05 E-329 CDI Glow plug change went bad.. No power to plugs - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: 1988 560SL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 05 E-329 CDI Glow plug change went bad.. No power to plugs

My 2005 E320 CDI gave me a warning that the #2 glow plug was malfunctioning so I went in to replace it myself. "I am mechanically inclined." I bought a Bosch replacement plug that looked a bit different on the tip and had a White stripe around the top of the plug instead of a red one.. The Viking Imports guys of Charlotte said it was the right plug and not to worry..

The car cranked up, but ran like hell and was blowing tons of black smoke out the tailpipe.. so I removed that plug and tested it with jumper cables and it did not heat up so I guess it was bad from the get go when I got it..

I then went to the dealership to to get the exact replacement which they had for less than the Viking guys with their junk Bosch plug .. Upon installing this plug, the car will not start.. It turns over but no fire.. So I removed that plug and with it still attached to the wire, when turning the keep to plug light, I get no heat to the plug.. I then removed the #3 plug and tried to get power to it from the key and nothing..

All fuse panels that I can find have no blown fuses.. Is there a glow plug relay that I need to check, and how do I locate and test it?? thank you very much for you help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:34 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Nov 2009
Vehicle: 05 E320 CDI w/ 4 Zone Climate Control, Panaromic Roof, Parktronics. MB SDS equipped.
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does the glow plug always has to go on? Is it ambient temperate dependent? I wonder.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I just tried turning the engine over, with one of the plug wire attached to my Volt meter and when the key is on, the wire is getting 5-6 volts to it, and when I am turning the engine over, it jumped to 10volts, but the stabilized between 7-8 volts.. Are these the right volts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 02:58 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: 1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I see two potential problems:
(1) wrong plug
(2) damaged wires
I changed the #1 glow plug in my driveway, absolutely no problems whatsoever. It was a Bosch 80036, and I used the special MB glow plug wire removal pliers: 611 589 00 37 00. If the wire is forced off without the correct tool, you've got problems. If the wrong plug is used, you've got problems. But if they gave you the right plug - and you used the proper removal pliers - I've reached the end of my ability to assist.

That said, plug your code analyzer back in. All this tinkering could possibly have damaged the glow plug relay.

//greg//
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbcj7 View Post
I just tried turning the engine over, with one of the plug wire attached to my Volt meter and when the key is on, the wire is getting 5-6 volts to it, and when I am turning the engine over, it jumped to 10volts, but the stabilized between 7-8 volts.. Are these the right volts??
The plugs are getting proper voltage.

They are rated for 6 volts, 12+ (Facilitates faster heating) for 1 second stepped down to 6-8 during the warmup for approx 3-5 minutes.

You have another issue and its not the plugs.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
OK, he's right its not the plugs, I realized that when I pulled the plugs and turned the key to on position, I did not have the plug grounded so it did not glow... my bad, but now I put a ground to them and we got a Glow, so my next question is, how do I test the Fuel pumps?? I have listened for them, but I have horrible hearing so is there another way?
Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:51 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Whoa, hold up there. How did we get from glow plugs to fuel pump(s)? Didja pull the fuel rail to get to get a socket on that bad plug - and not bother to tell us?

//greg//
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 11:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: 222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
OK, he's right its not the plugs, I realized that when I pulled the plugs and turned the key to on position, I did not have the plug grounded so it did not glow... my bad, but now I put a ground to them and we got a Glow, so my next question is, how do I test the Fuel pumps?? I have listened for them, but I have horrible hearing so is there another way?
Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated
How many miles does the car have? Perhaps you have an issue with your injectors? The CDI fuel pressure is easy to read from the diagnosis computer.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2006 E320 CDI
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I just tried turning the engine over, with one of the plug wire attached to my 7-8 volts.. Are these the right volts??
The Bosch plugs are not correct for this car. I installed a set and had problems with the engine running rough after starting. I did some checking and the OEM plugs are 5Volt. The Glowplug controller has a preglow stage and a afterglow stage. After installing new OEM plugs I had no further problems. The Bosch plugs are 12volt I think and were not heating properly because the controller is only providing 5-6volts. If you are having problems you may have damaged the controller.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinwalke View Post
The Bosch plugs are not correct for this car. .
Excuse me? If Mercedes originally put a Bosch 80036 glow plug in your car, and it said Bosch 80036 on the plug you removed, wouldn't it seem logical to replace that plug with another Bosch 80036? I did, then cleared the Check Engine indication with my code analyzer. Car starts fine, the Check Engine light hasn't come on since. I'd call that resonable evidence - that the Bosch 80036 is the right plug for the OM648 engine.

//greg//

Last edited by grohgreg; 08-04-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W211 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in