Headlight adjustment - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-21-2014, 07:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 2012 E550 Iridium Silver
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm not positive, but I think it is used for those cars that have self-leveling headlights. Inside the headlight, the mechanism is connected to the vertical adjuster for the Low beams. I think it is only used when HID / BiXenon headlights are fitted to the car. I think some kind of servo motor replaces the white cover.
414228 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 04:50 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle: cash corn belt
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werkstattmeister View Post
I'm not positive, but I think it is used for those cars that have self-leveling headlights. Inside the headlight, the mechanism is connected to the vertical adjuster for the Low beams. I think it is only used when HID / BiXenon headlights are fitted to the car. I think some kind of servo motor replaces the white cover.

The hid lamps cannot be manually adjusted ?
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 05:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I finally had a chance to attempt removal of the cover over the single adjustment screw. It is not possible to lift it over that screw without removing the headlight assembly from the car. If anyone knows how, please advise. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 05:51 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2014
Vehicle: 2008 E350 4matic Sport
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Maybe a little bit off-topic, but on start-up, when the xenon lights do their spiel with moving first down and then up again, do they actually adjust themselves based on the level of the car? That is, if the car is loaded (i.e. lots of heavy stuff in the trunk), do they compensate for it? This weekend I had the chance to drive a lot with the high beams on, and they seemed to point rather high. They didn't seem to go for distance, rather than height. The car was fully loaded, and I thought that they were shining way too high. As were the low beams, by the way, and a few cars actually flashed their lights at me, thinking I had my high beams on when I in fact had not. I've driven cars that had manual adjustments for the lights, but I thought the W211 xenons do that automatically. And if they do, is it done only on start-up or continuously; i.e. if the car is running and you load up the trunk, do the lights compensate for it?

Thanks,

Andy
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 06:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sedan
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangit View Post
I finally had a chance to attempt removal of the cover over the single adjustment screw. It is not possible to lift it over that screw without removing the headlight assembly from the car. If anyone knows how, please advise. Thanks.
It IS possible, I just figured out how the other night! Finally after almost four years of W211 ownership, I was able lower the high beams to where they should be! Why the factory had the high beams on US cars aimed so much higher then the low beams, I have no idea!

If you take a dremel with a drill bit attachment and make several holes in the top of the plastic cover around the perimeter of the high beam adjustment screw, you can then break off that section of the bridge piece by piece with a set of needle nose pliers, remove the three T-20? torx screws securing it and then lift the other side of the bridge up over the low beam adjustment screw and it pulls right out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3283.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2368209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3287.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	2368217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3297.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	2368225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3299.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	2368233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3302.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	2368241  

post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 05:42 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2017
Vehicle: W211 2005 E500 4-Matic Estate/Wagon & W212 E350 2012 4-Matic Estate/Wagon
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Not sure why you had to cut up that high beam headlight height adjustment assembly. Was yours not adjusting the high beam because the gears in the assembly were stripped out? Did it not provide enough travel to get the beam pattern where you wanted?

Normally you just use a socket on the large plastic nut from above without having to damage the high beam headlight height adjustment assembly. Just want to clarify that folks don't go cutting things up if they don't need to.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 06:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I believe that he wanted to adjust the hi-beams independent of the low beams.

John
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 06:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: W211 2005 E500 4-Matic Estate/Wagon & W212 E350 2012 4-Matic Estate/Wagon
Okay, thanks for the clarification.

I didn't know that the high beam and low beam adjusted together on the non-active, non-Bi Zenon headlamps. That adjustment nut affects just the high beam on the Active Bi-Zenon headlamps. Low beam height is set via Star on those unless you want to shim the whole headlight assembly.
MB_FanAddict likes this.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 07:08 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 2013 Mercedes-Benz C250 Sedan
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper Benz View Post
Not sure why you had to cut up that high beam headlight height adjustment assembly. Was yours not adjusting the high beam because the gears in the assembly were stripped out? Did it not provide enough travel to get the beam pattern where you wanted?

Normally you just use a socket on the large plastic nut from above without having to damage the high beam headlight height adjustment assembly. Just want to clarify that folks don't go cutting things up if they don't need to.

The problem is that the aim of the high beams is so off (for US 211 owners with the standard halogen headlamps), that when trying to properly adjust the headlamps either the low beams will be too low or the high beams will be be too high.

Had the low/high beams been more closely aligned at the factory, the bridge connecting them would not have been a problem. There is no way to adjust the high beams independently from the low beams until it's removed. I was careful to not damage the headlight assembly or adjustment screws in the process of removing it.

As shown in Craftysince86's earlier post, European cars do not have the bridge installed.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 07:33 AM
BenzWorld Member

Makes sense. Good photos, thanks.
MB_FanAddict likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in