BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2017
Vehicle: W210 2001 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
AC Water Drains??

Hi Everyone,

In Florida, this time of year is filled with heat and rain. On my 2001 E320, I have been having AC problems ever since the day after I drove 3 hours home in a constant downpour. At the time, my 4 year old Behr blower motor was working perfectly but after that drive, about 80% of the time when starting the car, the fan simply won't turn on. The ac controls indicate the fan should be running at full speed, but there is absolutely no movement or noise. In the early stages, cycling the ac off and on would cause the fan to kick on but later, it did no good. The only way I could get the fan to run was by opening the panel and tapping on the metal motor casing. It then always ran perfectly for the duration of the drive.

I bought a new Behr blower motor from FCP Euro in hopes of solving the problem for good. When I pulled the old blower motor out, the retaining nut on the top had surface rust and the fan did not turn smoothly, though the brushes were still in good condition. So I changed out the fan and used the new wiring harness that came with the replacement motor. I've been driving the car around for 2 weeks now and over the past couple days drove through more downpours and the fan did the exact same thing today. I started the car and nothing from the fan. I had to cycle the AC unit 5 times before the fan turned on. When on, it runs with no noise, blows strong, and has no problem at all speeds.

Could I have a problem with drains anywhere? I searched the forums but all I could find was the AC drain line which I believe is different from the drains for rainwater. I park under trees often and regularly clean out the two drain channels that lead to the rear portion of the wheel well, but those are the only ones I know of.

Cabin filters are good.

Any help is appreciated.

Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Lift your hood up and check the air intake box mounted on the hood. There is a drain at the driver's side, near the firewall with a flap, and it is supposed to drain into the receptacle in the engine compartment. Air is sucked in through the inlet on the hood , and any rain water, or car wash water is supposed to be drained out through the drain hole. If the drain hole is plugged with crud and leaves, you will have water collected in the inlet box which part of it will end up in the blower and the ducts.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2017
Vehicle: W210 2001 E320 Wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboca View Post
Lift your hood up and check the air intake box mounted on the hood. There is a drain at the driver's side, near the firewall with a flap, and it is supposed to drain into the receptacle in the engine compartment. Air is sucked in through the inlet on the hood , and any rain water, or car wash water is supposed to be drained out through the drain hole. If the drain hole is plugged with crud and leaves, you will have water collected in the inlet box which part of it will end up in the blower and the ducts.
Thank you so much mrboca. I have never checked this drain before and it was completely clogged. I also have that rubber flap 140 832 0084. Do you know what purpose this flap serves?

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2030.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	2522296   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2031.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2522298  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
That is the water drain for the climate control air intake to prevent flooding the car when the bottom drain gets blocked.

Make sure that the drain pipe itself is not clogged. It is kind of over the CPS, and if it is clogged, some of the water overflow ends up on the CPS connector, which may cause stall issues.
tmabiker, southpaw and rcflyyer1 like this.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:56 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1998 E320 Sedan RWD 150k mi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Hopefully that drain was the only problem. If not, when I was having similar problems I found out the air intake vents on the hood were all clogged up from years of water/gunk and once I pulled that apart cleaned it airflow was way better. Also, if you end up having to replace the blower again, I went through several resistors before trying the s-class fan (look it up in the threads) and it's been great for a year or two now, wish I would have done that the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in