post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2013
Vehicle: 1995 Mercedes-Benz E420, 1990 560SEL, and 2000 E320 wagon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question No Crank, Shifter in park

I have a 2000 W210 E320 wagon (not 4matic). The other day my wife brings car home indicated that the Traction triangle light came on when started and never went off. I went out to look at it and the ignition turns fine, but no sound at all not even click. The selector is stuck in park as well. The brakes lights come on when pedal depressed. The starter when jumped at starter relay turns fine. seems to be either the brake light switch ( if it can cause these malfunctions even though brake lights work? ) the next thing I suspect is the EIS ( is there a test for that?)
Finally I asked family did anyone spill into selector, all said no ( I agree foolish design for MB to put next to such a vulnerable part a cup holder without some external cover or water proof protection) Are there any other things I should check? All fuses have been tested with voltmeter. The relays for starter checked for function and continuity after powering with 12V. I do not have a MB code reader I need to get one, as I have two other MB's, a 1990 560 SEL and a rare 1995 E420 only 1,500 made world wide, the 94's are much more plentiful. Any way looking for most obvious failures and ways to test components.
I am dreading the conductor plate and connector on Transmission ( I hope that is not the problem), I checked for wicking of trans fluid at TCM all dry.

I started with the brake light switch. The only hesitation I had with that is that the brake lights work, and I had just replaced that switch last year ( the symptoms were different then I actually could still drive the car just had no brake lights, unlike the W124 when it happened ( had no brake lights ) it went into limp mode and would not start the next day. The battery was just swapped with my W126 battery 1000 CCA so I am certain the battery is not the cause, but will trickle charge after brake light switch change out.

Replaced brake light switch ( no change ) I guess i have an extra one. disconnected battery put on trickle charge over night the battery at hook up was not low but kept on charge all night anyway. reconnected battery tried to start no change. Guess I am buying a scanner, I seem to be having problem discovering which one I should get? the W126 no scanner would work with anyway, the W124 would require the 38pin setup and available software, won't peruse that yet, The case in front of me is the W210 E320 which many scanners do not list at all like the iCarsoft MBII for Mercedes Benz/Sprinter/Smart Professional Diagnostic Tool Scanner ABS,SRS ect W210 not listed Think I will purchase the Foxwell NT 510 scanner with a 38 pin adapter is that advisable?

The Autel DS708 with 38 pin adapter was suggested by a very helpful Mercedes brother on the other forum but that is out of my price range as of today. I am leaning towards the Foxwell NT 510 immediately then get the Autel DS708 at a later date. any further suggestions on how to proceed or what common thing to check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:39 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1998 E320 base sedan @ 160kmiles
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mrboca
Hello

Regarding the scanners, the Foxwell with its specific 38 pin connector adapter should be fine for your testing purposes.

Have you tested the fuses on the K40 with voltages on BOTH sides when the key is in position 2 (especially fuse 3 which powers the ESM (shifter) and the TCM.). ?

Typically the brake pedal switch should not cause the engine not to crank, but it would cause the shifter not to shift when it has problems. The traction light being on before the failure seems to give some clues, as the traction module mat have lost the power. Without the proper signaling from the traction module to the other modules, the car will not start.

Do you have a fan in your module box ? Check the 2 pin connector next to the starter relay / 40 amp orange fuse corner. Is the connector empty or does it have a connector with two wires ?
rokacook likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:23 PM
Outstanding Contributor
SDS Guru

Date registered: Apr 2014
Vehicle: 1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E320
Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 738 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboca View Post
Without the proper signaling from the traction module to the other modules, the car will not start.
It was in my understanding that in order the engine to start, the EIS verifies the key, unlocks the ESL, sends start signal to ECU.

ECU then checks transmission gear position, compares to shifter gear position, and if they are either in P/N, it will activate starter solenoid.

The traction control module has no bearing in preventing the car to start. Or am I getting the wrong idea?

--1998 MB E300TD 291k
--1997 MB E36 Frankenstein'd AMG 199k
--2011 Suzuki DL650 58k
--1997 MB E320 161k. SOLD...loved that stupid car.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--1997 MB C36 AMG 273k -- stripped and junked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:07 AM
Outstanding Contributor

If a bad traction module (N47) garbles the CAN C bus, the communications between the EIS, ECU, TCM, ESM, IC etc. will not reliably take place to start the car. I am not saying the ETC (Traction module) is bad, but the plausibility of the stop light switch (both contact sets, not just the brake light contacts) is broadcast over the CAN bus, and if not received by the other modules, it may cause start / shifter lock problems.

The EIS powers the modules when the key is turned through the polarity protection relay (K1) in the K40. Over time, this relay, or the K40 itself causes powering problems of the modules.
Deplore likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Cool Thanks

Wow this was exactly the kind of experienced troubleshooting help I was looking for. There is nothing new under the sun, and with the car being 19 years old, 230,000 miles this problem has appeared before. I am thankful your analysis was perfect #3 fuse in the K40 module was indeed blown a 10 amp fuse ( I have uploaded a picture of the K40 without the fuse so others can see). Also yes there is a small connector with two wires i guess this goes to the "fan" for the ECM? Is the culprit for blowing the fuse #3 or something else? https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkfJNXinMu5CgbERC5ghLiRlYuN9sA This is the link to pictures. I did not know how to post in thread. The car is now running great, want to understand why the fuse blew in the first place.
southpaw likes this.

Last edited by rokacook; 04-15-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: adding picture
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Is it okay that i share your answer on the other forum MBworld.org ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20190415_17_35_20_Pro.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2504674   Click image for larger version

Name:	K40.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	2504676  
mrboca likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokacook View Post
Is it okay that i share your answer on the other forum MBworld.org ?
No problem.

The fan is powered by Fuse 4 which also powers the one of the supplies to the ECU. Fuse 3 powers the TCM and the shifter. No power = no shift + no start.

A Blown Fuse 4 can cause the same.

Why did Fuse 3 blow ? It could be your K40 relay module is on the way out (high contact resistance in K1 relay = modules drawing more current to sustain power requirements). You had traction fault came up because Fuse 3 also powers the steering angle sensor (if you have ESP), and/or lower voltage supply to the traction module.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:08 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: '83 W123 200 '98 E200 Kompressor (both Euro-spec., 200 in Portugal, E200 Now in Canada!), '08 B200
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Brake light switch I believe has two circuits in the one switch, at least on my W245 B-Class. Normally open and normally closed. You can have the brake lights turn on and still have other problems. Normally I like to do a thorough diagnosis, but the switch is so cheap and so often the problem, I'd just go ahead and change it. Or use a scanner to test it (Icarsoft MBII will show the two brake light circuits switching over as I press the pedal).

Paul (Paulo Santos)
Youtube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'83 W123 200, '98 W210 E200K, '08 W245 B200
* Feel free to PM me if needed *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in