post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2019
Vehicle: 1998 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Alarm Went Off and Now Almost Nothing Works

I'm brand new to the site, so if this is posted somewhere it shouldn't be, I'd appreciate some guidance in where it should go. Anyway, here's my issue...

I have a 1998 Mercedes E320 that I came back to at the end of the work day and tried to use my key fob to open the doors. It didnít work, so I decided to use the key to manually unlock the door so I could head home. As soon as I did, the alarm went off, and continued to do so for the next few minutes. I finally disconnected the battery under the back seat to get it to stop. When Iíd connect the battery back up, there was the flashing red light on the door unlock button, which Iím assuming was re-arming the security system. If I opened the door, the alarm would go off again. Even though the alarm was going off, the car would start and I could even drive it, horn blaring the whole time.

I called the local MB dealer and they talked me through a reset procedure of locking and unlocking the front door with the key itself (not the fob), but that didnít seem to fix the problem. Finally, the blinking light went off and I was able to start the car and drive home without the alarm going off, and can at least drive it without the alarm going off.

The problem now is that there are multiple systems in the car that are no longer working. Hereís a list of what doesnít work anymore:
ē Power Windows
ē Windshield Wipers
ē Power Seats
ē Power Side Mirrors
ē Automatic Door Locks
ē Sunroof
ē Turn Signals
ē Automatic Trunk Unlock

What does work is the radio, the air conditioner, the lights (front lights and brake lights in the back)

Iíve done lots of reading online and canít seem to find a solution that will work. Iíve disconnected the battery for 30 minutes for a hard reset, with no results. Iíve checked all the fuses and everything looks fine. I thought it might be a rear SAM module issue, but Iím no expert. Iím fairly handy, so if thereís something to try, Iím up for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:43 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Hello

First thing. There is no rear SAM for your car. All these items you listed involve the SAM module in the front (under the hood, at the driver's side, where the fuse panel is).

Starting from the first issue you had, that the doors did not unlock with the remote can reveal some issues. When you press the unlock button, some receiver receives and decodes and validates, the signals sent by the key, and issues a command to "unlock to the PSE (that one is in the rear, under the seat). This should disable the alarm and unlock the door or the doors. This signal is sent through the gateway (the SAM), over the CANB bus.

Regarding the other problems, I think the cause is the same. Either a bad SAM module, or a communications issue over the CANB bus.

Do your hazard lights work ?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2019
Vehicle: 1998 E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The hazards do work. I'll check under the hood and see if there are any obvious issues. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
The hazard switch is directly connected to the SAM and the SAM controls the turn lights through the Illumination Control Module (the module behind the headlight switch). So the SAM is alive.

I would check the front passenger foot-well carpeting, right side, close to the door sill for water contamination, wetness. That is where the hub for the body modules reside. Under the carpet. When the hub (basically a terminal strip) gets wet, it can cause all sorts of issues with the modules you listed.
Witek_M likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in