LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 12:20 PM
Purple Moderator

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Spot on, not only do the K&Ns let in more dirt the oil used to treat them has been known to foul MAF sensors and in some cases gets to the throttle body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 06:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
Vehicle: '03 C320 4Matic Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I tried K&N some years ago and saw no advantage. The claimed horsepower gain was illusory. I wouldn't use one on a Benz that's for sure.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:07 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1995 Mercede-Benz S500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivbazan View Post
My 2003 E500 was jerking at low speeds but also was losing power and wouldn't take off from a complete stop without first hesitating. The jerking was happening whenever I was usually pulling out of and driving thru a parking lot - getting worse and worse. First, we tried to replace the MAF Sensor (mass airflow sensor) easy fix for even a beginner mechanic who can watch youtube and follow along. It seemed to fix the problem of the lost power. But after a few trips running a few errands within about 5 days, it happened again and the jerking was still sporadic. We took off the MAF, cleaned it, replaced the air filters with K&N, even replaced the intake hoses that were dry rotting...no luck. My husband is very mechanically inclined and after a few youtube videos and some common sense, he was just stumped. Decided to take in to the dealer for a "real good and thorough" diagnostics. Worst mistake of my life!!!!!!!
For $135 the MB dealer told us the code was indicating the issue was related to the vacuum system and recommended replacing the the EGR valve, the vacuum seals under the air intake cover. My husband decided to buy the recommended parts and do the work himself and save $730. It took him about 1 and a half hours to remove and replace these parts and about $55 to buy them. While he was under the hood, he noticed that all of the vacuum hoses were dry rotting and cracked, leaking lots of vacuum, so he replaced all of those lines. Also, thanks to youtube he checked another hose behind a vacuum pressure sensor towards the front of the motor and it was also cracked and disconnected!! Finally, he closes the hood and gives it a test drive. "check engine light" is still on and still power loss issues. We go to O'Reiley auto parts and have them check for codes for FREE this time, getting the same code plus one more that the dealer didn't give us. Still stumped, we come home and by fluke, while checking back on youtube we stumble across a video talking about how to check for power loss due to a dirty intake housing. My husband pops the hood back up, pulls off the air intake casing, removes the MAF sensor and the egr valve and grabs carburator cleaner can which costs only about $3.00 and a clean paper shop towel and reaches behind the motor into the air intake opening and gently cleans around the little "flipper door". There was not very much dust or dirt at all in there but it was a little dirty. He finishes, puts it all back to together, and about 45 minutes later after he started the cleaning, he's test driving and all power is returned and even better than before and the jerking stopped too!!!!! unbelievable!!! The check engine light was on at first but then after restarting it the next day I guess it reset itself. My suggestion, do not go to the dealer!!! They wanted to charge us $730 basically to replace parts that weren't even necessary and were going to just clean the air intake housing but make all this work for a simple fix and they even admitted to us that this is the known fix for the problems we described yet they didn't tell us simply cleaning that area was recommended!!! THEIVES!!!!

Hey i hope this works! Ive already pulled the EGR valve + tube to inspect and they were both clean. I just pulled and look at the throttle body and it was dirty around the edges. I went ahead and used a rag with some carb cleaner and cleaned it out as good as possible. Now i just need to drive it for a day or two and hope the light doesnt come back on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in