slow acceleration problem....o2 sensors? - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
You can do a soft reset for free..

It seems to me, that once a week you can do a "soft reset" which takes less than 3 minutes, effectively the simplest and free method to keep your "zoom" factory settings.

I don't know of a way to overrid/cancel the adaption feature myself.

Keep the beat !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 02:43 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2000 E55 W210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1 View Post
It seems to me, that once a week you can do a "soft reset" which takes less than 3 minutes, effectively the simplest and free method to keep your "zoom" factory settings.

I don't know of a way to overrid/cancel the adaption feature myself.

Keep the beat !
I know of a way to completely get rid of the adaptation on the ecu, by unplugging electrical connectors to front 2 o2 sensors car will run constantly in open loop mode, the mechanic told me it is safe to do but this will be my last resort option if I can not figure out another way to fix the power loss.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 01 E55 AMG
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amgalex View Post
I know of a way to completely get rid of the adaptation on the ecu, by unplugging electrical connectors to front 2 o2 sensors car will run constantly in open loop mode, the mechanic told me it is safe to do but this will be my last resort option if I can not figure out another way to fix the power loss.
A Technician will tell you that running your car in open loop will destroy your catalyst. But I'm sure your super duper Master Mechanic knows better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sseric75 View Post
A Technician will tell you that running your car in open loop will destroy your catalyst. But I'm sure your super duper Master Mechanic knows better.
he did mention that it could be bad for cats if ran like that for long periods of time but i only have 2 cats upfront
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 09:02 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I changed my O2 sensor almost 3 weeks ago. It seems to stop the sputtering once I start it first thing. My problem is it comes and goes but what really noticeable is going up hill it has a hard time. If you put your foot half way on the accelerator you can feel it pick up but with a full pedal on the gas it seems to slow it down. How do you reset your computer in your car? I think it might be the fuel filter. What do you think guys? My engine light hasn't come on yet. That's what my mechanic told me to look out for.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 10:38 AM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbalc10279 View Post
I changed my O2 sensor almost 3 weeks ago. It seems to stop the sputtering once I start it first thing. My problem is it comes and goes but what really noticeable is going up hill it has a hard time. If you put your foot half way on the accelerator you can feel it pick up but with a full pedal on the gas it seems to slow it down. How do you reset your computer in your car? I think it might be the fuel filter. What do you think guys? My engine light hasn't come on yet. That's what my mechanic told me to look out for.
try a hard reset by disconnecting the battery under the seat for 2 minutes and report back with the results
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:45 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
Sometimes advice can be misleading..

Running "open loop" is not the solution to "performance" - and will just lead to premature failure of the cat's.

The O2 sensors have way-way less importance (if they are not throwing codes) than a MAF. The tolerance on the MAF can go way off, before throwing a code, and that variance can affect "performance" way-way more than a O2 sensor that has wandered from spec (again, that has not yet thrown a O2 sensor code).

1) Do a forum search - a proper "hard reset" WITH KEY OUT OF IGNITION disconnect both battery cables from the battery - touch trhe ends of the cables together, I twist tie them together for like 1 min, then reconnect the cables to the battery, and then WAIT for about 10 minuted BEFORE you put the key back in the ignition.
If you disconnect the battery for 2 minutes, without lopping out the system with the cable end connect, then the ONLY thing you are doing over a "soft reset" is killing the accessory system codes (like radio, windows, etc).
Make sure you follow ALL the system reset procedures outlined in the actual owner's manual.

2) If you easily want to maximize your existing perfomance - do a "soft reset" - which resets the major systems, but does not zero out the acceossry systems. After the soft reset, no additional reprogramming of accessory systems is required.
If the car has been not reset in 2-3 weeks, then if a "softie" doesn't immediately perk up the zoom-zoom, then start looking for other symptoms.

I have seen more (a) no softie reset (b) aged/out of spec MAF, and (c) dirty air filters do more to screw up E55 "performance" way-way-way more than failure of specific mechanical components.

If you are not happy, then the cars is worth the chase.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Running "open loop" is not the solution to "performance" - and will just lead to premature failure of the cat's.

The O2 sensors have way-way less importance (if they are not throwing codes) than a MAF. The tolerance on the MAF can go way off, before throwing a code, and that variance can affect "performance" way-way more than a O2 sensor that has wandered from spec (again, that has not yet thrown a O2 sensor code).

1) Do a forum search - a proper "hard reset" WITH KEY OUT OF IGNITION disconnect both battery cables from the battery - touch trhe ends of the cables together, I twist tie them together for like 1 min, then reconnect the cables to the battery, and then WAIT for about 10 minuted BEFORE you put the key back in the ignition.
If you disconnect the battery for 2 minutes, without lopping out the system with the cable end connect, then the ONLY thing you are doing over a "soft reset" is killing the accessory system codes (like radio, windows, etc).
Make sure you follow ALL the system reset procedures outlined in the actual owner's manual.

2) If you easily want to maximize your existing perfomance - do a "soft reset" - which resets the major systems, but does not zero out the acceossry systems. After the soft reset, no additional reprogramming of accessory systems is required.
If the car has been not reset in 2-3 weeks, then if a "softie" doesn't immediately perk up the zoom-zoom, then start looking for other symptoms.

I have seen more (a) no softie reset (b) aged/out of spec MAF, and (c) dirty air filters do more to screw up E55 "performance" way-way-way more than failure of specific mechanical components.

If you are not happy, then the cars is worth the chase.
I have changed 2 MAFs in last 6 month 3rd one is one the way (cause all the symptoms lead back to faulty MAF), changed spark plug 2 times, spark plug wires, new 02 sensors. Still no fix yet to loss of performance plus i have a rough idle which cant be diagnosed either, no codes on the car at all.
I realize that 02s are less important than MAF for performance but the point is to put the car in the open loop to disable Long Term fuel trim where my problem lays. Long fuel trim in the open loop under wot goes to -15% which is what is killing performance on my car at least.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Maybe bad parts...

A genuine Bosch MAF sensor, are getting easier to get knockoff parts, I hope you bought the sensor w/hosuing from someone reputable (oft mentioned autohausaz.com for one). That should solve the problem, if somehting else has been too gimmicked out.

The OE sparkplug replacements (which are actually a upgrade from the original design are just fine, anything else is overkill and/or not a add-on in performance.

The only case I have seen that required a full spark plug wiring replacement was a guy who fired his engine on a overheating issue (the kook had put his fans on "manual" or so he thought).

If you are running CarSoft, don't get overkilled by data and tweak, the factory defualts (if you have not lost them) are agressive.

It is not worth the chance to ruin your front cats forever running in open loop - at best case to get the car to the shop maybe, but running around down on a daily basis will lead to a very rude bill.

You haven't mentioned your airbox, the stock filters do fine - a oiled filter can ruin a MAF in our big V8 sucking all that air in about 50-100 miles - sucks shit right dwon the throat.

"Rough" idle could be a bad mount, if it is not a traceable misifiring plug - I assume you used dialectic grease when you replaced the plugs a 2nd time, right ?
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 11:20 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
A genuine Bosch MAF sensor, are getting easier to get knockoff parts, I hope you bought the sensor w/hosuing from someone reputable (oft mentioned autohausaz.com for one). That should solve the problem, if somehting else has been too gimmicked out.

The OE sparkplug replacements (which are actually a upgrade from the original design are just fine, anything else is overkill and/or not a add-on in performance.

The only case I have seen that required a full spark plug wiring replacement was a guy who fired his engine on a overheating issue (the kook had put his fans on "manual" or so he thought).

If you are running CarSoft, don't get overkilled by data and tweak, the factory defualts (if you have not lost them) are agressive.

It is not worth the chance to ruin your front cats forever running in open loop - at best case to get the car to the shop maybe, but running around down on a daily basis will lead to a very rude bill.

You haven't mentioned your airbox, the stock filters do fine - a oiled filter can ruin a MAF in our big V8 sucking all that air in about 50-100 miles - sucks shit right dwon the throat.

"Rough" idle could be a bad mount, if it is not a traceable misifiring plug - I assume you used dialectic grease when you replaced the plugs a 2nd time, right ?
MAF I bought were form AZautohouse OE "Bosch" mentioned above.
my plug wires came greased from factory which was nice. I can not trace the misfire at all...
Airbox is stock with OEM type paper filters , I do not feel safe using K N types cause of reduced filtering ability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz AMG Forums > W210 E50 AMG, E55 AMG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in