LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Nov 2014
Vehicle: 2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bulb out system detect inside bulbs too ?

...such as front drivers / passenger vanity & map lights ?

I'm hoping not as I'd like to convert our w210 to led interior lights, and would prefer not to have bulb out warnings trigger.

Fwiw, I just converted the highbeam H7 pair away from HID (one had burned out) to H7 LED - 25w per each, and to my pleasant surprise, the Bulb out warning the HID always triggered went away !

So, I'd be curious to know...

thanks, David in East Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:15 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
No bulb defective triggers for internal lights. I replaced the dome lights, door courtesy lights, the glove box light, the trunk light with LEDs.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboca View Post
No bulb defective triggers for internal lights. I replaced the dome lights, door courtesy lights, the glove box light, the trunk light with LEDs.
Great news thank you.

I just ordered my interior LED's.

Mr Boca, have you tried H7 LEDs for headlamps yet?

Cheers- David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Not yet.. I am tempted

1) The E320 is not my daily driver. My son uses it for his 8-to-5 job. So he mostly uses his daylight bulbs.
2) I have enough supply of H7 bulbs (4300 Kelvin, so they are whiter than the stock) to keep going for a few years
3) I will wait for the technology to mature a bit. I have read mixed reactions regarding performance. Not sure about longevity yet.
4)Not sure if it will require changes in the rear cover of the stock headlight assemblies.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:00 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2012
Vehicle: 1998 e430
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
i recently replaced my vanity lights with leds, no problems. i have a kit coming to do the rest of the interior bulbs.

camping trip last weekend made me think i'd like to conserve power there while loading / unloading. along those lines, you can pull the little pin on the trunk light switch plunger out about 1/4" to temporarily (until you close the trunk) keep that light off.

a bit more on some exterior one's to be wary of (& how to get at the vanity bulbs...);

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w21...l#post17680638
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Thanks to you both....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboca View Post
Not yet.. I am tempted

1) The E320 is not my daily driver. My son uses it for his 8-to-5 job. So he mostly uses his daylight bulbs.
2) I have enough supply of H7 bulbs (4300 Kelvin, so they are whiter than the stock) to keep going for a few years
3) I will wait for the technology to mature a bit. I have read mixed reactions regarding performance. Not sure about longevity yet.
4)Not sure if it will require changes in the rear cover of the stock headlight assemblies.
Hey PT & mrboca:

I've already got LED's inside ML500, er, w163 and they don't give any 'bulb out' warning. In fact, my 2002 ML doesn't seem to have that feature. Good. It's a stupid idea anyhow !

But, til now I've had partial HID on both MB's with HID low beam & halogen high beam.

On the w210 I have the 2000 year that requires bumper removal to change Drivers side low beam (oh joy...), so it's a hassle on that rig.

The ML, couple screws & out pops the assembly - much easier !

Well, I just tried the new 'fanless' 25w LED H7's on the w210 High Beam, and I all I can say is:

IMPRESSED !!

35% brighter than HID's on the low beam, and far less plumbing junk, wires ballasts, etc. Really just 'plug n play'.

These ones are the 'Beamtech' brand that have a largish heat sink, but no fan and yes they just clear the rear dust cover. There are now available extended dust covers in case some assemblies need more space.

I'll try to grab the link for you.

This matters more to us than others, perhaps, as we travel deer invaded rural FM - 'Farm to Market' rural highways here.

In 12 years, I've made contact with deer 4 times. By the Grace of God, no major damage but lots of smaller hassle & expense.

Latest of which was the w210 lost the radiator due to bent support when I launched over a dead Doe that way laying across my lane.

I had a burned out High Beam bulb, and I was looking down when it happened.

$200 later, the w210 is back with new radiator & un-bent radiator support.

And this is the reason I'm so thrilled at the new LED high beams, so I can see far further to avoid deer or hogs (the other road obstacle !).

Anyhow, I'm planning on trying a pair in the High Beams of the ML500, which like the w210, are now just plain H7 halogens.

Here's the one I installed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's my quick review:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...at_pdctrvw_srp

Hope this helps some out.

My wife noted their brightness, which means alot !

Cheers - David

Last edited by 2000 E 320 White Wagon; 07-10-2019 at 01:19 PM. Reason: add link
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_700 View Post
i recently replaced my vanity lights with leds, no problems. i have a kit coming to do the rest of the interior bulbs.

camping trip last weekend made me think i'd like to conserve power there while loading / unloading. along those lines, you can pull the little pin on the trunk light switch plunger out about 1/4" to temporarily (until you close the trunk) keep that light off.

a bit more on some exterior one's to be wary of (& how to get at the vanity bulbs...);

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w21...l#post17680638

PT,

That's an important safety / convenience point: less chance of a dead battery due to leaving a small inside light on.

The massive amp draw of incandescent or halogen almost guarantee a dead starting battery.

I have 5 children, so you can imagine how many times that happened in our vans over the years !

(they're all older now, so that phase is over...whew...)

I just know it's not always simple. Like on the w163/ ML I re-did all the interior in LED, and then when I tried to do the door bottom / front kick panel ones the system didn't like it, I think they flashed or just didn't illuminate.

Oh well, I just left them with normal bulbs for now.

Hoping to avoid that with the w210, if possible.

Cheers - David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in