post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jun 2019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1997 e420

Hi

I have a 1997 E420 and am having difficulty finding the radiator fan speed module. I've had the front end apart several times and have spoken to the dealerships as well as several "experts" but nothing has helped so far. I suspect the module is actually built into the computer system.

When the car is running with the AC on, the electric fans do not come on. The only way I can get the fans on is to hold down the left and right auto buttons on the climate control for about 30 seconds. this will kick the fans into full speed.

I purchased a new module on ebay, which is a block fined aluminum unit which is supposed to fit a 1997 W210 model.

I'm at a total loss here as I cannot located this module.

I appreciate any and all help.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:44 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2019
Vehicle: 1998 E300 turbo diesel
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
have you checked the relay?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockDaddy View Post
Hi

I have a 1997 E420 and am having difficulty finding the radiator fan speed module. I've had the front end apart several times and have spoken to the dealerships as well as several "experts" but nothing has helped so far. I suspect the module is actually built into the computer system.

When the car is running with the AC on, the electric fans do not come on. The only way I can get the fans on is to hold down the left and right auto buttons on the climate control for about 30 seconds. this will kick the fans into full speed.

I purchased a new module on ebay, which is a block fined aluminum unit which is supposed to fit a 1997 W210 model.

I'm at a total loss here as I cannot located this module.

I appreciate any and all help.

Steve
One quick question.

Why do you want to change the aux fan control module ?? The one that controls the auxiliary fans ?

You have already proven that the fans work, and the module provides power to the fans when you pres the AUTO buttons.

There is no need for the fans to turn on, if you turn the a/c on. It is supposed to turn on WHEN it needs to, meaning when the refrigerant pressure goes above 14 bars at the high side. So if you refrigerant pressure never gets there, the fans will not turn on (unless they turn on due to coolant temperature going high).

If you a/c cools fine, do not worry about the fan not turning on. They are auxiliary, not the main fan which is the visco fan that turns on all the time the engine runs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies.

I can only assume the relay is fine/working as the fans do come on when I override the module as I stated initially. Am I wrong in thinking they turn on VIA the same electrical circuit, through that relay?

I understand the electric fans are auxiliary and supplemental to the viscous fan driven by the engine itself. The reason I suspected a bad aux fan control module is because the fans NEVER come on, whether the AC is on or not. After reading several forum posts online, I came to the conclusion the fans are supposed to come on when the AC is turned on, no matter what; hence me ordering as new aux fan control module, which varies the fans speed 0 to 100% depending on what's needed.

Please advise
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:30 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: 1972
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Have you checked refrigerant pressure using both manifold gauge and AAC panel readout? If pressure reported by sensor is low fans will no get activated.

1972 280SEL 4.5
1999 ML320
2000 E320
2003 ML350
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:35 AM
Outstanding Contributor

There is no relay. It is a regulator what adjusts the speed of the fans with variable length pulses (electronic control). And yes the climate controller controls the speed of the fans based on the coolant temperature and the refrigerant pressure.

If your car engine is not overheating and there is not much demand from the climate control, there is no need for the aux fans to come on. If your refrigerant pressure level is high enough, it will come on at various speeds depending on the pressure level (low speed at 14 bars, high speed at 20 bars if I remember right)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

(Thread Starter)
Thank you. I will run some tests and see how things check out over the next few days.

I would still like to know if the W210 e420 model had a aux fan control module and where it is located because I never did manage to find it.

Did certain W210 models have them and others did not?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:34 AM
Outstanding Contributor

For your car model and year it is most likely located as in figure 3. Later models have it in figures 4 and 5
Attached Files
File Type: pdf N65.pdf (444.3 KB, 10 views)
BigBlockDaddy likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
On my 97 it was figure 5, behind front left fender liner, against the frame crumble zone.

--1998 MB E300TD 291k
--1997 MB E36 Frankenstein'd AMG 199k
--2011 Suzuki DL650 58k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--1997 MB C36 AMG 273k -- stripped and junked
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Outstanding Contributor

It depends on the model year as well as the model. For a W210 with 119 engine (E420) It shows that N65 is used instead of N65/1 (which is for the E320).

Figure 1

STAR TekInfo
BigBlockDaddy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in