on my other hat, I proctor the forum system for the 2011 & up Chevrolet Caprices that are manufactured & imported from Australia by Holden, badged as Chevrolet. These cars are used for police work here in the US, very similar to the 2008-09 Pontiac G8 with RWD V8 powertrains. My other car, a 2011 detective model (9C3) is currently pushing around 380hp with a tune, up from 355hp stock. I can program the car with HP Tuners, but for my tune I used a professional tuner that's well versed in these cars, the quirks of the PCM's and the tunes.

About two years ago I had the pleasure of attending an informational session/class at Redline Motorsports in Pompano Beach, FL that was put on for the South & Central Florida G8 community. Redline does development work for GM in addition to being one of the best speed shops in the country, you may have seen their cars in Car & Driver, TopSpeed, LSXTV, RoadTest Tv, among other video & print publications. During the class, we had an opportunity to look at some of their project cars - Redline was one of the shops to get a pre-release 2012 ZL1 Camaro from GM to play with before public sale of the car began. Just by tuning & changing the PCM programming via computer, this shop was able to extract 60 more horsepower out of the car before any bolt-on or other powertrain mods were performed. They had before & after dyno pull results to compare and show the gains (yes, they naturally have an in-house Dyno). After being tuned and hardware-modded, the car ended up being a 10.32 second quarter-mile monster.

Some manufacturers are more conservative then others when it comes to the output of their cars, for a variety of reasons. I'll be the first person to call Shenanigans if enhanced HP claims are made without backup, but I can't argue too much with dyno results. Unless, of course it's from a Mustang dyno in which case the results could be under-rated.... lol...

In sum, yes you sometimes can extract significant horsepower gains from a car via programming. Sometimes. I'd prefer to think GDE is making valid claims as they have power & torque data charts & results on their website.

Eric

2005 E320 CDI model 211.026. Getting groceries at a store near you!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

You are dodging the question.
I drove Ford with 7.3 engine, that left factory with 230HP, yet one of the owners modified his to scale 4 digits HP on dyno test. Try to match that
Nobody is denying that increasing HP is possible, but at cost. When with cheaper brands remaping the engine management can do good improvements, Mercedes if famous for making the best management it is. When you tune it for more HP, the mpg has to suffer. No free lunch. Sure giving it updated turbo, updated injectors with equivalent software can improve both, but this is not the case here.
I drove motorhome that had the same CAT engine the Fire Departments all over the country used. The engine in firetruck had from the factory about 20% more HP than its motorhome version.
But Firetruck don't drive with pedal to the metal for 10 hr shifts, so doesn't take a genius to figure out that long term in some instances is more important than take-off at green light.
Still how-come your tuned engine performs worse now, then when it left the factory?

Last edited by Kajtek1; 04-23-2015 at 08:15 PM.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 05:38 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
You are dodging the question.
I drove Ford with 7.3 engine, that left factory with 230HP, yet one of the owners modified his to scale 4 digits HP on dyno test. Try to match that
Nobody is denying that increasing HP is possible, but at cost. When with cheaper brands remaping the engine management can do good improvements, Mercedes if famous for making the best management it is. When you tune it for more HP, the mpg has to suffer. No free lunch. Sure giving it updated turbo, updated injectors with equivalent software can improve both, but this is not the case here.
You are wrong on so many areas here it borders on silly. That's the most polite terms I'll use. Many computer remaps- if not most- increase both HP AND MPG. It's clear this is something which you have little to zero knowledge of and thus your speculation is just that- speculation and guessing.
Quote:
I drove motorhome that had the same CAT engine the Fire Departments all over the country used. The engine in firetruck had from the factory about 20% more HP than its motorhome version.
But Firetruck don't drive with pedal to the metal for 10 hr shifts, so doesn't take a genius to figure out that long term in some instances is more important than take-off at green light.
Still how-come your tuned engine performs worse now, then when it left the factory?
Again pure speculation of why "it's worse now". How a 10 year old vehicle performs currently driven by it's owner is NOT equivalent what was written by a writer in a magazine or claimed by the manufacturer when the car was new. Your figures of 0-60 are off as well: the 05/06 CDI was supposed to have a claimed 0-60 of 6.6 seconds by MBUSA. Car and Driver's test had a 7.1. The difference is unimportant. What is important is the OP testing his vehicle pre and post tune under conditions as similar as possible and reporting the results. What is important is dyno figures of pre and post tune. What is important is MPG figures pre and post tune. This is empirical evidence; which is the final answer of questions related to this topic. Empirical evidence is clear with regard to ECU tunes- they can and do raise HP, Torque and MPG simultaneously on a regular basis. Higher HP tunes can and do INCREASE longevity in many cases; in other cases they do not- it depends on many factors. It is not cut and dried that raising HP cuts endurance as you imply.

Last edited by MTUpower; 04-24-2015 at 05:42 AM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 05:47 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elc32955 View Post
Well, I finally put my GDE Eco tune in last evening.
Eric
Eric- thanks for posting this, and keep us up to date on your experiences the GDE tune. I had extensive talks with them regarding the tune however my bank account decided the issue for me- lol. Keep a log of MPG- both on the vehicle computer and fuel used divided by miles driven. Post those; we have a thread here. Of course you cannot post pre tune 0-60 times- which I'd hope someone would. Do you have a record of pre tune MPG? Also, ignore the haters.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Purple Moderator

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I have never re-mapped the curves on a diesel, but when I did it on what is now a track car it did get 27 hp more at the rear wheels and picked up about 36 more miles per tank of gas as it is still "street legal" and I do drive it around town several times a summer. The HP gain was verified on a chassis dyno.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 10:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

That has to bring the question Noodles.
With such excellent results, why don't you do it on all your vehicles?
You will get your money back in fuel savings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in