post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2019
Vehicle: 1999 E320 Wagon: 130,000 miles
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1999 MB e320 wagon fog / brake lights

Does anyone know of a common fuse for the brake light and fog lights? I have no voltage at stop/brake lights when braking and no voltage at fog light when turned on. Interestingly, the fog lights have voltage and shine when expected when door is closed after lights on and key removed. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2015
Vehicle: w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Have you checked the brake light fuse in the light module fuse box at the end of the car dash?

In the fuse box at the end of the dash (along the side) on the driver's side is for the brake lights.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:50 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucE320 View Post
Does anyone know of a common fuse for the brake light and fog lights? I have no voltage at stop/brake lights when braking and no voltage at fog light when turned on. Interestingly, the fog lights have voltage and shine when expected when door is closed after lights on and key removed. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.
Check fuses 2 and 9 on the driver side dash fuse panel as shown in the attached.

You are being redirected...

If your fog lights work with door close, this tells me that is is not the fuse issue at least for the fog lights.

Do you have "lamp defective" message come up on the dash if you turn the fog lights on, WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Yes. The lamp defective light has been on.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:35 AM
BenzWorld Elite

The defective light warning can be turned on due to brake light as well as due to fog light or both. What you need to do is start the car, do not press the brake pedal or do not turn the fogs on. You should have no lap defective warning on. Now turn the fogs on. If you have a defective light warning at that point, you have a problem with the wiring / connector / incorrect bulb issue. If you do not, and the fog lights do not turn on, then you have a bad switch.

Last edited by mrboca; 05-30-2019 at 10:04 AM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
You are right. The "lamp defective" message is not on when I start the car, appears when I touch the brakes or when I turn on the fogs. I'll let you know what I find later this evening.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
This has gotten a bit interesting. I decided to methodically make sure all bulbs, connections, etc. for all lights were working well. I found 4 bulbs that needed attention and were replaced; a passenger front fog light, brake light in rear panel door (reminder this is a wagon), the driver front side marker light, and one of the rear license plate lights. These were all fixed. Now two license plate lights, three reverse lights in rear panel, one brake light in rear panel, two brake lights in rear lens, two tail lights in rear lens, two marker lights in rear lens, two high beam headlights, two low beam headlights, two front fog lights, and two front side marker lights work when powered. However, I still get independent “lamp defective” messages when I press on the brakes or turn on the fog lights. The fog lights do not illuminate when the fog switch is turned on, there is no voltage to the bulb connector. However, the fog lights do illuminate for the approximately 10 seconds when the door is closed after the lights have been switched on. Any suggestions/comments appreciated. Sorry for the length of these comments but wanted to have all the information presented.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
The "lamp defective" message with the application of the brake pedal is resolved. There was a crack in the stop light lamp holder in the passenger side tail light. It was a small crack making the error intermittent.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

First, make sure that the H1 fog lamps are rated at 55W halogen. None of those LED stuff unless they have error free hardware.

Second make sure that the fog lamp grounding is properly done.

You will not get lamp defective with the key out (or even with the key in but the car not started (you can test this, may be I am wrong). The bulb supervisor circuit does not monitor bulb current when the key is out.

With the key in, the supervisory circuit detects over-current or under-current and turns off the supply to the bulbs.

Grounding points are at both left and right wheel housing (along with the headlamp grounding).

You solved the brake light issue already which is good.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the comments. I will definitely check the grounding again. I checked the voltage at the fog light connector with key on. There is no voltage with just the key on (expected); 12 volts for the approx. 10 seconds after the door is closed when lights have been turned on (expected); but no voltage when fog lights turned on. Also, there is no voltage at fuse 9 when the fog lights are turned on. I'm thinking it might be the light switch. I sprayed the switch with DeoxIT but didn't change results (I wasn't able to get much DeoxIt into the switch).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in