post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2006 E350 Sedan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
adding TPM to 06 E350

It's time to replace the tires on my wife's E350, and I wonder if it's worth having the TPM sensors installed into the wheels now, for possible future adding of the remaining hardware? Is this practical? I note the sensors are substantial size. How are the wheels kept in balance when adding the sensors? Are there specially balanced wheels specifically to accommodate the sensors, or does the shop have to add more balance weight to compensate? I would value your expert opinions. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Don't waste the money, the cost of the additional hardware, wiring, ensors (in addition to the wheel sensors) makes this completely impractical.

Buy a digital pressure gage, and check the pressures once a month.

TPMS is a liability out for car makers when a driver runs at toonlow of an air pressure. Tires in good condition that are replaced before reaching the wear limit and kept at correct pressures per the label on your fuel cap will seldom if ever require intervention outside normal pressure checks.

I would estimate to install a TPMS system, you would be looking at $3k or more with parts and labor.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
One can retrofit TPMS to the W211 You will need Four TPMS sensors Wire harness and control unit and LOTS of labor as the wire harness goes to each corner of the vehicle.

I have retrofitted TPMS to my W211 along with a few other OEM items

As for Balance its no problem just balance as normal

BTW There are TWO types of TPMS for the W211
Basic is via ABS sensors that detect a low tire as a low tire will spin at a different speed.

or

FULL TPMS that will tell you the tire pressure in the Instrument cluster and warn you of which tire is low

Last edited by Mark Cummins; 09-14-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 2006 E350 Sedan
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Outrageous Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivbiwire View Post
Don't waste the money, the cost of the additional hardware, wiring, ensors (in addition to the wheel sensors) makes this completely impractical.

Buy a digital pressure gage, and check the pressures once a month.

TPMS is a liability out for car makers when a driver runs at toonlow of an air pressure. Tires in good condition that are replaced before reaching the wear limit and kept at correct pressures per the label on your fuel cap will seldom if ever require intervention outside normal pressure checks.

I would estimate to install a TPMS system, you would be looking at $3k or more with parts and labor.
Thanks for the information. I would never spend that much on this. It would have been a nice thing, as it's my wife's car and I am away often for business. She could have kept an eye on pressure and been a bit more self-sufficient.

I have added an OEM system to another non-Merc car in the past, it was pre-wired for the sensing radios in the wheel wells. Only thing to do was plug in, add the control module, and have the shop code the car for the option. It was both simple, and affordable.

I've owned this and other German cars over the years, and done almost all maint. & repair. When someone speaks to me about "German Engineering", I tell them my experience says German Engineering = Overly Complicated. This equates to highly expensive.

Plan is now scrapped.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Does anyone remember from which year onwards the W211 tire pressure warning can be activated? This would be an almost free feature (depends on the cost for Star coding).

I've had a nail or a screw in my 221 and my wife had one in the 204 and in both cases the ESP sensor based warning system worked extremely accurately, the tyres had not lost pressure enough to make any visible difference.

Of course the full sensor based system is much more capable but as explained above, not that easy to retrofit. New models are actually much more simple, the W212 has only one simple wiring harness to the control unit, a single antenna plus wheel sensors, quite simple to retrofit. Unfortunately not compatible with the 211.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 12:37 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2010
Vehicle: 2005 E320(RIP) 2004 SL500
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
This would be a quick and extremely inexpensive option. There are other vendors out there this is just one and I cannot comment on how good they are since I personally do not have one.
TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Purple Moderator

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The highest rated one in a UK magazine was the Orange brand and it is well supported in the US. Also very affordable. Belle Tire in Bell Isle, MI sells the whole kit wholesale.
You will have to call the main office and ask for the TPMS dept.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2002
Vehicle: 06 E500 Avantgard
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DON'T even think about it. Mine works fine now (thanks to advice from Noodles) but if I could disable it so that the car didn't even know it had TPMS (it was OEM on my E500) I would do it in a heartbeat. More trouble than its worth. Just check your tire pressures every week when you fill up or clean the car!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Purple Moderator

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I agree about trying to fit the OEM system. The cars do not have the antenna at each wheel
fitted from the factory. Each one is about $160 list. You need four. Then there is the
setup and coding with and SDS system and adaptations that a dealer or very experienced
shop would have to do. I would put parts and labor at a minimum of $1000 list price.
The only practical thing would be aftermarket and IMO the Orange setup is the way to go.
The latest Orange system is impressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in