2001 E320 Possible Torque Converter Issue After Conductor Plate Service - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2001 E320 Possible Torque Converter Issue After Conductor Plate Service

Hello and I am new to the forum, I recently replaced the conductor plate on my 2001 E320 to correct an issue related to the speed sensor. When filling the car with fresh fluid, it seemed to go in and out of gear perfectly. When the fluid was filled to the correct level, I took it for a test drive and all seemed well until I got to the first stop. The car stalled on me at the intersection.. as if the torque converter would not slip. The car now makes a horrible grinding noise from the area where the torque converter lies (in park and neutral) and when attempting to put the car in gear it now stalls almost instantly. I am unsure if there is anything I may have missed when attempting to do this job. Any input on how to troubleshoot and correct something like this would be appreciated. I do have a scan tool that allows me to read/erase transmission codes but unfortunately the vehicle is not throwing any.

Thank you for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1972
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Pan was clean? No metal on magnet? One thing that comes to mind is mechanically stuck open TCC solenoid.

1972 280SEL 4.5
1999 ML320
2000 E320
2003 ML350
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2005
Vehicle: E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
From what I read, the speed sensor error often is trigger by wet pilot bushing and I don't read you reporting the bushing replacement?
When you have shorts in computer wiring, all kind of Hell can happen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:58 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1170 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Check the attached link out.

First item

STAR TekInfo
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
There were a few fine metallic particles present, but for a transmission with 160k it didn’t seem too offensive. I didn’t test the solenoids as there were no issues caused by them before the repair. I’ll most likely take it all apart again today. Is there a test I can run on that TCC solenoid to determine if that’s the culprit?

Thank you
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
The pilot bushing was replaced. I bought a pretty neglected car unfortunately so the PO tried sealing the old one.. my transmission computer was flooded due to it and that has since been cleaned. None of those fixed the issue of a rough shift from 2nd to 3rd and occasionally a soft limp so I decided to investigate the conductor plate itself. The speed sensor on the conductor plate had a crack
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:17 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1972
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green210 View Post
There were a few fine metallic particles present, but for a transmission with 160k it didnt seem too offensive. I didnt test the solenoids as there were no issues caused by them before the repair. Ill most likely take it all apart again today. Is there a test I can run on that TCC solenoid to determine if thats the culprit?

Thank you
Speck of dirt may have gotten into solenoid during plate replacement. Since o-rings for solenoids are not available from MB get o-ring kit here.

https://cobratransmission.com/MB-722...noid-ORing-Kit

Here is video for solenoid air check.

1972 280SEL 4.5
1999 ML320
2000 E320
2003 ML350
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
That first line on StarTek Info sounds exactly like what’s going on. I picked up a used solenoid today (will test and clean before replacement) and ordered the new o rings and drain plug washer. Once I have everything apart I’ll probably opt to thoroughly clean the valve body as well this time. I appreciate all of y’alls help and will get back to y’all once everything is back together again
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Sep 2016
Vehicle: 2002 E55 AMG Sedan
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
You should replace the filter again as well. It has an o ring and it's not meant to be used more than once.

Also it's not a good idea to get a used TCC lock up solenoid. Out of all the solenoids on the valve body the TCC solenoid fails most frequently. Just buy a new one.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I guess I figured those solenoids would be hardy, but a new solenoid and filter have been ordered. I really don’t want to do this job for a third time so I don’t plan on taking chances where I shouldn’t. I appreciate the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in