post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2014
Vehicle: 1997 S320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
MB 2001 E320 with 105K miles comments

I have a chance to buy a 2001 E320 for about $2700 . It says it only as 105K miles. It is a dealer. I=The adds says it run great and there are no know problems. The only issue is a dent about the size of a grapefruit in the right rear quarter panel. Otherwise the upholstery and other feature looks good in the pictures.

ANY suggestions on what I should watch out for? Is it OK for me to bring my OBD2 tester and check it out?

TIA Dan Mauch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:58 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 2002 E55 AMG Sedan
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
The OBD scanner will only show check engine related error codes. Nothing else.

Check for rust around trunk lock, sunroof, underneath car, front of hood near grill, bottom of the doors, and the inside part of the bottom of the doors.

Check too make sure all features and electronics work. Scan the HVAC for error codes. To this follow the instructions on this link starting at step 3.
http://manual.startekinfo.com/manual/JSP/cc/3_5/m15.jsp

If the car has a comand system then you need to scan that for error codes too. If you have the comand system press the SVC button and go to AUX. Then press and hold Mute, 1, 3 at the same time and wait for the screen to change. Then go to diagnosis and check the error list. This will show you error codes for the entire audio system.

When you are driving the car listen for any knocking sounds going over bumps. Sway bar bushings will cause this. Check motor mounts. They are expensive to replace. To check for motor mounts rev engine a few times in park and look to see if engine wants to jump out of the engine bay.

Show up early to your appointment to view the car. Maybe an hour before your appointment. This way the dealer won't be expecting you and they can't hide anything. For example if they know you are showing up at 3 they may warm up the car a little while beforehand to hide any problems that may show up when the engine is cold.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:47 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2018
Vehicle: 1997 E420, 1999 E320, 2002 S600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmauch View Post
I have a chance to buy a 2001 E320 for about $2700 . It says it only as 105K miles. It is a dealer. I=The adds says it run great and there are no know problems. The only issue is a dent about the size of a grapefruit in the right rear quarter panel. Otherwise the upholstery and other feature looks good in the pictures.

ANY suggestions on what I should watch out for? Is it OK for me to bring my OBD2 tester and check it out?

TIA Dan Mauch
Absolutely not, unless you already have enough tools in your garage to run an automobile repair shop, and you're willing to do all the maintenance and repairs yourself, and are patient enough to do them because there will be plenty of repairs and plenty of research.

I bought my 2002 S600 for $3000, my 1999 E320 for $2500, and my 1997 E420 which also had 105K miles for $1600, so I think you can do better price wise.

If you like these old cars like I do, then at least buy a more thorough scanner like this one,

FOXWELL OBD2 Diagnostic Tool Scanner NT520 PRO for Mercedes vehicles incl. Multiplexer 38 PIN connector/adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CJY4V6X..._pi1bDbMKA5Y42

and then use it to shop around, you will definitely need when you become an owner anyway lol

Repairs are just too costly with a mechanic otherwise, and I learned to cut better deals because oftentimes you'll have to replace things like tires, rotors and the battery with cars this old, so check those too.

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk
pt_700 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in