post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How To for Front Sway Bar replacement?

Morning all, was just wondering if anyone that's replaced their sway bar could give any advice or tools that need to be ordered. I can't seem to find much info about replacing the actual bar in the computer manual, just the end links. Also, what parts do I need to order? I checked parts.com and they list the bar and the end links, and then some brackets and things. What is advisable to go ahead and change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boardboy330 Send a message via Yahoo to boardboy330
If I may ask, why are you replacing it?

"I'd rather peel off my skin and bathe my weeping raw flesh in a bath of vinegar than spend any time with you. But that's just my opinion. Don't take it personally."

(\__/)
(o.O )
(> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

2000 ML320
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Well, I've replaced literally every piece of the front suspension ( inner & outer tie rods, main lower control arm, lower ball joint, thrust arm, shocks, brakes) except for the upper control arm & ball joint, springs, and sway bar (including end links). I have a rather bad clunk in the front suspension, still. When I go over an even bump (like a speed table), all I get is the typical 'whump' you would expect when going over a large bump, but if it's individual bumps, the clunking begins. I would just go ahead and order parts and try and replace it, but 1) It looks a little tricky (on a CDI anyways), and 2) I've already spent $5,000+ on suspension and tires recently, I'm trying to reign it in a bit. I've read a few posts about people wanting/needing to replace it, but none ever say exactly how.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 10:57 PM
Purple Moderator

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
except for the upper control arm & ball joint
The joint at the end of that arm can clunk even if it feels tight. Even the dealer missed it and I did it my self and took it in for an alignment.

Before you replace it gently use a pry bar and if there is even the tiniest amount of movement that is probably where your clunking is coming from.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 12:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 2004 E320 Wagon & 2004 E320 Sedan
I had what maybe the same noise you are referring to on my 211 wagon. It turned out to be the joint that presses into the lower control arm that the sway bar link attaches to. Replaced both sides and everything was quite.
My dodge truck has a similar type joint on the sway links and it was also making noises. Rather than replace the links I tried to grease them with a needle adaptor on my grease gun. Yes it did put a very small hole in the seal but I was going to need to replace them anyway so I figured I could do no harm. The grease trick worked fine and no more noises. The truck has a lot harder use and more miles per year than my wagon and now two years later still no noises.
I wish I thought of doing the grease needle trick on the wagon as it would have been much easier and much cheaper!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Noodles- should I try that with the wheel on the ground or the car jacked up? And reindeerman- I replaced the entire lower control arm, so hopefully the new joint is okay.

Thanks guys!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Purple Moderator

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
As far as checking for play that corner of car need to be off the ground.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2005 E320 CDI 120k
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm experiencing the same clunking. Replaced the right lower ball joint, front thrust/control arm and still a clunking. Upper ball joint seems tight. It's very frustrating.

Could someone post a picture of the front sway bar and where to pry to test for play???

Warren
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 08:26 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2019
I just want to comment on this thread as I have been chasing a similar issue with my 05' e320 CDI for the past few months. I had this creaking noise in my front end over small bumps, speed bumps, or just slightly turning into corners. So, being the handy DIY mechanic, and I have the luxury of a lift in my garage I set out to tackle this issue. I noticed a few cracked rubber bushings in the front and rear control arms, one ball joint was cracked, and the front struts at 120K. Well after replacing pretty much everything in the front end and the creak STILL was there! Well low and behold I grab the front sway bar in the middle while in the air and "creak creak creak"! Duh it was the bushings on the sway bar! Great I told myself. Fairly easy and cheap. Nope. Mercedes requires you to replace the WHOLE sway bar-not just the rubber bushing as 99% of every other manufacture allows. I bought the sway bar factory new online with new brackets for around $200. (MBOEMPARTS.COM). Anyways, the more I researched this the more I see it is not that uncommon of a problem. Anyways, if you're having a strange creak or groan in your front end, remove that front belly pan, jack your car up and try to flex the middle of the sway bar to see if you get any creaking. Hope this helps someone researching here.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 10:10 AM
Supporting Vendor

Date registered: Dec 2004
Vehicle: Too Many to List
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
We offer a wide variety of front end parts for that model, please take a look if you need any more items: https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/c...pension_system

Visit the AutohausAZ Vendor Section for special pricing for Benzworld members:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in